A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Brembo vs Z32 calipers

11K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  Sus Spec 
#1 · (Edited)

Just figure I would post pictures of both calipers. U can see the difference in size and everything. I thought it was good information, hopefully someone can find this useful too.

See less See more
#9 ·
300zx 12.75" upgrade will put the brembos to shame ;)

#17 ·
Not really. The caliper and the dics are cheaper than a 1.8 sentra OEM kit. The pads are expensive if you go with the OEM, but a set of Hawks are affordable. :bigeyes:

A full kit with stainless brake lines go for less than 1000$. That a good price for a 12'' rotor kit.

If you go Z32, you need to shaved the rotor and you have smaller diameter disc than OEM. You just save on weight and go have 4 pistons calipers...

Mart

#29 · (Edited)
300zx:
<table><tbody><tr><td>Piston Size (Inches):</td><td>1.587999998</td></tr><tr><td>Piston Size (Millimeters):</td><td>40.3352</td></tr></tbody></table>

Spec V brembo:
Haven't found the piston size, but is it the same as the bore?

#31 ·
Thanks Sammy. I didn't think that there would be that small difference between the bores. So I guess from those measurements the only real advantage of the Brembo is that it doesn't require a bracket to accept a bigger rotor (12") and you have a bigger surface area due to the bigger pads.

#33 ·
For sure, the brembo's I bet have a lot more surface area being put to use on the 12" rotor. The 300zx on the new 12.8" rotor, the caliper wont be using all that rotor for stopping, although all that leverage is sure to help out a ton!

#34 ·
I hope u guys know that it not about piston size or rotor size. It about combination or both caliper and rotor. U can have 13inch rotor on z32 but u won't stop any better.

Imo and experience on working on car all my life. It not about piston size u gotta worry about, u need to know the amount of surface the pads rides on. Z32 caliper are made for 10-11inch rotor. Any bigger the pads doesn't hit the right surface on the rotor to give u better braking. U Can see the pads hit all the important Spot on the rotor to stop on the Brembo with 12inch rotor .

Keep in mind engineer spend yrs and yrs figure the best combo for braking. Also at a resonable price. I've been in one of a dealership Delevopment program and trust me it not something u can change in 1 day. Becuz it to much if a liability for the company.

#35 · (Edited)
I hope u guys know that it not about piston size or rotor size. It about combination or both caliper and rotor. U can have 13inch rotor on z32 but u won't stop any better.

Imo and experience on working on car all my life. It not about piston size u gotta worry about, u need to know the amount of surface the pads rides on. Z32 caliper are made for 10-11inch rotor. Any bigger the pads doesn't hit the right surface on the rotor to give u better braking. U Can see the pads hit all the important Spot on the rotor to stop on the Brembo with 12inch rotor .....
A larger rotor will dissipate heat faster though. Surface area isn't as much, but remember your changing momentum into heat. Eventhough less of the rotor is being used, the area that isn't, is going to be cooler because there is no friction there.

In other words, I think of it as the z32 rotor will be a cooler setup because the bigger rotor will shed heat faster because more surface area is exposed to air and less rotor area is heated up by friction.

But I definitely agree that the piston size isn't as important as you would think. Good call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.