A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
11,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few questions, thoughts, suggestions etc about this swap. There's information littered everywhere, but I would like to consolidate it into one thread. If you have any insight on this process, please post it here. There will eventually be a single thread with all the RIGHT information - this thread is just to gather all thoughts. I'm not sure whats right in this thread, so please correct me.

Conversion by swapping the Engine harness
Here's what you need:
04+ ECU
04+ Gas Pedal
04+ MAF
04+ Cluster (Optional)
04+ Knock Sensor
04+ O2 sensors

Issues w/ harness swap:
Plugs behind the glove box need to be re-pinned (http://www.b15u.com/sentra-specific-installation-guides-technical-info/13738-02-03-04-ecu-swap.html)
Plugs on driver side shock tower needs to be re-pinned (http://www.b15u.com/sentra-specific-installation-guides-technical-info/13738-02-03-04-ecu-swap.html)
Power steering plug is different - 02/03 has just one wire, 04+ has 3 wires. (Signal can be spoofed using the TPS signal http://www.b15u.com/tuning-engine-management/31121-02-03-ecu-04-ecu-swap-faq.html#post527317)

Purchasing a conversion harness
Here's what you need:
04+ ECU
04+ MAF

Issues w/ harness conversion:
02/03 gauge cluster plug does not have CAN hi/lo wires for Osiris?
Can't use wideband o2 sensor for 06 ECU?
Sensitive knock sensor
Idle issues w/ 04 MAF being spliced into 02/03 pigtail?

·
11,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Power steering thoughts:
On the 02/03 models the power steering pressure switch sends a 5v signal when you're NOT turning the wheel - 0v when you are.
On the 04+ models, the power steering pressure switch sends a .4-.8v signal when you're NOT turning the wheel, 0.5 - 4V when you are.
Maybe a normally open relay can be used w/ a resistor on the signal line - still thinking about this.

HOWEVER…
The part #'s for power steering pumps are identical from 02-Present: 49110-4Z800
So maybe just the sensors are different? Rock auto has two different sensors or 02/03 to 04+, maybe they're interchangeable?

02/03 Sensor:
2002 sw.jpeg

04+ Sensor:
2004 ps.jpeg

·
6,695 Posts
Ash, power steering switch/sensor are as follows:

49110-4Z800 - QG 02+
49761-9E020 - 02/03 PS switch
49763-6N20A - 04+ PS sensor

As far as that sensor go, if you swap and you don't have it, you will get a pending P0550 code for it. I'm thinking of simulating the sensor signal with another variable 0-5v sensor like the tps or acc pedal.

Joe has apparently figured out to use the 02/03 Cluster but have yet to answer my question regarding the SES light/tach since on the 04's it's run by can.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The only way this thread will work is to continually update the first post. First off, and 04 cluster is NOT required. When I finished the swap, I got 1 code. Fuel Sender Level Low (thats going off memory). It did not effect the fuel gauge. When using the 02 cluster you will need to pin the ECU for the tach signal. The two body harnesses under the dash are the same clips on both gens but the wiring is totally off. So dont connect them without repinning. For the CAN H Lo wires, run them directly from the ECU dash harness to the ODBII port. Run the newly pinned tach signal to the body harness. The rest is just repinning. Rey could grab a pic. I have the colors somwhere I can get. What will not work are the check engine light on the cluster and the cruise. I know I could fix both. You could possibly run the CAN H L to the back of the 02 Cluster. At this time, that means you have no map switching. Which you can only do on an 04 ECU. All 05 ECUs do not support map switching. 06 is totally different and wideband integrated.

For the body harness on the driver's shock tower, the 04 has two connectors, the 02 has three. The 04 has the starter integrated so that will have to be cut and repinned into the 02 body harness. Cake. The rest is just repinning. I will be doing more of these so i can keep this updated.

For the PS pressure switch, DO NOT remove the MIL in Osiris otherwise your ECU will never get into readiness mode. Leads to poor performance.

·
11,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The two body harnesses under the dash are the same clips on both gens but the wiring is totally off. So dont connect them without repinning
I'm assuming this just means moving some wires around so the they match?

For the CAN H Lo wires, run them directly from the ECU dash harness to the ODBII port
Awesome

What will not work are the check engine light on the cluster and the cruise. I know I could fix both. You could possibly run the CAN H L to the back of the 02 Cluster.
This is probably not an issue if you're using an 04+ cluster, correct?

For the body harness on the driver's shock tower, the 04 has two connectors, the 02 has three. The 04 has the starter integrated so that will have to be cut and repinned into the 02 body harness.
Thanks!

·
6,695 Posts
The "L" means lapis. It is light bluish color. You got the wires correct. If you look under DI.pdf (cluster) you'll see that it's labeled as such.

·
11,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome, I was actually looking at DI, maybe I missed it. I'm guessing this two wires will need to be a twisted pair.

The "L" means lapis. It is light bluish color. You got the wires correct. If you look under DI.pdf (cluster) you'll see that it's labeled as such.

·
6,695 Posts
Yup, it gives of .x to 4.x volts depending on how much you press. I just tried it yesterday and P0550 didn't come back. Usually it's back on after a few seconds since the ecu doesn't see the sensor. Oh without the sensor your idle will sit a little bit higher like around 800 +/- 50, but with the simulation it will sit where it should've been at 750 +/- 50 or so.

·
11,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol that's awesome

Yup, it gives of .x to 4.x volts depending on how much you press. I just tried it yesterday and P0550 didn't come back. Usually it's back on after a few seconds since the ecu doesn't see the sensor. Oh without the sensor your idle will sit a little bit higher like around 800 +/- 50, but with the simulation it will sit where it should've been at 750 +/- 50 or so.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts