A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Pedal Relearn, Throttle Body Relearn and Idle Relearn

484K views 235 replies 73 participants last post by  457bg 
#1 ·
Pedal Relearn Procedure
Accerlerator Pedal Released Postion Learning is and operation to learn the full released postions of the accerlerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelearator pedal postion sensor or ECM is disconnected.

1. Make Sure the acceleartor Pedal is fully released
2. Turn Ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 Seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 Seconds
4. Turn Ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn Ignition switch off and wait at least 10 seconds

Throttle Valve Relearn
Throttle Valve Closed Postion Learning is to learn the fully closed postion of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness of
electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnect.

1.Make sure accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition ON
3. Turn igntion switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds. Make sure that the throttle valve moves during the 10 seconds by confrming the operating sound.
(You can hear the TB sound when you have key on and shifter in first gear and step on the gas. So you know what you listening for.)

Idle Air Volume Relearn Procedure
The Following Condtions Must be met in order for procedure to Work.

Battery Voltage :More than 12.9 volts at idle
Engine Coolant Temp 158-203 degrees Farenhiet
Electric Load Switch OFF i.e Air Condition, headlamps , rear defogger
Steering Wheel: Neutral Postion (Straight Ahead)
PNP Switch: OFF (Park Neutral Switch i.e. Clutch Switch...pretty sure)

1. Perform ACCERLEARATOR PEDAL RELEASED POSTIONS LEARNING
2. Perform THROTTLE VALVE CLOSED POSITION LEARNING
3. Start engine and warm it up to operation temperature
4. Turn igniton switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds
5. Confirm Gas Pedal if fully realeased, then turn igniton switch ON and wait 3 seconds
6. Fully step on and release gas pedal 5 time within 5 seconds
8. Wait 7 seconds and fully step on gas and stay on until MIL stops blinking and is steady.
9. Fully release the Gas pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL has turned ON steady.
10. Start engine imediatly and let idle. Wait 20 seconds.

See less See more
#102 ·
Hi,

my friend cleaned up MAF with MAF spare 9 days ago, I changed the air filter 3 days ago even it is not that dirty. it was ok right after I changed the air filter (for about 5 miles test driving). I thought it was ok. The next day after test drive, I drove it to the supermarket, I see it is 1100 rpm in idle even with regular operation temperate and it never comes down.

I did "idle relearn" today few times (through all the procedure correctly, then start for 20 seconds, still in 1100 rpm). is there anything I could do?

thanks.

#106 ·
way I fixed it

thanks for everyone's input and

I like to contribute what I have done to fix this issue: (I am not sure which step makes difference)
- my car was staying in 1100rpm in "P", I did "Idle relearn" few time it doesn't work so give up in the day 1 and disconnect negative from battery.
- after disconnect the battery for 20 hours, start day 2 try
- release MAF connector and reconnect again to make sure cable connects well without losing
- put negative cable back to the battery, (still in Parking P mode)
- start the engine to make it warm up to the regular temperature (mine is about 5 minutes)
- wait for about 30 seconds
- 3 times of "throttle relearn", when turn key to off, I hear light "da" sound
- did 2 "Idle Air Volume Learning" because . (in the last step, "start engine within 3 seconds after MIL stop flashing", I have little hard time to start up, it took about 1.5 to 2.5 seconds. Anyway, I just hold the key down continue to the starting engine point)
- let it idle for 35 seconds, I still see still 1100 rpm
- rev to about 6000rpm for 2 seconds 3 times
- shift to "D", I see it drops to 1000rpm now.
- start driving in the parking lot with very low speed for 2 minutes, I see the rpm is around 1000-1500rpm depending on how must gas I pressed.
- while parking the car and reverse in, I see it drop to about 800 rpm
- park the car (800rpm)
- put to "P", then I see about 680rpm!

#109 ·
Use a watch

Hi guys, I just cleaned my throttle body and got the same problem, PO507, weird unstable and too fast Idle... performed the relearn procedure and worked fine... I was about to bring the car to the dealer, then I read the post that says to use a stop watch.... yep, guys, use a watch.

Thanks again!

#110 ·
when you disconnect your battery before disconnecting the electrical component, then removing it from the car, cleaning with appropriate cleaner, wait to dry before install, install, reconnect, reconnect battery. usually you wont get an ses light.

#113 ·
make sure youre doing the relearn when the car is operating temp. ie your water temp should be like halfway. if you know someone with a consult or something, they can set the idle at a specific value for you.

edit: im not sure the effect of other mods, like cams, boost, etc throwing off the idle relearn.

#119 ·
This shit is SOOOOOO frustrating! I must of done this procedure about 15 times now. I get to the light flashing, let off the gas pedal, start the car. The car idles perfect for about 10 seconds and just when I think this time it's finally gonna work, idle drops to 500, car acts like it wants to stall. Then kicks back up to 900, then drops back down and continues bouncing back n forth between 500 and 900.....

#123 ·
Well I tried this again with the clutch pedal depressed and still not idling normal. Idles at 800/900 rpm for 20 seconds or so then drops down to about 400 rpm's and acts like its gonna stall. Then kicks back up, then back down. and so on and so forth. Also checked for vacuum leaks and have none. So not really sure what to do next. Any more suggestions would be appreciated

#127 ·
I have a 2006 Spec V, and i bought the Nissan Data Scan II, and it works perfectly, it has the idle relearn function that is a must for anybody with a Nissan 2004 and up, it is extremely easy to use, don't worry about relearns anymore!, you can do it anytime at your house, and is sold for a good price, just google it and you'll find it, this is for anybody looking for another alternative than the expensive Consult II, Hope this Helps anybody with relearn problems

#128 ·
or you know, pedal dance with a metranome app on your phone for free...

#129 ·
hey guys,

I was driving to home from work and saw my engine light on, went to autozone to check it up and got p0507.
Drove back to home to research about it and found this post. I followed the direction of what video do relearn. And engine light doesn't go.
Cleaned throttle body and put it back, started it, idle went up and down, then turned off.
Again, I did follow direction in video then started it, waited 20 sec idle, same problem... I did this like more than 5 times and nothing go away!

Help me please and thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.