A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Honda motor in a b15

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  staytuner 
#1 ·
Before you throw stuff at me.. just hear me out..

I've actually been researching this on/off for about a year, as I've always been impressed by what the K-series guys are laying down, all motor, with relative ease. So, I started looking around, taking measurements, and such.. and it looks like it'll easily fit in the engine bay of a B15.

My plan is to use a B15 6spd trans, with an adapter plate and custom clutch/flywheel, which will allow me to use the B15 starter and bolt right up to the K series engine.

I would like to use a K24 block and K20A2 cylinder head.. This, with a few bolt-on's, and a good tune, will produce in excess of 250whp.. Probably in the neighborhood of 260-270whp with decent cams. There are guys making in excess of 325whp with this setup, running higher compression pistons, head work, and such.

This engine would have a rod/stroke ratio of 1.54:1, and would be able to rev safely to 8K rpm without issues. The advantage of having i-vtec is pretty clear.. streetable cam profile on the small cam lobes, making it driveable, with decent low end TQ, and fuel friendly.. yet, HUGE lobes on the big cams, making tons of power up top. The QR simply lacks this.. and I'm disappointed that Nissan didn't carry it over from the SR20VE line. IMO, that was the next "step" in 4 cylinder engine progression for them.. They simply cheaped out, and dropped the ball.

Anyway.. This is a very loose idea right now.. but, a VERY feasible one. I'll be doing more research in the coming months, and working out the details of the adapter parts. Once I get that ironed out, this will be a pretty straight forward swap.. No harder (for me), than the initial VQ swap that we did years ago. If anyone is interested in working with me on this.. please let me know. Cost wise, you won't be looking at anything more than what a VQ swap would cost.. and the potential benefits are HUGE!

Travis
http://myspecv.com/f/view_topic.php?id=186216

#5 ·
i really like this idea.

becuase barry ran 12.12 on a n/a setup with around 300hp

im sure the 4cyl honda will weigh less than a vq, and they said they can make over 320 rather easily so that would mean we'd be in the 11's easy. i dont like the typical honda crowd, but people who know what they're doing with them make some great cars.

#7 ·
i really like this idea.

im sure the 4cyl honda will weigh less than a vq, and they said they can make over 320 rather easily so that would mean we'd be in the 11's easy. i dont like the typical honda crowd, but people who know what they're doing with them make some great cars.
this is very true. good point willy

#8 ·
i really like this idea.

I disagree
The Honda motor makes less torque and the b15 is heavier.

#9 ·
I think now that travis has compitition in the VQ swap he is giving up on it. Now that STP is doing there thang now:) So now he is moving on to a different swap:) Honda is for honda they way about 400lb less than the spec so doing a honda swap is going backwards. just the thougt of a honda motor in a nissan is a big disrespect. Thats just my thought & keeping it real.

#11 ·
I disagree
The Honda motor makes less torque and the b15 is heavier.
it's not gonna make that much of a difference in tq, cant really say a k24/k20 is a honda motor, more of a acura, think about it, k20 comes from a rsx type S which weights about the same as our cars plus putting a k24 block in there will bring the tq right up, now were talking about same tq as the specv's. If it was a B-series i would of said what u said "low in tq" the idea is good but is it worth it? not really the prices on those motors are a few g's then comes the wiring and the ECU and all that bs like fitting the spec v tranny on a k-series, "not gonna happen" bolt pattern is way off housing is way off, then he's gonna have to change the axles and all, then lose the lsd. It's a big mess. There for his lil project will never launch.

#12 ·
it's not gonna make that much of a difference in tq, cant really say a k24/k20 is a honda motor, more of a acura, think about it, k20 comes from a rsx type S which weights about the same as our cars plus putting a k24 block in there will bring the tq right up, now were talking about same tq as the specv's. If it was a B-series i would of said what u said "low in tq" the idea is good but is it worth it? not really the prices on those motors are a few g's then comes the wiring and the ECU and all that bs like fitting the spec v tranny on a k-series, "not gonna happen" bolt pattern is way off housing is way off, then he's gonna have to change the axles and all, then lose the lsd. It's a big mess. There for his lil project will never launch.
i think the torque comparison comes into play with the discussion if its worth it to choose the honda motor (honda makes acura) over the vq motor v6 equals more torque. concerning the swap what would be a better idea is to use the k motor with the k series 6 speed tranny and starter and axles i say it can be done with a little pixie dust and it will be good to go

#13 ·
Wow, great Idea. So now the Honda guys can steal B15s looking for one with a swap.

Other than that, if 320 whp is really possible N/A I'm impressed. Aren't those K-series' 2.0Ls and 2.4Ls? That's damn good V/E. One thing I don't trust is the custom clutch/flywheel idea though, sounds like an expensive reliability issue in the future.

#15 ·
after doing some light research..the vq actually weighs about 40lbs less than a k20.. not a huge difference but whatever

idk i just like seeing new things come out, cuz it shows progress

whether it works or not its still gettin somewhere with custom setups n just pushes the limit with the cars.

the guy who put a 1.3l suzuki motor in a smart car was probably called stupid at one point in time but i personally think thats one of the coolest things ive seen..especially when he raced the ferrari

either way, itll lead to something new so i say go ahead n try it

#16 ·
after doing some light research..the vq actually weighs about 40lbs less than a k20.. not a huge difference but whatever

idk i just like seeing new things come out, cuz it shows progress

whether it works or not its still gettin somewhere with custom setups n just pushes the limit with the cars.

the guy who put a 1.3l suzuki motor in a smart car was probably called stupid at one point in time but i personally think thats one of the coolest things ive seen..especially when he raced the ferrari

either way, itll lead to something new so i say go ahead n try it
The weight I'm talking bout isn't the motor but the couple hundred pounds of difference in the chassis.

What do u know about the Suzuki 1.3l twin cam? That motors great.

And there's one way to know 100%,try it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.