A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Metallic rattle when decelerating

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Jon 
#1 ·
Recording does not show up. I noticed a metallic rattling sound when in gear, coasting and/or while decelerating.

It does not make this sound if the engine is under load, or not in gear.

It does not sound like something loose from the interior. More like the engine bay.

2002 203K miles.

Any ides?

#3 ·
Sorry. In all gears. AC on and off. Under 2500 rpm (because that's when it's not that loud so I can hear it). At all speeds from 60 to 10. I can't tell if it's left or right, other than front. I want to say center.

So I pay more attention today. The noise goes away after 15 miles of driving. I live in warm (hot) weather Arizona. Oil level is fine. Car has been serviced by Nissan dealer by the prior owner. I owned the car for 2 months. I/H/E, no cats.

Let me throw the butterfly screw question out too. I asked about that. It was "done" according to Nissan when they installed the remanufactured long block in 2011. I don't know what "done" means. Loctite, washer added? Don't know. Does every Nissan tech knows about this?

#4 ·
Exhaust heat shields?

Reactions: JEF
#6 ·
Just to be safe, you should loctite the screws. That way you know that you're safe.

#8 ·
It's not hard to do. Just take your time and everything should go without any issues.

#12 ·
That does look like where the noise came from. Probably happened when they installed the long block. Check your moter mounts front and rear for wear and cracks in the rubber portion. The engine shifting due to torque will rock the engine significantly causing the noise to go away and reapear.

#10 ·
Yes, I believe that line is the a/c line and no, it should NOT be rubbing against anything.

#11 ·
Just push it down. itll bend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.