A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

P0171 and slow-fill gas tank, 2000 SE

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  clayblasdel 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2000 Sentra SE, 2.0

Hello, I'm new.

I can't get an inspection sticker until I solve the code problem. I'm getting a P0171. Its been a problem for a few years. I have paid mechanics about $600 to replace one O2 sensor, installed a new fuel pump, cleaned the MAF. But the engine light remains on.

I don't know if this symptom is related or not. The gas tank fills very slowly - at about 1/4 speed, tops. Is the Evap system connected to the P0171?

While looking for vacuum leak in the engine compartment I found one hose coming from the crank case with an open end. I don't know if it is venting something. The hose running parallel with it, goes to the MAF box.

I am at wits end trying to find this problem and am considering a MIL eliminator splice.

I heard that 2000 Sentra SE 2.0 are noted for bad MAFs. I have heard that aftermarket MAF cause problems. Is that true? A OEM Mass Air Flow from Napa runs $900.

And ideas for this newbie would be appreciated.

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: PO171 and slow-fill gas tank, 2000 SE

I see you are an 'apprentice'.

I came here because I wanted to learn. You could have told me what "ECU" stood for, rather than mock my ignorance.

So I went to the acronym dictionary and found about a dozen different abbreviations and acronyms for "ECU" so I took a good guess.

There are also just under a million other acronyms and abbreviations. I'm sure that nobody knows most of them. Thats why they print dictionaries.

You can mock people for their ignorance or help them to learn. But mocking somebody's ignorance makes you feel superior, I guess thats the way you are. I'm sorry for you.

I'll find my answers elsewhere.

#10 ·
Re: PO171 and slow-fill gas tank, 2000 SE

the loose hose on the crankcase- thats probably your 171. unmetered air = lean condition.

As for the slow filling of the gas tank, i would blow the vent tube out with compressed air. sounds like its maybe not venting and the fuel your putting in is not displacing air. but technicaly, you should have a cannister vent control valve code if this were happening. who knows, try blowing the vent tube out anyway.

I'll go ahead and tell you now, the lean condition and the slow filling of the tank are two seperate unrelated issues.

#11 ·
Knowing that the slow-fill gas tank and the 171 are separate conditions is a big help. Thanks.

I spray-cleaned the MAF tonight and will bench test it tomorrow. Acronyms are killing me, lol. I'm looking for definition of 'GAF".

I downloaded the service manual - Engine Control, but it seems to be written in tech-speak, not for nimrods like me.

#12 ·
I cleaned the MAF and then did the DTC procedure called for in EC306. The manual didn't say so, but I guess that procedure allows the computer to re-learn to codes (?)

It said that the engine might be hard to start and that might indicate fuel injection problems. Not only is it hard to start but barely runs, sounds like its starving for gas, has no power, will only do about 40mph. With all the engine code problems, the Sentra has NEVER run bad in 10 years, until now.

The good news, is that I have no codes. The bad news is the car feels like its running on 2 cyls.

What did I do wrong??????????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.