A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Crank Pulley Installation

QR25DE 
43K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  LafleurSpecV 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Written By: Nissan Performance Magazine

1. Jack up the front of the car and secure it on Jack stands. Remove the front right tire and the splash guard. At this point you should be able to see the OEM pulley as pictured to the right.

2. Get under the car. With a 14 mm wrench on the tensioner bolt release the tension on the serpentine belt and remove the belt.

3. After the belt is removed lock the tensioner in the loose mode by inserting a drill bit into two parallel holes, one on the tensioner and one on the engine block. The picture to the right shows you how to do this.

4. There are two methods to complete the next step. The easiest method is to use an electric impact gun to loosen (do not remove) the crankshaft pulley bolt as shown. If you do not have an impact gun, have a friend sit in the, car put the car in 5th gear, and step on the brakes while you loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt.

5. For this step you will need a pulley puller. It is very hard to remove the stock pulley without one. Our pulley puller had three hooks that attached to the edges of the crank pulley and a screw type pointy bolt that was centered on the loose crankshaft pulley bolt. With a 15 mm wrench we tightened the screw type bolt down until the pulley popped out. We then removed the loose crankshaft pulley bolt and removed the OEM pulley.

6. After removing the stock pulley there will be some engine oil on the end of the crankshaft. Do not worry, that is very normal. Simply clean the oil and proceed to install the UR pulley. Match the groove on the UR pulley to the indentation on the crankshaft. Gently tap the pulley in with a soft mallet. Do not use a hammer. Install the stock crankshaft pulley bolt and screw it in finger tight.

7. To torque the pulley down we used these two steps:

a) Wedge a ratchet extension through the one of the holes in the UR pulley and one of the grooves in the engine cover. This will prevent the crankshaft from moving. With a torque wrench tighten the crankshaft bolt to 30-34 ft-lbs of torque.

b) The head of the crankshaft pulley bolt has six lines, each representing 60 degrees of rotation. Choose one of the lines then place a mark on the UR pulley at that line (red mark pictured). Then mark the line on the bolt (we used a red mark) 60 degrees counterclockwise away from the mark on the pulley. Now torque the pulley bolt until both red marks meet. We were not able to get the red marks to meet, so we got them as close to each other as possible.

8. Re-install the serpentine belt. Release the tension on the tensioner by removing the drill bit from the holes. Put the splash guard back in place and install and torque the wheel. Congratulations, you have installed your UR pulley.

See less See more
#15 · (Edited)
the peak tq comes in a little higher in the rpm band. did your honda have balls from 1000-2500?
Well i dont mean like omg 1k pwnge lol. HAHA MY GSR had some very good low end for how it was built. I had power from 2k up through every gear. the spec just seem life less till about 4k rpm. Im having to rip through 1-4 till about 3-3500 rpm to hang with traffic. Or maybe because the kid befor me put a loud as hell wake up the dead exhaust on it. That every time i get high in the gear it sounds like im at 6k rpm at 3k. Or maybe im being a vag and should just drive it till 3k and stfu lol!:biggrin:

#36 ·
For everyone having problems with the crank pulley bolt, bump your starter to see which way the crank spins and then put a wrench on it and wedge it against the ground. Give the starter a quick bump and presto! Bolt loosened.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: sadairk2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.