A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Weird clunk noise

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  i68k 
#1 ·
My car is on bc coilovers and once in a while I get a strange clunking noise from the rear of the car when first taking off. I never hear it while driving and its quite loud. It either happens when I'm first taking off or when I'm turning the wheel (its not a wheel bearing or bad axle I've checked many times) so what the hell are these clunk noises? And also I've noticed when going from a higher speed to a lower speed my car has a tendency to be extremely bouncy especially the front. It's could be perfectly flat ground but the car continues to bounce..is this the coilovers getting too hot internally?

#2 ·
maybe the valving is going, is your bc setup still new?

im just up the street from you, your welcome to come by and i can try to help you out/diag the sounds.

#4 ·
ohh, did you check all your bushings? if you have the old rubber ones, maybe one ripped out. not sure how this would cause it to be bouncy though. from reading the first post, the clunking noise when you first take off could be the brakes, the rears dont have that pad seperation spring in them, so the pads might still be rubbing/clunking against the rotor. also, when you say going from high speed to lower speed, do you mean braking and the car is bouncing? that would probably be a warped rotor. normally the valving/shocks should absorb the bouncing.

ill send you a pm with my cell.

#5 · (Edited)
Make sure the preload is set on each coilover before install. That might be what is causing your bouncy issue. First check to make sure the rears are completely tightened into place. If there is still a clunk noise, try to figure out which side it's coming from. There is a possibility that the top nut on one of the coilovers was loose and it'll need to be tightened down. If that is the case, you'll have to install whichever rear coilover is making the noise inorder correct the issue. I thought this problem had been taken care of by now from BC. There is a thread for how to do the fix. It usually happens to the fronts. This is the first time I've heard of an issue from the rears. I forget where the thread is. Try 2J-R's section. It might be in there or just search for it.

#6 ·
I think part I the clunk may be one of the top nuts coming loose. I heard I I jack the coilovers up I may be able to tighten it more but what doesn't make sense about that theory is why does it only do it when turning the wheel at a stop or taking off? It doesn't happen every time but it happens quite often. I had hear that bounce may be preload as well but wouldn't it happen constantly? It seems to only happen if I'm driving on the highway then go to normal road speeds. It eventually stops after a few miles. For the few miles it happens though its quite annoying as you can imagine lol

#7 ·
i dont do text because i have a cheapo phone plan, but i return called with no answer, so just call me back. im at home waiting for a tech to come by to fix a scooter.

snugg, i think hes saying its clunking in the rear, and bouncing in the front.

if youre turning the wheels while youre completely stopped, your adding stress somewhere in steering/suspension, if you have a slightly lose bolt it might 'clunk' it out of position, then when you get straight, might 'clunk' back into position, im just guessing tho. hopefully you dont have a bad end link or warped rim or something, not sure how going fast then slow would cause any problem, are you sure its not you feeling the smooth highway, then the bumpy side roads? not to call you crazy or anything ;)

but hopefully you did preload, otherwise your ride will be really weirded. and youre positive its not your axle clicking, or ball joint, or tierod, etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.