B15U.com - A Nissan Sentra Forum
    Newbie Taylor
    Rides
    Drives
    02 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

Default coilovers vs springs/shocks

hey guys i am upgrading my suspension soon and would like some input

im torn between some eibach springs with some koni shocks/struts or some std standard racing coilovers

all help is appreciated

Newbie David Escobar
    Drives
    2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V

Default Re: coilovers vs springs/shocks

Just warning you, the Koni shocks are a bitch to put in... top knotch quality though, won't bust on you like the K-sports or anything like that. The Koni's are inserts in front, which means that you're going to be using the factory strut housing and inserting the cartridge. The rear shocks are also NOT externally adjustable, you have to basically take everything apart in order to get to adjusting the rear.

I'd say (imho) skip the Eibach springs and go with the Ground Control coilover sleeves with the Koni shocks. They use Eibach springs anyways, have a lifetime warranty (whether you race or not doesn't matter), and are adjustable height from 0" to 2.5" drop. I'd never drop that low simply for the sake of preserving driving dynamics and handling characteristics, but to each his own.

Koni's/GC setups is one of the best you can get for the money, despite how much of a pain that the Koni's themselves can be to put in. While not quite the ridiculous "30 way adjustable" parts like D2 racing, Megan Racing, etc, they will completely outlast them in every way. Lifetime warranty > one year warranty from most other coilover brands.

There definitely are some good quality coilover brands out there though. From what I hear, Tein's are good quality and won't bust on you, but I hear they're a little soft. Again, the suspension was on a track car, so I don't know how much damping stiffness is important to you. JIC Magics are also tough stuff as well.

Senior Member Bob Lablah
    Rides
    Drives
    04 OBS

Best setup imo is Koni/ Ground Control combo. You'll have the adjustability of a coilover but better suspension travel compared to a coilover. The coilovers made for the Sentra are made by Japanese companies who typically favor shorter suspension travel since the roads in Japan are rather nice compared to those in the US. A dialed in set of Konis and Ground Controls will give you the adjustability of a full coilover but will retain the suspension travel needed on bumpy roads.

Example:

What stock suspension travel looks like:

Now here's BC coilovers suspension travel

Notice something strange?

The car is elevated off of the ground, and the suspension is at full travel which with these coilovers is basically nothing. There is about a 4-5" difference between the two.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you."

BDSF Karl
    Rides
    Drives
    Volvo V70 T5

Droop is completely adjustable on aftermarket coilovers as well, it all depends on spring preload which is something Koni/GC CANNOT adjust.

Hopefully SmokinJoe will chime in, he's run a ton of different suspension setups and I recall him having not-so-good reviews of the Koni/GC setup (but then again, his car is only used for racing).

Also, the only coilovers made (or should I say designed) in Japan are Tein and JIC. Megan, D2, KSport, etc. are all Taiwan designed/manufactured crap.
    "Do you want to go fast or do you want to suck?" - Mike K.

Newbie David Escobar
    Drives
    2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V

If you have the money and are really into racing... from what I've seen, nothing can beat Motons. Sadly a set of Motons cost more than I got my car for...

Senior Member Brandon K
    Rides
    Drives
    03 spec-v

fully adjustable coilovers ftw