A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen putting an aftermarket header is the solution for this code, but from the posts I have read there is talk about an O2 sensor spacer. Can someone explain this?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Engine type?

The codw is b/c your precat is failing. Aftermarket wont solve the issue but its a cheaper fix, unless your state has smog

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
Both

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
It is not just cause the precat is failing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
idk if its frowned upon, but ur can turn off cat code in the ecu and leave the rest on. so cat monitor wont run in the ecu. the other monitors will run so you will pass inspection. so ive heard.....lol

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The real solution is fixing the 2nd o2 sensor and if you do get an aftermarket header, you'll need to insert a spacer that you screw into the o2 bung then insert the sensor on top of that, that avoids triggering the P0420 again. Purpose is to keep the sensor from sniffing the exhaust, sometimes double stacking spacers is necessary. The o2 spacer technique is not really recommended if your car is a 2006.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a new header o
The real solution is fixing the 2nd o2 sensor and if you do get an aftermarket header, you'll need to insert a spacer that you screw into the o2 bung then insert the sensor on top of that, that avoids triggering the P0420 again. Purpose is to keep the sensor from sniffing the exhaust, sometimes double stacking spacers is necessary. The o2 spacer technique is not really recommended if your car is a 2006.
do both sensors need spacers? cause i got two on the way. my car is a 2002

·
Registered
104 Posts
The first oxygen sensor, closer to the engine, needs an accurate exhaust reading or the engine will perform poorly. So it shouldn't need a spacer, but check with the manufacturer of your header to see where they recommend to place the first oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first oxygen sensor, closer to the engine, needs an accurate exhaust reading or the engine will perform poorly. So it shouldn't need a spacer, but check with the manufacturer of your header to see where they recommend to place the ,
thanks for the advice

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
The second sensor needs the spacer, or extended it to the other side of the 2nd cat.

Reactions: Nero Energy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

This bar is in front of the 3 nuts i need to get the bottom of the manifold off. Any ideas

·
Registered
250 Posts
Im not quite sure why you are taking off you cross bar to replace the mainfold and 02 sensors? Should only be taking off alternator, belt, spring bolts, and mainfold nuts. 02 semsors and 22mm wrench do well

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im not quite sure why you are taking off you cross bar to replace the mainfold and 02 sensors? Should only be taking off alternator, belt, spring bolts, and mainfold nuts. 02 semsors and 22mm wrench do well
its in the way of the manifold nuts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just sucker that thing from the top. Since its a stock one with all the sheilding still on it, Id take off the alternator bracket, all the heat shealding from the top, and maybe the top radiator brackets just to be able to push the radiator a bit more foward; not needed tho.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Unless you are also taking off the midpipe to the cat, you dontt need to do that. Get an extension and a shallow 14mm socket, should be all you need. A swivel socket helps too but not needed.

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
Get an extension for the ratchet....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts