change the oil
and i drive it, push it, race it, cruise it constantly

less trouble than my radical na tunes
22mpg even pushing it

imo
go uprev
have joe do the inital tune
drive the hell out of it

no joke, i have had people who know me, swear this would not last a week at 16lb in my hands

lol it's been months and at least 100 launches

[remember, i reduced a built na machine to dust in 6 months]

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for all the help peeps. I am ordering an UpRev "kit" from 2JR. Only question I have is if anyone recommends getting an 06 kit over and 04 kit for any reason. All I know is that the 06 forces you to switch to 2 wideband O2 sensors (which are in the kit) right away instead of keeping 2 classic O2 sensors. I am thinking down the road, wideband O2 sensors are double the price of a normal O2 sensor when they need replaced.

2JR Joe said that the widebands will give me a more solid tune apparently, but I have a wideband gauge in my car and my tuner here brings an external wideband gauge with him to tune. Plus, he's just going to wipe the ECU and re-write with UpRev anyways.
Thoughts?

· Registered
435 Posts
Imho go with whatever joe is sending you as they are the "kit" I used the same thing and everything went together perfect and started on first try. I have the 06 ecu with mine and love it. I only use 2 maps lo & hi boost. I have a wot box for my drag stuff. Most boost guys have afr gauges in their cars and all tuners I know use the exhaust sniffer for dyno tuning.

· Premium Member
20,952 Posts
The 06 is better because it has a more accurate tune Because Of the factory wideband.

Yes 04 or any year you're gonna tune with wideband, However the 06 ecu is better because it monitors factory wideband sensors as is. The other ecu's don't do that. With an aftermarket setup you can monitor it, but the ecu can't.

Up to you what you get. What Joe told you is true. I would run 04 only because I am already 04. Otherwise I'd run 06 because its better. Its worth whatever the extra cost is.

Reactions: MisterNuts

· Super Moderator
6,882 Posts
Just go with the 06 because the ECU will be able to properly anticipate your AFRs more accurately than a conventional narrowband. You'll end up with 2 widebands basically, 1 for the ECU and 1 for your gauge. The one for the ECU will be the one for tuning as they can see what the engine is doing while they monitor things out of the ECU. The gauge is now just for the gauge. They might still put one on the sniffer just to make sure on their end that everything matches up.

Also you might be confusing getting 2 AF sensors and replacing both of your O2 sensors which it doesn't. You still have the option of keeping the downstream O2 sensor. That sensor is only meant to monitor the cat efficiency. You should end up with 3 sensors (2 wide and 1 narrow) on your exhaust.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Further talk with 2JR got me to stay with the 06 kit as they send it. I'm talking between my tuner and 2JR currently about license questions; I will NOT run a pre-packaged tune that is sent to me via the mail. That's what tuning pros are for.

I'm gonna go look around the UpRev threads some for some answers as well before I order the kit. I'm almost there too hyped.

Well I guess I can ask and go look around too; does anyone know about "transferring" UpRev licenses? I was told by 2JR that the UpRev license they will send in my kit will be on my ECU. It will then be transferred onto my local tuner's UpRev cable, tuned, then put back onto my ECU. Apparently.
My local UpRev dealer/tuner and my tech whom works on this both say that an UpRev license is specific PER CABLE. Ex; I get 2JR UpRev kit, my tuner cannot access their tune/license on my ECU.

Ok thanks again peoples I'm talking and looking for info now, be tuned within weeks with that sweet QR25 update!!

· Super Moderator
6,882 Posts
Not how it works really. The license stays with your ECU. The tuner can write roms endlessly and using the uprev cable he can flash the rom into the licensed ECU. Basically it doesn't need to be transferred to the cable then back to your ECU. You may be confusing it with the rom file or tune file.

Here's how it works really. Depending on specific situations, it usually goes like this. If Joe is just sending you a licensed ECU, then that means the ECU carries the license with it. IF you buy an Uprev cable with a license, the license is with that cable UNTIL you use it to flash an ECU. You CAN retrieve the license back from that previously flashed ECU and reload it back to the cable so you can put it/flash it back into a different OR even the same ECU. The license allows the Osiris to flash a rom into an ECU. If Joe sends you a tuned ECU, the ECU will have the license that can be retrieved (once you flash the "back to stock" ROM from Uprev). The rom file that's flashed into the ECU, CAN also be retrieved, however most likely be locked. At this point, I'm actually not sure what it means. Either it's read only or you can't even read anything so as to prevent copying of tunes.

So to recap, there's 2 things. The Rom file and the license. The license can stay with the ECU if you're using the same ECU. You can retrieve or "dump" the rom, however, it may be locked. You can retrieve the license back into an Uprev cable to be used on another ECU.

· Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Locked ROMs cannot be viewed whatsoever FYI. Any shop making a buck tuning via Uprev will likely lock their ROM as well.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I can't effing wait to post up. My precision is somehow smoking more than it should, so after I get it warrantied I will be tuning. I'm waiting with my injectors and my 2JR 02 UpRev kit.................just waitin..........

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.