A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Sentra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Having some issues with my 1.8. Ive tried searching with no success.

Car: 03 1.8 / 5spd GXE 129K, car is in really nice shape

Back story: I bought the car with a blown head gasket to make a nice little daily out of, So I have no prior knowledge of the car.

I did a head gasket, and and had the head redone/checked for leaks while apart. Pulled codes and had a crank shaft position sensor and P0303. Checked the coil, it was bad so i replaced all 4 coils and the crank position sensor.

Car starts and runs great while cold. Drives with no issues, plenty of power all day long. Problem is once it is warmed up it will not sit and idle. Just dies, have to give it just a little gas to keep it running. No codes, so far I have put 200 miles on it and still no codes. I pulled the injectors/rail and primed them to see if they were leaking and they are not. Cleaned up and put in with new seals, no change.

Car has new coils, crank position sensor, plugs (NGK), temp sensor, and knock sensor (previous owner did the knock sensor). It gives me no codes what so ever. Where do I start to diagnose this issue, any tips?

Also note that if I turn the ac on the car will idle better, but from higher rpm to dead stop will still sometimes die.

Thanks for any help

Joe H.
2003 Sentra GXE 1.8 /5spd

·
Registered
503 Posts
Have you done an idle relearn once up to temp with aircon and lights off ?
When cold the idle speed will be higher, as it will with the aircon on, so it seems your warm idle speed is too low.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Sentra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done the idle relearn twice now. Both after about 20/30 minutes of warm up. Both appeared to take. Still no change.

I should also note that the car sat for about a year prior to me purchasing it. I wonder if it could be gummed up injectors. I topped it off with fresh fuel and put some fuel system cleaner in.

When it stops raining here I will take it for a ride, get it good and warm, and try the relearn again just to make sure. I'm also going to spray carb cleaner around the intake to check for vacuum leaks to eliminate that possibility.

I do have a scanner that allows me to look at live data on the car, anything that anyone can think of I can look at to find out what's going on?

Thanks
Joe H.
2003 Sentra GXE 1.8 /5spd

·
Registered
503 Posts
You'll know if the relearn is successful as the rpms should die down to almost a stall and then raise again to the correct level. If this does not happen then the relearn process did not start.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Sentra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kev,

Ive done the relearn on my Altima before. Problem with the Sentra is when I get to the end where you start it and rev it up it will not stay running unless I give it gas. Goes through the cycle with the engine light flashing just as I did with the Altima.

I will try it again just for clarification. For diagnostics sake lets sake the relearn did take, any other things you can think of that I should check? I'm thinking about grabbing some MAF cleaner and pulling the MAF and the throttle body off and cleaning them really well just to eliminate it from the equation. Then Ill have to do a relearn anyway.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm wondering if your injectors are standard or oversized.
To my thinking, oversized injectors might not be able to open quick enough on a shorter pulse for idle but run ok at higher speeds like cold idle and normal running.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Sentra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be surprised if they were anything other than stock. An older gentleman owned the car before, garage kept 98% of its life and well cared for. When I pulled the injectors/rail they looked just like the replacements I see online in the parts store, but I didn't check the p/n's on them. Ill try to check that this weekend.

I'm probably going to go to a local u pull yard and get a few parts to try and chase the problem. Ill look for injectors while there as well.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Sentra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update
Checked the injectors, they are stock factory injectors for this vehicle.

I bought some fuel system cleaner - Chevron with Techron that I always hear about being one of the best. I would have to agree, its done wonders for this little car. Put it in and the car is running better and better. I believe the main issue was the car had sat for a while and needed ran/cleaned out.

I have since noticed that its getting the hard start issue due to the fuel pump bleeding off when off, so I believe the repair kit or a new pump is in the works...

Thanks
Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts