A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

After disconnecting negative terminal on battery, car won't start

32K views 32 replies 5 participants last post by  cvballa008 
#1 ·
Worked near the alternator area on my 1.8S today, so I disconnected the negative terminal to be safe. Was off for 10 minutes. Now when the key is turned to ON after reconnecting, the dash lights (oil, fuel, CEL) won't turn on. The headlights, radio all still work. Fuel pump doesn't prime, and the car cranks but still won't start. Already disconnected pos and neg terminals for 10 mins, no luck. Need the car running to drive to school, any ideas?

#4 ·
Would that even work if the fuel pump doesn't prime? :confused:

#5 ·
could be a weak battery if not than you need to test your fuse box :)

To be honest with you since its getting late start looking at fuses...

#6 ·
We are diagnosing blindly.

Try getting a jump and that would rule out some things that might be wrong.
Then we will go from there.

#7 ·
will do, i'll let you know when i can how it goes

#8 ·
you blew the main fusible link by the sounds of it. its in the under hood fuse box by the battery. iirc the qg uses a 100amp link and should be the one closest to the firewall end of the fuse box. it should have a clear plastic window so you can see if its blown or might be all black and burnt like mine was. i was able to pop off the clear window and bend the metal strips back together so i could run down to buy a new one.

#9 ·
If it helps, the windows dont get power but the headlights, taillights, and audio work

#10 ·
Jump start failed, car just cranked but didn't fire up.

#13 ·
Gonna run to WalMart and try it out..it sits in the battery-side fuse box?

#16 ·
Thanks for the pic, I have to go to Advance Auto tomorrow, Wally world didn't have it. I appreciate you helping me out man, I'll post here tomorrow on how it goes.

#17 ·
I saw the fusible that you pointed out, through the clear window i could see two small metal tabs, with ~ 1mm gap between them. Sorry for my inexperience, but will this be blown? It doesn't look burnt

#18 ·
Yes. If you see a gap in the fuse, that means that it is blown and you need a new one.

#19 ·
It pretty much looked like this. Looks like I'm buying a fuse, I'll let you know how it turns out

#21 ·
:ugh:

#22 ·
yup shes blown. if your in a bind pop the window off and you can get the metal strips to touch again and that'll get ya goin. i got mine from the dealership and it was $25 plus 4 days away! definately check the parts store first.

now lets be honest, did u start working around the alt. before dissconnecting the battery? thats how i blew mine lol :troll:

#23 ·
now lets be honest, did u start working around the alt. before dissconnecting the battery? thats how i blew mine lol :troll:
Lets not go there because I too was like 'hmmmm blown fuse even though battery was disconnected...:suspect:..'

#24 ·
I was working near the alternator, before the battery was disconnected, yes. When I put the heatshield back in it bumped the positive diode on the alternator and I saw some sparks. That's most likely why it blew.

God I'm such a klutz.

#32 ·
i did you one better. i pulled alt & header, test fit turbo & manifold, fabbed up the downpipe, then put header and everything all back together and while reconnecting the alt wires the wrench hit grounded metal and zap! i look over and sure as shit i spend like 9 hrs working/welding on my car with the battery still hooked up :facepalm:

#25 ·
Replaced the fuse, and she's ALIVE! I owe you guys one, thanks!
Has a CEL now, but that's probably normal

#26 ·
when you do that disconnect the negative terminal homeboy

#27 ·
i did lol

#29 ·
Thank god it was only a fuse.
Friend said my computer might have gone.
I was like

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.