A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

clunk noise when clutch is dumped

02-06 
Tags
clunk clutch
2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jakeoster 
#1 ·
I drive and 02 se-r spec v. A couple days ago i dumped the clutch and heard a loud clunk noise coming from the engine bay. I drove it today and it made the noise again when i dumped it from a standstill. Car is still running perfectly but the noise is scarring me and im afraid it'll turn into something bad. Any ideas on what it could be?

#5 ·
As stated check your motor mounts. But first check your crossmember. I can almost guarantee you that the crossmember bushings are shot. Great replacement is definitely the delrin ones from 2J. They're pretty easy to install and cheap but if you can't swing it right now then at least retorque the bolts.

#7 ·
You check them by unbolting the crossmember under the engine and chuckling at the chintzy deteriorated rubber "bushings". Chances are your using the crossmember as a point to jack up the front of the car, that's any easy way to locate it. It's almost a for sure thing that they're no good anymore and it would certainly be a big contributor to your engine clunking around. I'd recommend this first before messing with motor mount inserts.

https://www.2j-racing.com/bushings/2jr-crossmember-delrin-bushings-150.html

It's super easy, you can do it in less than a half hour with limited skill, a floor jack, and I think a 14mm socket or wrench. It's a crossmember that's underneath the engine.

Once you do these you can decide if you want to move to the next level or not, which is motor mount inserts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.