A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

How-To: Replace the Alternator belt on a '01 Sentra

5K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  SentryDrone 
#1 ·
What's up guys!

Long-time Sentra/Nissan fan, first time poster here just checking in to express how excited I am to finally join such an awesome, active Sentra community :cool:

And now that I have you, the alternator belt was looking awfully sorry on my '01 Sentra so I decided to replace it this weekend. Here's a really concise write-up on the procedure:

**PROVISIONS**
1/2-inch drive ratchet- bought mine at Sears for under $20

1/2-inch drive extension- again, purchased at Sears for a cheap price

Metric socket set- I scored a cheap set from O'Riley but any auto parts store worth their weight in nuts and bolts should carry one

New alternator belt- I bought a cheap OEM belt from nissanpartszone.com

**The Procedure**

1) Pull the hood open on the 2001 Nissan Sentra and secure it in place.

2) Inspect the front of the engine and locate the alternator. The belt that is routed around the alternator pulley is also routed around the crankshaft. The alternator also has an adjustment bracket. Loosen the lock bolt on the front of the adjustment bracket with the 1/2-inch drive ratchet and a metric socket.

3) Turn the bolt head at the end of the alternator adjustment bracket counterclockwise with the ratchet and the metric socket until the alternator belt is loose enough to remove from both the alternator pulley and the crankshaft pulley. Pull the belt off and remove it from the engine compartment.

4) Route the new alternator belt around the crankshaft pulley and then the alternator pulley. Turn the alternator adjustment bolt clockwise with the ratchet and socket to tighten the belt. A properly tensioned alternator belt on the 2001 Nissan Sentra will have no more than a half-inch of slack. Check the tension by pushing down on the belt with your hand.

5) Tighten the locking bolt on the alternator bracket down tight with the ratchet and socket. Crank the engine and watch the belt to be sure that it will remain inside of each pulley. Turn the engine off and close the hood.

Please note that this is a very rudimentary run-down on the job so if any forum members wish to supplement this write-up with their own personal insights and tips then by all means feel free to do so! :biggrin:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.