A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Altima SE-R headers

15K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  spare201 
#1 ·
hey travis,

need to finish up my all motor bolt on build with my altima. been lookin at headers and cattman seem to sound the best but everyone looks to get just ebay headers and slap em on. Im lookin at the megan racing ones and they are only $230. what would u reccomend man? I plan on getting the IM spacers and 2j's pulley as well. i already have a K&N filter (ebay piping) intake, npw block off and racingline y-pipe. (y-pipe goes bye bye if i get the headers though) But after the headers ill wanna tune on UPREV and see what i can pull. 270whp to much to ask for?(with headers, 2j pulley, intake, block off plate and UPREV tune)? or what numbers should i expect? Thanks man!

#2 ·
#3 ·
also and idea's on how to extend the 2nd 02 sensor? or should i have a exhaust place weld in a bung closer? lol

#5 ·
i run the m2 longtubes on my spec but i had to mod the y pipe to fit around the cross member. that wont be a problem on the alti though. they sound fan fucking tastic compared to the short tubes and un equal y pipe i had. ive had them for about a year now with no problems.

#7 ·
What numbers should I see? Ones

#8 ·
How much of a PITA is the install? Lol. I read somewhere 10hours. But I know u gotta take the I'M manifold off. But other then that it should be fairly easy? And is it really necessary to re torque all the I'M manifold bolts? Lol can't I just hand tighten them tight as shit?

#10 ·
I was talkin the 10hour install for headers lol. Not for the I'M lol

#19 ·
thats pretty accurate in my book. it was a bitch to do them in my car and i dont see an altima having a whole lot more room to work with. the problem is at the header flanges. the bolt layout makes it really hard to get to a few nuts and it required me to have 3 brands of the same size wrench because of not being able to get a full turn on one wrench so then i had to go to another to get another 1/16th of a turn. if the motor were out of the car though it would be easy.

#12 ·
O lol. Yeah cuz everyone I talk say it takes like all day and shit lol. Idk when I get back from leave and have 2 days off in a row ill throw em on. Well atleast try lol. My dam racingline y-pipe fucking rattles now. Idk if its a lose bolt or what but its so fucking annoying andmakes my car sound like shit lol

#13 ·
about numbers, been following a thread about a very nice altima SER on an other forum. the guy has every possible bolt on you could think of except the cams. He's got a good tune with Greddy Emanage Ultimate and put 265 to the wheels and mid 13 on 1/4. Might give you an idea of the numbers you could possibly get!

#15 ·
got a link to his build? Id love to get my altima cammed but the pricetag is a little crazy......lol $1400

#14 ·
Dam well i guess i need to get 3in piping. idk its stock so im guessing its 2.5in or whatever. nothing crazy just got hi-flo stock exhaust...But ill look into getting 3in. shouldnt be expensive.....But if i grab ur PnP upper manifold, spacers, pulley, and do the headers and UPREV tune i hope to atleast put down 260whp.

#17 ·
his looks almost like mine! lol! cept my rims are black and my eyelids are black :) but i like how he painted above the exhaust black....

#20 ·
To answer your question..

You have 2 options..

- Cheap, and "ok" numbers
- Expensive, and "good" numbers

Anything you buy from Ebay is going to rust, or discolor, because it's not true 304 stainless. It has a percentage of mild steel, nickel, and a host of other "filler" metals. The reason the parts are so blinged out, is because they are polished in huge automatic tumblers (polishing machines).

Also, the weld quality is hit or miss.. again, because you're dealing with a metal that's inconsistent. This is why cracks form most of the time. Believe it or not, the welding technique and equipment is NOT to blame. It's the metal.

When I build a set of headers, I buy true 304L (low carbon) stainless. It's millitary/aviation grade material, and you pay good money for it. But, it will not rust, it welds beautifully, and will not crack. This is why I offer a lifetime warranty on ANY fabricated part that I sell. I trust that 99.9% of the parts that I fab, will never break. I've had guys get into serious accidents, and our mounting kits, exhausts, etc.. all held up just fine.

Then, there's the issue of performance.. Almost ANY aftermarket exhaust system or header is going to make more power than a factory part, simply because of larger diameter tubing, no cat(s), etc.. But, there's a difference between a set of headers that make 10whp, and a set that makes 25-30whp on the same engine.

So, it just depends on what you're willing to spend, versus what you're looking to gain, or what you expect out of the product. Ebay stuff will look like crap within a few months, and it's hit or miss on longevity. Our stuff will look great, and last for the lifetime of the vehicle. We also stand behind it with a lifetime warranty. Cattman does the same, I believe.

Travis

#21 ·
Well how much would the header and downpipe combo be for my 05 altima se-r? Ill spend good money if imma be able to pull 20-30whp off headers lol. Thats nuts.

#22 ·
any update travis? would u suggest i do the mods i suggested above first? (pulley, IM spacers, PnP IM) or should i just do the headers you were mentioning and full 3in exhaust?

#23 ·
I would get the Gen 3 cattman setup if you need it right now.. But, if you can wait a few months, I'll have our VQ setup ready to go. Not sure on pricing yet.. but, it'll be close to Cattman.

I would do intake, pulley, NWP spacers, and SSIM first..

Travis

#25 ·
2 of the BIG bottles..

#26 ·
SSIM? And I thought cattman doesn't make headers for the altima any more?

#27 ·
Just looked it up lol vias.....did that and intake already :) I have intake, vias delete, and y-pipe. Got a ebay intake though lol. Ebay piping to a massive K&N filter :) but looks like ill swoop up a pulley and IM spacers before I decide to tackle headers, plus since ill have the I'M off might as well get it PnP......

#29 ·
O shit lol. Wait so I gotta cut out something from my I'M??never heard of that lol. Just vias delete. Learn new shit everyday......lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.