A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Clunking noise from engine bay....Alternator??

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  madridlv70duece 
#1 ·
This morning when I started the whip, I noticed a different noise. So I popped the hood with the engine running and there was this loud clunking noise coming from the front. At first I was nervous it was my rods or pistons but the engine seem to be running normal. It seemed like it was coming from the pulleys but by looking at the belt, it wasn't jumping and the pulleys were spinning normally.

Then it got louder and now it seemed to be coming from the alternator but I didn't have any loss of power. I drove around and the car drives normal as usual, made a couple of stops and now the sound disappeared. I started it a few times and no clunking. WTF?

My car is 8 years old and never touched my alternator except for installing my header 7 years ago. Anyone have this problem before? Should I just have it rebuilt or buy another one? I just don't want to replace something if its not broken or get stuck and deal with getting towed or whatever.

I have a video and tried to upload it but couldn't.

#4 ·
I forgot to update this thread since I fixed it but better late than ever.

I had my alternator checked out and it was good. I thought it had to be my tensioner and figured since its was cheap, I'll change it. New tensioner and still no good.

I decided to take my water pump out and spin it by hand (Did this last cause its more of a pain in the ass since you have to drain the coolant). Turned out to be the pump, sounded like the bearings were shot. New one was about $40, changed it and the car has been good since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.