A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Hood Vents / Louvers

36K views 140 replies 21 participants last post by  06calispecv 
#1 ·
Just looking around again for some new ideas and I found something I like!
Look at these...
Strap Belt Fashion accessory
Vehicle Bumper Luxury vehicle Automotive exterior Car

I think I'm getting them and mounting them across my hood like so... on each side (2"x22")
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ford motor company Bumper

Into the taped areas... passenger side actual example size (center rectangle)
to be functional there will be some hole saw drilling :)
I've already got these push button hood pins coming as well so lining them up in front would be in order... (1.25" round)
Font Fastener Auto part

All aluminum to match my rad and other bits of aluminum around the car...
Vehicle Car Auto part Hood Engine
(ECM delete by me)
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Family car
(Vent deletes by ROB5625)

ANyway.... has anybody done louvers on a B15 yet??
I'd like to see some more options :)

or maybe I should just buy a Jeep ;)

Hey these are cheap too check it out... :shhh:
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=LVR1014

See less See more
#80 ·
I'm Mexican and this idea does not appeal to me. Neither does that mexiflush /hellafag fad that has been going around. Don't be so stereotypical.;)

#3 ·
I remember a guy with a turbo volcanic b15 used some bigger ones, function bet form. He paint matched it and in the end it look ok. That was on msv so info is long gone

#4 ·
From one mexican B15 brother to the others... Thanks. Yes, there's also the colour matching or vinyl wrap options, as a bail-out back-up, or doing nothing and keeping the rear hood spacers. Intent here is functional venting, as well as cosmetic to a degree (something different)... One time, years ago now, I saw a datsun 510. It was red... bright red... with a louvered hood. Man I was 18 and broke, so I couldn't afford it but it was hot! (in my mind) Anyway I'd like to eventually lower the rear hood spacing angle a bit... Sammy, I wasn't active on MSV... but I'll keep an eye out for any historical remnant pics... there's also naca ducts, but I'm not sure how I'd get them in looking decent, without cutting the hood supports up underneath, so not so high on my viability list....

#7 ·
After a little google searching, I just had a great idea... :D

#8 ·
That's the car I was talking about. Where'd you find it? He had a whole how to thread

#12 ·
If my idea works, it will look pretty sick... Might fit better on the 00-03 hood because of the 04-06 crevices we have coming down. I guess we'll find out eventually. Lol

#13 ·
And that s2K looks more like it was an artistic design. Looks really good actually. Lol

#14 ·
Part of the joys of multiple forums is if one goes down again, we should have the information on the others. With that being said, lol:

I wanted a way to vent some of the heat out of the engine for when I boost my car next weekend. I was thinking about getting the carbon fiber hood, like everyone else and their moms, but I wanted to be different so I thought about getting a carbon hood and painting it to match, but then after some research found these. They are hood louvers from RunCool Hood Louvers/Hood Vents For Your Vehicle - Cool Your Engine - RaceAce . They are very popular among jeeps and other off road vehicles. I believe I am the first ever to put these or anything like them on a b15. The ones I purchased were the medium powder coated black ones. I then had them color matched and painted by a local shop. Then the fun began.

When we started

After moving them around and stepping back and moving them again and stepping back for about 15 mins. We took into consideration the way the hood was constructed, the way they looked, and what would be under the vents in case of water getting in. Finally decided on a place.

Making the marks

All marked up ready to cut

After finally deciding to take a dremel to my hood and a quick prayer, I make the cuts

After all the cuts and holes have been drilled, the edges were smoothed out and paint was applied to the raw edges. Not pretty at all, but it wont be seen so it doesnt matter.

Riveting them in

A couple of pics after I got home

After they were first installed, we turned on the fans, just the fans only (the car had been off for a couple hours). I was very dissapointed at the lack of airflow. I was going to cut into the underside of the hood more so that it will let more air out at another day. But after I drove home and the engine had time to warm up, the heat was just pouring out of the vents even with my hood spacers on. I was very impressed with the results after getting the engine to temp. I believe that the reason is that when the fan was just blowing air, it was just going out the back and sides of the hood. With the engine warmed up making the engine bay hot, it made the air hot and hot air does what? It rises, and out the vents it goes. So like them or hate them, they are functional.

Tomorrow- better daylight pics after I get my new rims on. Maybe I can make a video with some paper showing the airflow out of the vents.

Reactions: PhilC1833specv
#15 ·
I thought about doing that to. If you mount them in reverse, then that will put alot of stress on the rivets and hood itself as it catches the air and forces it into the engine bay. It will also catch a shit load of water when it rains.

The only thing I am not a fan of is the rivets. I may end up painting them with some touch up paint, or I may get lazy and not paint them. It doesnt really matter to me, all that matters is the vents work, which they do.

Some pics outside during the day with my new rims

#16 ·
I had a friend that had his hood cut and welded. he used 3 louvers per side in the shape of a V basicly following the lines on a 04-06 hood. He got the idea from hood that was on the spec V in the need for speed game. His looked decent for a vented hood because it looked factoryish. Stuff bolted on top the hood just looks cheap IMO. even when painted. If you are looking to vent heat, do the hood pop mod first. It works well, costs less then $12 and is easily reversible.

#18 ·
An option that may have been overlooked on that orange car would be to mount those vents from under the hood, and bondo the seems above to make it look like 1, then repaint. That would have looked pretty sick.

#20 ·
Yeah, it's top secret until I try it out. Lol. If it's a win or fail, you'll still hear about it I'm sure. I'll pass on the info if I think It'll work better on a 00-03 hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.