A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a 2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V and am concerned with the pre-cat issue. I don't want to spend too much money and lose any performance anywhere in the powerband.

These XS headers seem to have a fair price, are they a good buy?

Thanks.

·
6,543 Posts
Go to ebay. All of them are pretty much from the same manufacturer. If you just want to get rid of the precat, you can just do the shorty which is a bit cheaper than that because that replaces the midpipe as well. You will gain some out of any ebay header but if you want to gain more look for brand named ones like Nismo, Stillen, Hotshot or 2J's.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

Thanks.
Go to ebay. You will gain some out of any ebay header but if you want to gain more look for brand named ones like Nismo, Stillen, Hotshot or 2J's.
I had the same setup on my car for 7+ yrs, never any problems like cracks or leaks from it & it did increase power I would take MoltenNismo's advice and look on ebay for it and save a little bit of coin. If you are looking for more power from a header look for the Nismo, Stillen, Hotshot or purchase the Spyder header from www.2jracing.com PS the previous stated 3 headers are not made anymore & are considered "unicorn parts"...I hope this helps.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
all the good headers mentioned are imo very hard to find
there are 3, 2j types
my preference is their race header

2nd, the medusa
DSCN1687 by Barry Belgard, on Flickr

and currently available
https://www.2j-racing.com/exhaust/2jr-street-spec-spyder-header.html

not as expensive as it appears
as it is usable with the stock exhaust system

the ebay headers, imo, only make a horrible racket when hooked to the stock exhaust

so with the ebay header
comes bundled a new cat back system
often

or you might choose a DC header
well made, excellent fitment, last a long time
easy to add a cat to.

way easier to find used

but little or no performance gain

·
Super Moderator
21,694 Posts
Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a 2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V and am concerned with the pre-cat issue. I don't want to spend too much money and lose any performance anywhere in the powerband.

Thanks.
I ran that header on my car for years before I went turbo, never had a problem with it.
I agree with Yogi tho, spend a bit more money, and get a better product. 2J's Spyder header has decent gains, and if you choose to upgrade cams and go hi-compression pistons at a later date, you will gain even more, and should you go turbo, you can probably have the 2J header sold before you take it off your car.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
all the good headers mentioned are imo very hard to find
there are 3, 2j types
my preference is their race header

2nd, the medusa
DSCN1687 by Barry Belgard, on Flickr

and currently available
https://www.2j-racing.com/exhaust/2jr-street-spec-spyder-header.html

not as expensive as it appears
as it is usable with the stock exhaust system

the ebay headers, imo, only make a horrible racket when hooked to the stock exhaust

so with the ebay header
comes bundled a new cat back system
often

or you might choose a DC header
well made, excellent fitment, last a long time
easy to add a cat to.

way easier to find used

but little or no performance gain
I know where there's a race h3ader for sale
Have the madusa now
Spyder also looks good

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I suppose my primary concern is getting rid of the faulty pre-cat as cheaply as possible. However, I don't want to lose any power, and if I can gain any power, even better.

I don't plan on modifying the car other than the header anytime soon. I heard that putting a high-performance header on a car with an otherwise stock exhaust is actually bad for performance? That's my trepidation with getting the 2J street headers.

I also have the option of getting used DC headers for around 200 or so, but it doesn't look like it bolts up to the stock midpipe.

·
Super Moderator
21,694 Posts
Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I suppose my primary concern is getting rid of the faulty pre-cat as cheaply as possible. However, I don't want to lose any power, and if I can gain any power, even better.

I don't plan on modifying the car other than the header anytime soon. I heard that putting a high-performance header on a car with an otherwise stock exhaust is actually bad for performance? That's my trepidation with getting the 2J street headers.

I also have the option of getting used DC headers for around 200 or so, but it doesn't look like it bolts up to the stock midpipe.
putting a header on will not cause anything detrimental to happen to your car, you will see an instant gain (not much tho, depending on the header you get) simply from the reduction in backpressure on the engine. it wont be anything like OMG LOOK AT MY POWERS!!! but you will be able to feel it in the seat of your pants. plus, you get rid of a potential engine destroying issue. win win in my opinion

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
If you go with the dc header that replaces your stock mid pipe too. So you would run no cats. Or you could have a cat welded in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,790 Posts

as stated
the DC comes with it's own midpipe

i had a high flow cat welded in

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone,

I think I may go with the 2J Spyder header based on the overall positive reception. The one concern is heat, though. Does the header increase the temps of the engine over stock? If so, is it worth it to heat wrap the headers?

I plan on daily driving the car with occasional spirited driving.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Hi everyone,

I think I may go with the 2J Spyder header based on the overall positive reception. The one concern is heat, though. Does the header increase the temps of the engine over stock? If so, is it worth it to heat wrap the headers?

Have it ceramic coated it'll help control the heat if that's your worries

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hi everyone,

You should wrap or ceramic coat the header to try and keep the temps down at the alternator. Wrap would be a slightly cheaper option but the wrap process can be a PITA especially if you've never done it. I think the $90 extra for ceramic coating is worth it. I love my gold coated Medusa.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Hi everyone,

engine compartment temps may rise some

but not engine coolant temps, it wont overheat your engine

i ceramic coated both my headers [DC and 2J race header]
DSCN0538_zps90084c93 by Barry Belgard, on Flickr

but wrapped the turbo down pipe and use a turbo blanket for the turbo charger
DSCN0481 (2) by Barry Belgard, on Flickr

both seem to work for keeping under hood temps lower
imo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help everyone! I went with the 2j spyder, ceramic coated.
They didnt have gold sadly so i went with silver.
It will take 3 weeks for.the header to ship. I will.keep everyone updated with pics and results.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey everyone, so my 2J header just arrived. Unfortunately, a neighbor delivered the box to me after mentioning that he found it lying in the middle of the street. . I hope it didn't fall out of the box during the transport and get damaged!

Is this little indentation in the collector pipe normal? 20170725_190143.jpg

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Hey everyone, so my 2J header just arrived. Unfortunately, a neighbor delivered the box to me after mentioning that he found it lying in the middle of the street. . I hope it didn't fall out of the box during the transport and get damaged!

Is this little indentation in the collector pipe normal? View attachment 130874
That lil dent shouldn't affect it imo. The gasket Will be around that section going into the midpipe so you should be good

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the response, kaz. And sorry for the late reply, work situation has caused me to put this repair on a brief hold.

Well, I got the old manifold off, and I'm wondering, how clean does the surface need to be to ensure that there are no leaks? I used a scotch-brite pad and some throttle body cleaner (it's made of acetone and toluene) to get this gunk off, and, well, it still looks like this: 20170818_112110r.jpg

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts