A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So I was able to get under the car today and was able to look at everything myself and here's what I found. I'm wondering what the shop actually "fixed" with the gasket since it looks like they just spread rtv over all of the cracks which makes me wonder why they would put it anywhere else other than the plate if that was supposedly the only place leaking. And with the wider picture of the plate you can see the gasket sticking out over the 4th bolt hole. So I'm pretty sure if I were to get the oil cooler it would bolt up fine and that this is indeed (or at least part of) a second gen qr25. But then that probably wouldn't even fix the leak since it seems like it could be coming from multiple spots.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Are you asking why theres rtv in other places?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
6,560 Posts
It has the stamping of Nissan Japan. Most Mexican made QR25's just say Nissan on it afaik. So that's a little suspect unless JDM gen 1 QR25/QR20's have coolers that I didn't know of and it was swapped in there. Measure the stroke. Pull the spark plug out, stick the dipstick in there, get the engine down to bdc, mark the dipstick, get the engine to tdc then mark again. Measure that. If it measures roughly 4" (100mm) then it's a true QR25, but if it measures 3.125" or so (80mm), you got a QR20.

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
It has the stamping of Nissan Japan. Most Mexican made QR25's just say Nissan on it afaik. So that's a little suspect unless JDM gen 1 QR25/QR20's have coolers that I didn't know of and it was swapped in there. Measure the stroke. Pull the spark plug out, stick the dipstick in there, get the engine down to bdc, mark the dipstick, get the engine to tdc then mark again. Measure that. If it measures roughly 4" (100mm) then it's a true QR25, but if it measures 3.125" or so (80mm), you got a QR20.
Nope....the 20s didn't have the coolers, only came on the second gen QRs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The previous owner said he measured it before he had a shop swap it. My butt dyno also says it has a lot of torque haha. So unless he doesn't know how to measure and my butt dyno is off, I'm pretty sure it's a qr25 but I guess I could measure myself too. I'm wondering if he got the block and it didn't come with the oil cooler already installed so there was just a big hole and so they blocked it off since he wouldn't already have one because he was replacing a first gen qr.

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
I do have the OEM heat exchanger worse case, and if the tb coolant bypass is done already then it works out.

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
If they're are any lines/ hoses going to the tb and connecting to the hard line below it.

The exchange needs coolant lines running to it and the tb heater lines would work just fine.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I get it now. You have a 2nd gen QR. What year is your car? I posted about it being a 3 bolt flange but clearly thats a custom made 3 bolt oil cooler delete using a 4 bolt gasket. The metal gasket should have a ridge around it that compresses when tightened, making the seal. The new 3 bolt cooler delete doesnt match to the gasket because the gasket does not have the sealing ridge across the middle on the top side. They caked rtv on to seal it but there is no flange on the block to seal correctly.

I think your best bet is to have someone make a 4 bolt delete plate or get the oem oil cooler. Cooler deleting is not even benificial imo but I understand that a new cooler is probly $500+ guessing. Try used or a junkyard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'll have to take a look at the tb @CrickiKaze

@Sus Spec I have a 05. Yeah my only guess is that they made the plate since they didn't have an oil cooler handy or didn't know it needed one when they swapped engines. I'd rather have the oil cooler since it's supposed to and I also don't see any benefits either. Do you think I'd need an OEM? I found this one on Amazon and it has good reviews for only $60
https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Bracket-2007-2013-21300-JA06A-21304-JA00A/dp/B01I48HXFO/ref=pd_sbs_263_t_0/130-6723537-5183849?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01I48HXFO&pd_rd_r=585db801-ad46-4b2c-893a-a4997d36af50&pd_rd_w=ZpqQ4&pd_rd_wg=z3dks&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=Z152HHBTY3J62VM33C86&psc=1&refRID=Z152HHBTY3J62VM33C86

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
See what they offer at the parts store online first, they tend to have bots fluff the reviews.

I'm going to look at the one I have in the garage

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I am so confused as to why you would have a Gen 2 in an 05 SpecV. The motor mount setup is very different and hard to convert. Unless someone swapped a B16 block (to replace wasted rings?) into it and slapped a B15 head on it to make it fit. Am I the only one on this?

As far as I know the Gen 1 QR does not have that oil galley and is just an oil pressure switch that screws into the block.

I guess you would have to bolt the Gen 2 cooler on but probly cant run coolant to it because its a different set up. Dont need it tho.

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
I am so confused as to why you would have a Gen 2 in an 05 SpecV. The motor mount setup is very different and hard to convert. Unless someone swapped a B16 block (to replace wasted rings?) into it and slapped a B15 head on it to make it fit. Am I the only one on this?

As far as I know the Gen 1 QR does not have that oil galley and is just an oil pressure switch that screws into the block.

I guess you would have to bolt the Gen 2 cooler on but probly cant run coolant to it because its a different set up. Dont need it tho.

I need to spool you up.

The block will work for the most part and it wouldn't take much with the coolant lines as there are 2 different ways to use it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I didn't see a coolant line going to the throttle body, only the intake manifold. It doesn't seem to be dripping oil on the ground after I drive so if it does start again I'll try to go the cooler route but @Sus Spec it won't route correctly?
Here's a couple of pics

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
Those lines are either capped off or routed to each other. One is on the t-stat housing and the other is on the hard line.... luckily I have an image on my phone to show you

Keep on forgetting to make a thread on this but if you see the 2 black caps, that's where the hoses would run from.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Interesting setup you have. Thanks for the good pics.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts