A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

P2137 and P2138 App Sensor Help

14K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  Ak Karmoeddien 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

When I start my car it starts in limp mode 60% of the time. Codes being thrown are P2127 and P2138 APP Sensor.

I have replaced the Pedal/sensor assembly already. Cleared codes and the problem has come back within a day.

What should I look at next?

From reading the different forums I have seen that there is a way to test the ECM module/wiring harness. I have the service manual but can not find these procedures in it. Should I start here? If so Can someone point me to the right section in the service manual to start testing?

If I am not thinking correctly here, can you point me in the right direction with my next troubleshooting steps?

Thanks

Derek

#4 ·
Same car same problems, your throttle body shouldnt have any problem! Its the plug on the sensor of TB unplug it ang clean it the 6 socket... mine was greased up! and make sure its not loose because everytime u rev the engine it tends to get loose! But first unlug your negative battery for 5-10 before doing that... After that when u see the SES/MIL light on do the Idle relearn/pedal dance search for it in forum.

#24 ·
Same car same problems, your throttle body shouldnt have any problem! Its the plug on the sensor of TB unplug it ang clean it the 6 socket... mine was greased up! and make sure its not loose because everytime u rev the engine it tends to get loose! But first unlug your negative battery for 5-10 before doing that... After that when u see the SES/MIL light on do the Idle relearn/pedal dance search for it in forum.[/QUOTE

#5 ·
So I disconnected the cable to the tb. Checked the pins on the sensor and the harness itself. Both were clean. Blew them out anyway. Then connected it back. Did the pedal relearn, then throttle relearn, then idle air volume relearn.

Cleared the codes. Then the problem is back this morning. Throwing code 2138 only.

P2138 - Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Range / Performance Problem

What should I check next?

#8 ·
Make sure do the relearn properly...if u have anything running electrical other than the power fuse for sound system, remove it...it may affect the tps to retard. Once again check the plug in sensor if loose, if there is grease remove it! monitor it everytime...if it does "limp mode" again just remove car key for 10 secs then start it. Mine went on few times! Just be patient those probs go away as time past! It is probably adjusting from all your upgrades. Sometimes bumps, or lil car shake can trigger the sensor...not too sure though!

#10 ·
I made sure I had everything turned off. Radio was off, AC was off, unplugged radar detector, etc..

Connector didnt have any grease on the connector. As far as I can tell it is making a good connection and is not loose. Pretty sure I did the relearns correct. The car idols much better than it did before.But I will try doing the relearns again.

You dont think the TB or TB sensor could be going bad?

#11 ·
i meant that anything that is hooked on(positive or negative)on battery.

maybe, maybe not! But it is still best to wait and be patient because it may just be for a while to come back to normal...other than that as long as it runs,starts, not stalling. Your TB/TPS(sensor) is fine! If the MIL/SES light is on that's the only time you can do the Relearn. Just try not to worry too much and drive it,monitor it, again if it does "LIMP mode" again just pull aside remove key for 10 secs. then start car again!

#12 ·
Sounds good. I will give it a couple of days and see what happens. It has been trying to stall when I first start it in the morning and goes right into limp mode for the last couple of days. Then I turn the car off and start it up into normal mode. While driving within the first 15 miles or so it will go into limp mode a couple more times. Then turn the car off and on a couple of times and it drives fine the rest of the trip.

I drive about 60 miles each way to work. So after the first 15 miles or so its fine the rest of the way to work. Then after work it has been starting and driving fine all the way home. Then the next morning we have the same issue.

This has been happening for about a week. Before I replaced the pedal it would do this in the morning and also when I was leaving work. Pretty much every time I left the car sitting for a couple of hours.

#16 ·
LOL no I didnt have an accident. I havent found any broken or worn wires yet. Guess I need to try and trace them a little further and check that.

I replaced the Accelerator Pedal/Sensor Assembly. (Gas Pedal)

I do have the service manual. I just double checked the EC.pdf and my code is not there :(

The highest code in that section is 1760. My code is 2138.

#18 ·
I put the new one on because I was throwing codes:

P2127 - Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input
P2138 - Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Range / Performance Problem

The sensor for this is on the gas pedal. So I replaced the whole pedal assembly. Looks exactly the same as the original one, but is brand new. Not to worried about that one being bad. Pretty sure its good.

Derek

#23 ·
I bought both the pedal and throttle body from rockauto.com. Pretty cheap prices and very quick shipping. I have ordered several parts from them and have never been disappointed.

I may write up a how to on each of those for anyone else that comes up with these issues. Both parts were pretty easy to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.