A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently found out that my front left wheel bearing is bad. Now i have only just started learning about cars, so I'm not really positive what needs to be done/ can i do it myself. Any feedback would be great!

· Registered
399 Posts
Advice from a noob: DIY but have a shop press the bearing into the hub. Or anyone with a good press that won't damage the bearing itself. Rear bearings are much easier because they come pressed into a hub from the factory, and you swap out the entire hub. Front ones are a pain because of the pressing aspect. Do NOT bang on the bearing with a hammer. I used a hydraulic press at my dads work, forget what kind of press it was. Also, if you can have a shop press it in, they'll only charge you like 50-60 bucks.

· Registered
399 Posts
If you're in or near NY, I'll help you get the knuckle, with hub, off the car and back on, free of charge. But I don't have access to a press, and I'm short on time this week.

http://www.b15u.com/sentra-specific...5537-how-front-wheel-bearing-replacement.html

if you wanna DIY. Just don't follow the hammering-of-the-bearing part. Have a shop take care of the pressing, and you'll only have to pay enough for an eighth of bud. Lol. Everything but the pressing is just bolts and nuts. Welcome to the SE-R-B15 forum, or whatever this thing is.

· Registered
74 Posts
FWIW : If the bearing is really bad and allows excessive play, it may damage the inside of the hub. It will not be excessive, but even 1mm can cause the new bearing to fail prematurely. You can get a loaded hub with the bearing already in for not much more. Check ebay and amazon; pretty good prices and saves you the $40 and driving time of having the old pressed out and new one in.

· Super Moderator
6,882 Posts
FWIW : If the bearing is really bad and allows excessive play, it may damage the inside of the hub. It will not be excessive, but even 1mm can cause the new bearing to fail prematurely.
This is true. That's why I've always replaced them in pairs.

You can get a loaded hub with the bearing already in for not much more. Check ebay and amazon; pretty good prices and saves you the $40 and driving time of having the old pressed out and new one in.
This, however, isn't. The bearing and hub needs to be installed separately. The bearing is locked in with a snap ring behind the hub. So the hub needs to come out first, then the snap ring, then the bearing. I wish it was as easy as some of the Chryslers like those minivans. 3 or 4 bolts (can't remember) and they're out as an assembly.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of your responses! My brother-in-law has a press at his shop so I think i'll try using that. The only problem is getting the old one off now. Can I use a press to remove the old one?

· Registered
5,617 Posts
Thank you for all of your responses! My brother-in-law has a press at his shop so I think i'll try using that. The only problem is getting the old one off now. Can I use a press to remove the old one?
you can use something like this to remove the bearing off the old hub. If your bro has a press in his shop i'm sure he can help you out and might already have everything you need.

· Registered
399 Posts
You can take the knuckle off the car easily if the hub doesn't come out. A used knuckle is like 30-40 bucks with the hub inside it from a used car part dealer I know of. Totaled Sentras are cheap and plentiful, and it may not be worth your time to get the hub out of the bearing. It sure wasn't for me, plus the inside of the hub was dirty with crap that got inside the bearing. GL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.