A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Keep your rotors from rusting

16K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Jon 
#1 · (Edited)
Im sure it has been done. This is a simple how-to, i just got great results and wanted to share with all of you guys.

First brake clean your rotors and clean all the debris off.
Then cover the entire rotor with Caliper paint i used black.
Once installed the paint the touches the brake pad will rub off. The unused part of the rotor will still be painted, which prevents rust and make your rotors look nice.

#4 ·
Omg I want! I know what my next weekend project it lol that and repainting the door/window molding :)

Sent via Tapatalk with my HTC Evo 3D... Android ftmfw!

#6 ·
i used rustoleum paint..i forgot the exact name cuz it was like maple syrup thick and its been good as hell for 2 years on my brakes and rotors... also painted my rear beam control arms and many many other things with this paint and holds up amazing

#9 ·
i had a set of powder coated rotors, those didnt last long before they started peeling after the fist winter. they did look really nice tho ;)

#11 ·
i bought some rotors from craigslist that were manufactured in Germany and until this day they dont rust at all :biggrin: it remains grey looking like new except for the part where it makes contact with the pads. I had the rotors on for about a year now still no rust!

#16 ·
after rereading this, for those confused. you take yout wheel off to paint, obviously, and you paint your rotors and calipers this way. if you spray where the pad rubs the rotor, just spin the rotor while the caliper is on and it will move some of the paint from the braking surface. if you were painting caliper as well, just spray the paint off the pads with brake cleaner before you paint the caliper. the remaining paint will rub off the braking surface of the rotor during braking. dont forget, after this all drys, to clean your greasy prints off the rotors before reassembly

#17 ·
after rereading this, for those confused. you take yout wheel off to paint, obviously, and you paint your rotors and calipers this way. if you spray where the pad rubs the rotor, just spin the rotor while the caliper is on and it will move some of the paint from the braking surface. if you were painting caliper as well, just spray the paint off the pads with brake cleaner before you paint the caliper. the remaining paint will rub off the braking surface of the rotor during braking. dont forget, after this all drys, to clean your greasy prints off the rotors before reassembly
how bout you just spray the whole rotor, let it dry, and go drive it lol... just sayin

#18 · (Edited)
if you slapped on multiple layers of paint and let it dry, it might be a long while before it wears off, if you can even get the caliper back on it. spinning the rotor wet just moves 'some' or most of the paint off the brake surface so itll be easy to wear off/clean off after, esp when you can see where the pad contacts the rotor.

#19 ·
if you slapped on multiple layers of paint and let it dry, it might be a long while before it wears off, if you can even get the caliper back on it. spinning the rotor wet just moves 'some' or most of the paint off the brake surface so itll be easy to wear off/clean off after.
i doubt it would be long before its off... slowing a car down from 100mph to 40mph a couple times during pad breakin would probly do the trick

#20 ·
lol, i didnt think about using new pads, was thinking about getting paint on the old pads before i replace them, that way you get new pads, and clean the brake surface of the rotor that you can see from the rotating pad marks with gas or brake cleaner before it completely dries, but if you didnt clean the rotors, then youd have to just let it rub off. i mean really, are we painting under the hat too? inside the groves?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.