A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

JDM qr25de engine swap

QR25DE 
15K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  MoltenNismo 
#1 ·
OK I have been doing my first engine swap and went to JDM Orlando and purchased a JDM qr25de.
I think that we can get over the fact that the 10+ year old write up that we used to reference on Wikipedia was wrong when it said that the qr25 was never in Japan.
I drove up to Orlando for a $500 low mileage JDM qr20 but while I was there he told me that he had more qr25’s and they were $300 more. So I did not go BDSO and I bit the bullet and bought the qr25.
For all the people saying that there are JDM qr20’s out there and they grind off the block stamp, you can clearly tell the difference because the back of the block has to be tapped with 3 mount bolts because the qr20 did not have a mount there.
I had a quote from a friend of a fried to do the swap but the dude flaked on me that weekend (wouldn’t answer calls/texts) and I had to get the engine out of my buddy’s car (which I borrowed) so I decided to buy an engine lift and embark on the project of doing the swap myself.
I am a little older than most of you guys/gals and have had my spec for a few years but I need a cheap-reliable-fun car to drive because I plan on moving next year to be closer to my daughter.
I have been taking my time with the project and I am three weeks into it. I have the engine removed and the tranny pulled.
I purchased a new clutch/flywheel combo, 2j cross member bushings and I had some S1 cams laying around (not sure if I am going to put it in while I have the engine out).
The old engine ran strong but it leaked and burned oil so I got tired of that and want my car to be a decent DD with nice midrange.
From the old engine I had full eBay exhaust (header/midpipe/catback) 2J plenum and 2J crank pulley.
Sorry for the long post and I will share my findings and pictures once I get my shit together.

See less See more
#4 ·
What benefit does the jdm one have anyway?

#9 ·
Negative, please stop going by a Wikipedia post from years ago by someone who had no idea. There are JDM qr25de engines, the came in the X-Trail and a minivan.

By the size of the AC compressor I removed from the block (twice the size of the spec v) I think mine came out of the minivan. If anyone wants a large AC compressor for some ice cold air I might be persuaded to sell. I live in Florida and it would be a decent come up for me because it is still hot as fuc down here but I don't want have the additional weight of the larger compressor.

#10 ·
I wasnt referring to a wiki post, i was referring to your pic (oil filler cap and pcv location)

Could be a de from a aus spec vehicle, it does still have the injector relief machining in the intake ports. Ive never seen one in person before. What will be important is to determine the cr especially if you plan on using your original ecu. Later model aus spec xtrail de's are listed with less hp, wonder if that is from de-tuning, cr, or some other hooplah.

Anyways once you sort out exactly which qr25 it is and when it was manufactured you will be able to figure out which ecu, sensors, harness to use then the rest is just nuts n bolts.

#11 ·
If it were a dd I don't see anywhere that the direct injection would be...

#12 ·
The different VC is possible due to constraints in the engine bay like a van where the engine could be recessed well past the cowl area where they will need vertical clearance. They will all have the same head, but possible different cam profiles, different CR, but the stroke should be all the same at 100mm (qr25de) anyway. Also the DD has a mechanical pump on the back side of the engine Iwhere our cam sensor is at with its intake plenum below the runners vs above.

#13 · (Edited)
:popcorn:

always learn somthing here

so many variations around the world on the same motor.

if our community was larger we might be able to mix and match parts,
to our advantage

reading all this,
in my imagination
we should be looking for the iron block, military engine
[it would be converted to diesel for military purposes, thus iron block]

lol
now that would be somthing

#16 ·
Well this has been a slow moving process, I ran into some hiccups and the holidays took away my motivation. The only problem is that I need a little bit of help putting the engine and tranny back together and to reinstall the engine. My only car buddy that was helping me, his wife just had a baby and I don't want to bother him.

Is there anyone, located in South Florida who would be willing tho give me a hand. I have a garage and I am located in Pembroke Pines. I am off in the evenings and weekends.

#17 ·
So my mom l was looking at x-trails for a winter beater this year, i happened to notice this qr looks pretty much identical to the ones in x-trail's. iirc the xtrail was advertised at 169hp vs the spec's 175. I imagine that is all in the ecu though anyways.

Couple things to keep in mind is replacing flywheel bolts with some locktite, replacing idler/tensioner pulleys, serpentine belt, ect ect now with the motor out can save a lot of headaches down the road. Ive also come to find while performing one man engine re&re's a good quality ratchet strap comes in handy for fine tilting/rotating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.