B15U.com - A Nissan Sentra Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Cody
    Drives
    2002 Spec V

Default Keep your rotors from rusting

Im sure it has been done. This is a simple how-to, i just got great results and wanted to share with all of you guys.

First brake clean your rotors and clean all the debris off.
    Then cover the entire rotor with Caliper paint i used black.
    Once installed the paint the touches the brake pad will rub off. The unused part of the rotor will still be painted, which prevents rust and make your rotors look nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Sexyspecv; 08-23-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Member Ashwin
    Rides
    Drives
    '03 QR25DE-T

how long have you had them painted for? I tried this before, lasted about a couple months before going back to crap lol

Senior Member Lucas
    Rides
    Drives
    yo mother

hes had it for a couple months now and it still looks new. no peeling or anything. he got pretty generous with it on the "hat" part of it and in the slots

Black '03 - Supercharged.................StopTheFakes
    Yellow '04 - Runs on ground unicorn horn
    Red '02 - Because I'm crazy
    Blue '94 Miata - for the ladies
    Gray '07 Prius - Dat eco doe..

Senior Member Matt
    Rides
    Drives
    2004 SE-R Spec V

Omg I want! I know what my next weekend project it lol that and repainting the door/window molding :-)

Sent via Tapatalk with my HTC Evo 3D... Android ftmfw!
    2004 Cloud White Spec V -
    Performance - 2JR Parts: 11.5:1 CR Pistons, H-Beam Rods, Race Header, Ported Head, Intake Manifold & 1 Piece CAI, Side Exit Exhaust (race version), Solid motor mounts, Crossmember Bushings, Bump Steer & Roll Center Kit, Wilwood 4-Piston Dynalites w/12.2'' Rotors in Front & 12.3'' Rear Brakes, BC 10k (F&R) Coilovers, 15mm (F) & 20mm (R) Spacers, Powder Coated Gloss White Nismo Wheels, Turcite X Shifter Bushings & Short Throw Shifter, LCAs w/SuperPro Bushings, Solid Rear Trailing Arm Bushings, Rear Sway Bar, Crank & PS Pully, 10mm ALK, JWT BSR Kit, Radiator Cap, Innovate MTX-L Wideband, UpRev Tuned.

Visual - Black LED tails, Black Faux Suede headliner & dyed remaining plastic black to match, matching suede shift boot & arm rests, 8k HID's for Fogs & Headlights, Fog Light always on mod, Angel Eye Gauges.

Audio - Sony Xplod 1000watt sub amp and 12'' Xplod sub in a custom spare tire well box, Kicker mid's n highs running off JVC Bluetooth Deck.

Drives
    02 Altima

cool...and the pads don't have trouble grabbing later?
    [12-14-2011 03:11 PM] formerHonda: degreaser shouldn't hurt a maf should it? as far as cleaning I mean

Senior Member MIKE
    Rides
    Drives
    02 maxima

i used rustoleum paint..i forgot the exact name cuz it was like maple syrup thick and its been good as hell for 2 years on my brakes and rotors... also painted my rear beam control arms and many many other things with this paint and holds up amazing
    02 6speed fully bolted maxima SOlD

08 6SPEED BMW E90 M3 - NEW BABY

Member Ashwin
    Rides
    Drives
    '03 QR25DE-T

Damn I used rustoleum too...I guess I failed lol

Newbie Cody
    Drives
    2002 Spec V

Quote Originally Posted by Unclear_Motives View Post
    cool...and the pads don't have trouble grabbing later?
    The paint wears off during the break in process. My hawk hps+ works wonders.

i had a set of powder coated rotors, those didnt last long before they started peeling after the fist winter. they did look really nice tho
    Aztec 02 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 285k miles
    blown head gasket @153k, original clutch!
    mods: optima red, foglite mod, disabled auto a/c, dril/slot rotors, es mmi's, jwt bsr, maf w/filter, catless header, ebay n1 catback, alum radiator, love s.drives
    http://imageshack.us/a/img716/6987/wuv9.jpg

I wonder if high heat enamel would work. It's pretty durable so I'm guessing it would last longer than regular caliper paint.

---
    -
    Tapatalk is gay. AtleastIdidntpayforthis.

Senior Member Erick
    Rides
    Drives
    2002 I/H/E Spec V

i bought some rotors from craigslist that were manufactured in Germany and until this day they dont rust at all it remains grey looking like new except for the part where it makes contact with the pads. I had the rotors on for about a year now still no rust!

Newbie Cody
    Drives
    2002 Spec V

Quote Originally Posted by GK1707 View Post
    I wonder if high heat enamel would work. It's pretty durable so I'm guessing it would last longer than regular caliper paint.

---
    -
    Why would you need it to with stand more heat? Caliper paint is high heat and it worked fine for me.

Doesn't really have anything to do with heat. I'm just sayin that high heat enamel would most likely last longer than caliper paint.

---
    -

Newbie Cody
    Drives
    2002 Spec V

Maybe it will, if you do end up doing it that way let me know.

Newbie Cody
    Drives
    2002 Spec V

Quote Originally Posted by E.L.A.SpecV02 View Post
    i bought some rotors from craigslist that were manufactured in Germany and until this day they dont rust at all it remains grey looking like new except for the part where it makes contact with the pads. I had the rotors on for about a year now still no rust!
    Damn you know what brand?

after rereading this, for those confused. you take yout wheel off to paint, obviously, and you paint your rotors and calipers this way. if you spray where the pad rubs the rotor, just spin the rotor while the caliper is on and it will move some of the paint from the braking surface. if you were painting caliper as well, just spray the paint off the pads with brake cleaner before you paint the caliper. the remaining paint will rub off the braking surface of the rotor during braking. dont forget, after this all drys, to clean your greasy prints off the rotors before reassembly
    mods: optima red, foglite mod, disabled auto a/c, dril/slot rotors, es mmi's, jwt bsr, maf w/filter, catless header, ebay n1 catback, alum radiator, love s.drives

Senior Member Pete
    Rides
    Drives
    2003 Spec-VT

Quote Originally Posted by i68k View Post
    after rereading this, for those confused. you take yout wheel off to paint, obviously, and you paint your rotors and calipers this way. if you spray where the pad rubs the rotor, just spin the rotor while the caliper is on and it will move some of the paint from the braking surface. if you were painting caliper as well, just spray the paint off the pads with brake cleaner before you paint the caliper. the remaining paint will rub off the braking surface of the rotor during braking. dont forget, after this all drys, to clean your greasy prints off the rotors before reassembly
    how bout you just spray the whole rotor, let it dry, and go drive it lol... just sayin

"I think we need to do a little street racing 101 and understand that, you know... as a general courtesy you should, uh, floor your car an additional 100mph over the speed in which you start. It's just like the, uh, '100mph courtesy'... You start at 60, you don't let off 'til 160. You start at 30, you AT LEAST go to 130. And attempting to, uh, run like Houston interstates with traffic directly in front of you... These 60 to 80 pulls; these 60 to 95mph pulls... What the fuck is that shit about?" -IMV Films

if you slapped on multiple layers of paint and let it dry, it might be a long while before it wears off, if you can even get the caliper back on it. spinning the rotor wet just moves 'some' or most of the paint off the brake surface so itll be easy to wear off/clean off after, esp when you can see where the pad contacts the rotor.
    Last edited by i68k; 08-24-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Senior Member Pete
    Rides
    Drives
    2003 Spec-VT

Quote Originally Posted by i68k View Post
    if you slapped on multiple layers of paint and let it dry, it might be a long while before it wears off, if you can even get the caliper back on it. spinning the rotor wet just moves 'some' or most of the paint off the brake surface so itll be easy to wear off/clean off after.
    i doubt it would be long before its off... slowing a car down from 100mph to 40mph a couple times during pad breakin would probly do the trick

"I think we need to do a little street racing 101 and understand that, you know... as a general courtesy you should, uh, floor your car an additional 100mph over the speed in which you start. It's just like the, uh, '100mph courtesy'... You start at 60, you don't let off 'til 160. You start at 30, you AT LEAST go to 130. And attempting to, uh, run like Houston interstates with traffic directly in front of you... These 60 to 80 pulls; these 60 to 95mph pulls... What the fuck is that shit about?" -IMV Films

lol, i didnt think about using new pads, was thinking about getting paint on the old pads before i replace them, that way you get new pads, and clean the brake surface of the rotor that you can see from the rotating pad marks with gas or brake cleaner before it completely dries, but if you didnt clean the rotors, then youd have to just let it rub off. i mean really, are we painting under the hat too? inside the groves?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast