A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to using forums so here it goes.

I drive a 2005 Spec V. When my misfire began I had 4-2-1 OBX Headers, using the anti-fouler trick on the second sensor, catless with a resonator and Nismo muffler. I already took care of the butterfly screws two years ago when I purchased the vehicle. I thought my head gasket was going because I smelled coolant, and before this became a full misfire it was an occasional sputter. I brought it down to a small shop to have my compression tested and had them check for vacuum leaks as well. The reports said that my compression was fine and no vacuum leaks were found, the mechanic also claimed that the "cause" of my misfire was due to the first 02 sensor only reading bank 1 due to it's position on the headers. Long story short, I took the headers off (had to pass emissions anyways), replaced the 02 sensors, and the misfire continued to occur and has been happening more frequently over time.

The car now has 3 levels of misfire:
1. Gradual Misfire that starts as a sputter and grows into a slight misfire, which turns my CEL on.
2. Light Misfire that usually goes away after shifting and stopping a few times, when it persists long enough causes my CEL to flash.
3. Rough Misfire that causes my entire car to stutter and shake, sounds like a choppy lawnmower and causes my CEL to flash.

The codes never stay for long but it's always a p0300.

The problem occurs on multiple occasions:
1. Upon start up, will idle around 1100-1200 rpms and have an audible light misfire, when I begin to drive (within a mile or so) it goes
away or turns into the rough misfire.
2. Upon take off (1st gear) it will sputter and turn into a light misfire (more likely to continue to misfire and turn into rough misfire)
3. Randomly while I'm driving, mostly in between shifting (2nd to 3rd & 3rd to 4th especially)
4. Randomly while driving between 2-3k rpms.
5. At idle, if I leave it running it will almost definitely misfire within 5 minutes.

I've also noticed it is more likely to misfire if I park/take off on a slight uphill slant, but it does happen occasionally when parked downhill.

So, with that being said here is the list of things that I have done to the car since purchasing it:

AEM Short Ram Air Intake and Filter (bought car with a cold air, previous owner shredded wheel well)
OEM Mass Air Flow Sensor
Hitatchi Throttle Body
OEM Gas Pedal
Spark Plugs (from dealer)
All New OEM Coils
OEM Crank Position Sensor
OEM Cam Sensor
New Intake Gaskets
OEM 02 Sensors (replaced at least twice each)
OEM PCV Valve
OEM Serpentine Belt
Compression and Vacuum Tested
Wiring Harness has been thoroughly inspected by Nissan (Electrical Issues when I bought it - Resolved)

I have also brought my car into the dealership on MULTIPLE occasions for problems that have completely stumped me. It has been to the dealership 3 times since this problem began occurring and they continue to tell me that there is nothing wrong with my car and that all of my problems are being caused by my AEM intake because it's an "aftermarket part." (It has been on my car since a week after I bought it, about 2 years now, and never caused any problems)

The most help I have gotten from Nissan is that they recorded during a live test when it happened to stumble and quickly went back to running normal, when it stumbled "alpha readings went up to 137% vehicle went into lean condition."

IF ANYONE CAN OFFER ANY INSIGHT ON THIS PROBLEM IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY POST.

·
Registered
988 Posts
MAF sensor? This happened to me before. It was getting the misfire codes and random flashes of the CEL and some sputtering. I had to disconnect the maf and plug it back in and it fixed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MAF sensor? This happened to me before. It was getting the misfire codes and random flashes of the CEL and some sputtering. I had to disconnect the maf and plug it back in and it fixed it.

I tried that, when I disconnected the MAF and plugged it back in it got worse, it was sputtering then the idle would drop to 150 rpms and go back up to about 800 without stalling, but really close. Then I disconnected it again and blew into it and plugged it back in and it went back to normal, and began misfiring as it was before.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would recheck the wires going to the coil packs and fuel injectors. Get a second opinion on those or thoroughly inspect them yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts