A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, my Spec v is leaking oil from this triangle bracket thing where the oil pressure switch is. It is at a shop right now and they cannot find either that part or a gasket for that part. They tried putting gasket sealant and it still leaked. Nissan isn't being any help either. They have also tried going to a junkyard to check other cars with the QR25 and none of them fit. Any ideas what this part is or a part number??

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Never seen that before. Maybe someone else has idk. Have you taken the triangle piece off to see what going on behind it?cuz it definitely shouldn't be there

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally have not seen what's behind it. Could it be a JDM related part? This isn't the original motor that came in the car. The previous owner had this crate motor put in.

·
Super Moderator
5,467 Posts
This looks like a second gen motor swapped in, that location looks like where the oem heat exchanger bolts to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I can't find any sort of block off plate for the qr online so I'm assuming someone fabricated it their self. Do you think I should get the oil cooler and install it or find someone to make another block off plate?

·
Super Moderator
5,467 Posts
Check to make sure the surface is flat, worse case the plate may need top be machined flat.

·
Super Moderator
5,467 Posts
Was thinking about and there might be a gasket that actually goes there, would have to look at a parts finche to be sure.

·
6,683 Posts
There's a rubber "O" ring for the oil cooler. It's a formed rubber seal. It's like 5 bucks at the dealer, but that mates to the actual cooler. I don't know if the cooler has grooves to accept the seal. If it does, and that plate you have doesn't then the seal won't work and will just get squished and possibly leak. That's probably why you have a ton of rtv in there.

On a side note, that looks like an Altima block with B15 upper oil pan. @CrickiKaze check out that 6N2 stamping.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a gasket that goes there. They were able to repair the gasket and it appears to not be leaking anymore. Hopefully it is actually fixed.

And dang really so you think it's not a Spec V motor? It's supposedly a crate engine from Nissan so that's weird if it's a frankenstein engine.

·
Super Moderator
5,467 Posts
Good, I couldn't look it up at work. I actually have a heat exchange sitting in the garage and was going to look at it when I got home.

@MoltenNismo , I don't know if it was in one of the old threads that I did a break down for but the Spec block I had almost lined up 100% to the upper oil pan, 1 bolt off and that is where I left off as from what I remember the bsr wouldn't bolt due to the bs being in a completely different location....this "more evidence" is going to lead me to go hit the salvage yards....I have a busted lower oil pan in the garage ready to go to verify.....and if its good then I'm going to sleeve the block....

@JibbelSandwich can you take a pic of the block by the tranny and the head?

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I dont recognize that on a gen 1 QR25 at all. I has to be another generation or from another car. The above post about the oil cooler gasket is wrong. Those are on the Gen 2+ 4 cyls and not part of this motor jugding by the pic. My advise is to remove, clean GOOD, and use good rtv like Right Stuff. The rtv should seal any minor imperfections. Still leaves the question as to what motor is actually is ??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems like it is still leaking oil. Not as much as before but still leaking. I'm going to have to go under myself this weekend now that I know about this frankenstein part.

The o ring gasket mentioned above is what connects the top part of the oil cooler to the bottom half. There is a metal gasket that connects the oil cooler(in my case, the metal plate) to the block.

I think I'm going to pick up a new metal gasket and try that since the shop already tried just using rtv and it still leaked. I used to think the leak was from either the lower or upper oil pan but the shop said it wasn't. I really hope it is just this bad gasket and not the upper oil pan.

Here are some older shots from when I first noticed the leak. I haven't had this car for too long and don't want to get rid of it because it is a really fun car.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Im not sure of that. Thats the oil cooler gasket for the oil cooler on the later gens. I have replaced them a few times before. The 4 bolt gaskets goes in between cooler and block and the rubber one goes on top of the cooler to seperate oil and coolant. You have pictured a 3 bolt plate. I cant think of where the oil pressure sensor is at the moment. You have to use good rtv. Also figure out what exact motor you have and why there is a block off plate there in the first place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I guess the only way would be to unbolt it and see what the gasket in there looks like at this point haha

Anyway to find out what engine it is exactly?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts