A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Round SE-R Shift Knob Group Buy

36K views 544 replies 19 participants last post by  yogi b 
#1 ·
I designed and 3d printed a new shift knob made of ABS plastic. I'd like to offer my creation to the community.

Although this knob is 3d printed, it is surprisingly durable. The threads are perfectly made during the printing process, then I chase them with a 10m 1.25 tap. This knob will thread on very tight without pulling the threads.

It is polished to a smooth finish. The color green you see will not be the knob you get.

It easily clears the poorly placed cup holders even with a sts installed.

This knob threads all the way down the shift lever creating a low profile short shifter.

A reverse lockout recess was also part of the design, and works well with a working lockout.

For any SE-R enthusiast, the SE-R logo is a must when considering upgrade parts. I know it is for me.

This shift knob is awesome if you're looking for a SE-R feature knob with a ball type design.

There isn't another one of its kind out there.

I would like to see at least 5 committed interests or the sale will not go on. Edit: looks like we have our minimum requirement.

Color choices are: Black, RED or BLUE or Blue (Glow 'n the Dark)

$18 each

*shipping included

Thank you for looking

SHIPPED PAID @shanover RED, BLUE (Glow 'n the Dark)
SHIPPED PAID @Tony Gunn BLACK
SHIPPED PAID @Kazspec04 BLACK, RED, BLUE, BLUE (Glow 'n the Dark)
SHIPPED PAID @kjg819 BLACK, RED, BLUE (Glow 'n the Dark)
SHIPPED PAID @westner BLACK, RED
SHIPPED PAID @AOSpec BLACK, RED
SHIPPED PAID @DaveSpecB15 BLACK
SHIPPED PAID @Sus Spec RED
SHIPPED PAID @2k4 SE-R Spec V BLACK
SHIPPED PAID @iicbh BLACK ×2
SHIPPED PAID @88GTRacer BLACK, RED
SHIPPED PAID @Kevin Truong BLACK, BLUE (Glow 'n the Dark)
All original orders are fulfilled. All knobs are shipped.

TUTORIAL

A huge thanks to @kjg819 for sharing his approach to finishing up these knobs to a near professional look.

Working time is approx 30 minutes.

Material needed: Spray paint color of choice, Spray can of clear, Sand paper of grits 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500.

First step:
Wet sand the knob with 1500 grit, then 2000. Clean off and dry.

Second step:
Clear coat the knob concentrating on the areas of the artwork. Apply 2 coats with 15 minute flash time.
Note* The first clear is to seal the plastic and ensure the paint doesn't bleed into the plastic.

Third step:
Apply 2 coats of color of choice with 15 minute flash time in between. Wait 1 hour to fully cure.

Fourth step:
Wet sand the color off with 600 grit. What's left is a crisp display of the numbers, shift pattern, and SE-R logo.
Follow up on the entire knob with 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit sand paper.

Fifth step:
Apply 2-3 coats of clear to the entire knob in light coats. Do not allow clear to run. My recommendation is to apply a total of 5 thin coats of clear.
Allow to cure for an hour.
That's it. Your knob is finished to a professional look.

Additional note*
Use painters tape to cover parts you don't want painted when choosing to use multiple colors during step 3. Example: I would prefer to always paint both R's red regardless of pattern color choice.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge+ using Tapatalk

See less See more
#192 ·
I'd pay double if you were willing to make one for auto SE-R'S...

#199 ·
Just make sure to ship Kaz's via pony express so it arrives after everyone else's hahahaha

Reactions: DaveSpecB15
#201 ·
Time to register Viper's Knobs, Inc and start rolling in dough...lol

Reactions: snoopSER
#211 ·
Thats some funny shit

Reactions: shanover
#212 ·
Any new pictures of additional colors yet?

#215 ·
They sure do change a lot between final printing and actually finished product. A lot of time spent getting them "finished". Aside from having to run your printer non stop for a couple weeks lol.

#216 ·
That is cool.

Glow in the dark wasnt just nonsense talk? Well then..

#218 ·
That's awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#221 ·
Got my tracking ;)

#222 ·
Got a package at my shipping address that should be my shift knob.

I'm gonna go grab my knob :)lmao:) in few minutes

#223 ·
Cool.

I must say....
Nicer than I expected!!!

I wasn't sure what to expect as far as weight and feel of the plastic. Dave approved :cool2:

Cobalt blue Sphere Ball Ball Glass

#224 ·
Man Dave always gets the first of the first. No fair.

#225 ·
Kaz had his FOUR in his possession before I had mine in my possession.

He just didn't post over here

#226 ·
Here mine r

Reactions: Sus Spec
#231 ·
First come first serve. I already know haha

#232 · (Edited)
I haven't installed it.

But I think if there were to eventually be a V2 of it I would like it to be bigger.

Another different idea I have, that would for sure be more time and more expensive. You could replicate the stock SE-R knob. They are actually a 2 piece design. You could make the top and bottom separately. Make them so they snap together. Offer color choices for the top portion and make all the bottoms black.

I'll try to get a comparison to a stock knob later.

Here is a comparison to a 2j V1, which is a good size for my hand. The stock SE-R knob is actually perfect for my hand, and why I still have never been able to remove it to try one of the many knobs I have collected lol. This car came with this V1 installed.

Vehicle Car Gear shift Center console Family car
Gear shift Auto part Center console Vehicle Car
Vehicle Gear shift Car Family car Auto part

#233 · (Edited)
I have no complaints. Especially for the price.

Just putting my opinions out there for others. Curious what everyone else thinks. People have different hands. And people may have different expectations. And I obviously haven't USED IT yet lol. So no opinion on function. Just opinion on feel and finish and hand fitment. Could be finished up a little better, but for $18 I am 100% satisfied with the finish. I could tell from production pictures how much work it is to finish these. I didn't expect perfection. It's as good as I expected. No complaint.

It's heavier and feels WAY more quality than I expected. I honestly expected to like it less than I do. I honestly can't figure out how to express how much better quality it feels than I expected.

#234 ·
Thanks Dave. It was suggested to me by a friend that I should have made them a little larger.

I made the diameter 50mm. I compared to another after market aluminum knob, which is 2 inches. I assumed 2 inches would be acceptable. I surely didn't want to make it huge.

Personally, I'm a fan of a 3 finger shift. But I honestly had nothing else to compare to but the 2j v3 delrin. It also was only 45mm in diameter. The difference is that it is flat on top, which makes it feel bulkier in your palm. The exact sphere contour is probably ultimately what makes it "feel" small.

It does require about 1.5 hours of sanding to get them finished, then 30 minutes vapor smoothing. Trying to finish 3 or 4 per night after work gets exhausting.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge+ using Tapatalk

#235 ·
I'm happy with mine maybe I can try one of then out this week

#237 · (Edited)
I have really long fingers. Fits my palm. But my fingers are very long compared to my palm size. Everyone has different hands. Curious to see what more people think. And definitely some opinions of actual use. And installed pics.

Someone should measure the difference in cup holder clearance. If I can convince myself to remove my stock SE-R knob I'll try to remember to measure.

They'll feel different in different hands. I'm sure they'll be PERFECT for some hands. And again I dont really have a complaint here at all. Just for my own hand, I would prefer larger diameter.

#236 ·
Lots of work man. I'm not complaining AT ALL ;)

The 2j knobs are taller. The diameter would be fine if it was not a ball, and instead was a taller type shape.

I have not used it. I cannot take into account things like distance from cup holders if it was larger diameter. But I do know if it was taller (more height and contour) it would be closer to the cup holders. And honestly cup holder clearance I imagine is going to be a big benefit of this knob to MOST PEOPLE.

Just throwing thoughts out there. ;)
Opinions of actual use are what matters. Some of my thoughts apply to function. But not all aspects of functionality and with no opinion yet based in actual use as I haven't used it yet ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.