B15U.com - A Nissan Sentra Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Andrew
    Rides
    Drives
    '04 1.8s

Default Is my Power Steering Pump going out?

Last week all of the sudden it's become really difficult to turn the steering wheel in situations such as parking. It only happens in those super low rpm situations, once i get going its just like it always is. I've only ever driven one vehicle that didn't have power anything, and it sort of reminds me of that.. because I have to muscle it when parking/backing up or else i just go straight. So is my pump gonna go do you think?

Senior Member Send me an EMAIL!
    Rides

Default Re: Is my Power Steering Pump going out?

Have you checked your fluid level?
    DO NOT PM ME! EMAIL ONLY!
    email: jonathans123@gmail.com

Newbie Andrew
    Rides
    Drives
    '04 1.8s

Yeah I did, both when the engine was warm and cold. Both times it was at the same level (that being the warm engine max level).

Member Ashwin
    Rides
    Drives
    '03 QR25DE-T

prolly is your pump on the way out

Newbie Andrew
    Rides
    Drives
    '04 1.8s

well thats gonna suck, cause i feel like that's going to be expensive/ hard to fix... what happens if it finally fails?

usually long before the car becomes impossible to steer you will hear a whining sound ... almost like something dragging on your tire. The whine usually means pump, this seems weird if it happened "all of a sudden." rail any potholes lately? or did you just lower your car lol?

If it fails it just gets real hard to steer at low speed. You can either get it fixed or just drain the fluid and go power steeringless

Formerly known as "nothingclever"

Senior Member Mike
    Rides
    Drives
    2004 Built & Boosted Spec V

Quote Originally Posted by SE-Rvicenginesoon View Post
    usually long before the car becomes impossible to steer you will hear a whining sound ... almost like something dragging on your tire. The whine usually means pump, this seems weird if it happened "all of a sudden." rail any potholes lately? or did you just lower your car lol?

If it fails it just gets real hard to steer at low speed. You can either get it fixed or just drain the fluid and go power steeringless
    You, my friend, are scaring me. i just lowered my car, and have railed alot of potholes lately(trenton salted roads suck) and last week my car just started making a whining noise(like my altonator or power steering pump is working extra hard) and the noise gets louder as my rpms increase... anyone have any advice or answers for me?

Stock Block QR25 with Blockguard, Crower rods, CP pistons Swain Tech Coated (8.5:1 CR), t3/t4 57 trim watercooled Garrett turbo, BC2 cams, Valve Timing Locked via Two Exhaust Sprockets, Fidanza flywheel, Stage 3 Kevlar Clutch, REAL GReddy RS BOV, Protech Front Mount Intercooler, Protech Turbo Manifold, Protech Downpipe (2.5" flare to 3"), 3" catback with a bunch of vband going to a stock muffler, modified somewhat to make it fit from the 3" exhaust, J&S Ultrasafeguard with Individual Knock Control, Megasquirt3 Engine Management Standalone Running on Stock Crank Angle Wheels, Modified Sentra Spec V Injectors (900cc), JWT Fuel Rail with Full Throttle FPR, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Mechanical Throttle Linkage from KA24DE of Some Sort, B15 SE Gas Pedal, Bosch 3 Wire Idle Valve, Innovate LC-1 Wideband with Blue Digital Gauge, Nismo Front Sway Bar, Nismo Rear Sway Bar, Meth Injection (not being used right now), GReddy Boost Gauge, Exhaust Temp Gauge, Oil Pressure Gauge, PROsport Water Temp Gauge, Fuel Pressure Gauge, 17" Unknown 5 Spoke Aftermarket Wheels Wrapped in KDWs (245/45/17), VIS Carbon Fiber Trunk, Turbo Blanket, Blacked Out Grille, Lower Grille Delete, Semi Yellow Tinted Headlights, Gold Valve Cover

Quote Originally Posted by 04specvnj View Post
    You, my friend, are scaring me. i just lowered my car, and have railed alot of potholes lately(trenton salted roads suck) and last week my car just started making a whining noise(like my altonator or power steering pump is working extra hard) and the noise gets louder as my rpms increase... anyone have any advice or answers for me?
    Most likely thats the noise. I literally thought I had a stainless brakeline dragging on a tire. I listen to the whine all the time but it still turns, I need to get to it soon. Chk the lines for leaks, easiest to do them @ the same time.

It got a lot harder to park my car immediately after I lowered mine. Lowering the car puts more strain on the pump (everything really)

replacing a ps pump is not THAT difficult tho, so don't be too frightened

Formerly known as "nothingclever"

Senior Member Mike
    Rides
    Drives
    2004 Built & Boosted Spec V

okay cool... im just happy its nothing affecting my power, since the 27th is track day!

Stock Block QR25 with Blockguard, Crower rods, CP pistons Swain Tech Coated (8.5:1 CR), t3/t4 57 trim watercooled Garrett turbo, BC2 cams, Valve Timing Locked via Two Exhaust Sprockets, Fidanza flywheel, Stage 3 Kevlar Clutch, REAL GReddy RS BOV, Protech Front Mount Intercooler, Protech Turbo Manifold, Protech Downpipe (2.5" flare to 3"), 3" catback with a bunch of vband going to a stock muffler, modified somewhat to make it fit from the 3" exhaust, J&S Ultrasafeguard with Individual Knock Control, Megasquirt3 Engine Management Standalone Running on Stock Crank Angle Wheels, Modified Sentra Spec V Injectors (900cc), JWT Fuel Rail with Full Throttle FPR, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Mechanical Throttle Linkage from KA24DE of Some Sort, B15 SE Gas Pedal, Bosch 3 Wire Idle Valve, Innovate LC-1 Wideband with Blue Digital Gauge, Nismo Front Sway Bar, Nismo Rear Sway Bar, Meth Injection (not being used right now), GReddy Boost Gauge, Exhaust Temp Gauge, Oil Pressure Gauge, PROsport Water Temp Gauge, Fuel Pressure Gauge, 17" Unknown 5 Spoke Aftermarket Wheels Wrapped in KDWs (245/45/17), VIS Carbon Fiber Trunk, Turbo Blanket, Blacked Out Grille, Lower Grille Delete, Semi Yellow Tinted Headlights, Gold Valve Cover

Newbie Andrew
    Rides
    Drives
    '04 1.8s

Well i wish i had just lowered my car, but unfortunately thats not the case.....one day....

I talked with one of my friends who's way into Vdubs, and he said I could go either way, just delete the power steering or replace the pump and neither are difficult to do.

I'm in the same boat new to the site Lowered my 00 1.8 two years ago, my car used to be just difficult to steer when starting/going slow now it's gradually more all the time. Fluid level is not going down at all, so I'm not thinking it's a leak in the rack. No whining but i hope it's the pump. Could it be the belt even though it's not squeaking?

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose64 View Post
    Last week all of the sudden it's become really difficult to turn the steering wheel in situations such as parking. It only happens in those super low rpm situations, once i get going its just like it always is. I've only ever driven one vehicle that didn't have power anything, and it sort of reminds me of that.. because I have to muscle it when parking/backing up or else i just go straight. So is my pump gonna go do you think?
    I'm having this same issue but my car is not lowered. It will stall when I try to parrallel park or have to turn steering wheel all the way at low speeds. I'mn wondering the pump is the culprit?
    2001 Nissan Sentra 2.0 Auto

Senior Member Mod in this bish

The power steering switch is possibly out. Does it make any noise at all when you're parking? The switch tells the ECU to turn up the idle when it's reaching high pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big J View Post
    .....I'm good, but i'm not a car psychic

02/03 ECU to 04-06 ECU swap harnesses
    http://www.b15u.com/members-services...p-harness.html

No no noise when parking, what is the part #? Would happen to know where the switch is located and how to check it?

Might want to get yourself a copy of the FSM for your car. If your sig is correct and you have a 01 SE, then it is along the high pressure line on the near the rack. The only way to check it is to pull the ECU harness and use a voltmeter to see the values when the car is running and you need to turn it lock to lock.

Here's a link to the FSM: www.nicoclub.com/fsm

Does this happen when you turn on your AC at idle? If it does, then it's most likely the IACV.

Thanks for the info, ill check the switch this Sunday. The car was a GXE but someone swapped out the engine for a 2.0.

My AC hasn't worked in years but if I do turn it on, the idle drops slightly but returns to normal. What are the tell tale signs IACV needs to be replaced

I don't think your IACV is the culprit here since it idles fine right? If the car doesn't idle then the IACV could be bad.

Idles fine, what about the power steering switch?

Download the FSM, look under EC.pdf and find the power steering switch section and it will tell you how to diagnose it. Again, if the switch is not working, it will not tell the ECU to raise the idle while you're doing your parking maneuver.

Thanks for the tip on where to look. I'll check this out hopefully this weekend and report the outcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast