A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so iam total new to this site total new to modifying my vehicle but i have a few noob questions and was hoping you guys could help me. I just recently bought a 2004 spec v sentra and i now notice that it is burning a decent amount of oil. I was wondering what the option for remedying this problem are. From what i have read on the other posts on the site it seems i need to get a aftermarket head and get rid of the pre-cat. Iam assuming some damage has been done to the cylinder walls but iam not sure. Maybe Tuesday when i am off i will follow one of the walk throughts and check the butterfly screws. What does a rebuild consist of? About how much would it cost for this motor. Should i just bore it out and getting a little more displacement while iam at it. I suppose what would be the cheapest option that would leave room for more hp gains in the future. I am a cook and this time of year is real shitty on the pay check. Thanks for any help you can send my way

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I don't own a Spec but I know that for the precat problem you can gut it. There should be a guide on here that get into the details. Another option is to go for an aftermarket header, but I'd install resonators to quiet it down a lil. As for the butterfly screws, you can use red Loctite, you won't have to worry about them for a while. First things first, I'd look for damage to the motor before I look anywhere else. My 2 cents. Good luck with the car

·
39,082 Posts
Do a compression check. IF you get 160, you should be ok.
If not, then a rebuild or reman engine is in order.

Treadstone sells a rebuild kit so check them out.

Loctite your butterfly screws and get rid of the pre-cat asap. If you don't have money for an ebay header, gut the stock one.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Id look for any oil leaks first. Along with gutting or replacing your header. I had same issue. Mine slowly got worse and it was making alot of bad noises, so I rebuilt. Id also get a compression test done. My compression was way low.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just did the compression test starting from the left cylinder one was 150 2 was 140 3 was 145 and 4 was 130. Not Really sure if those number are good or bad whats you guys opinion. When i get it past 4k rmp it starts blowing smoking from under the hood and exhaust. although below 3k if i drive like grandma there is almost no smoke at all. any idea how much a rebuild would cost and what kinda headers do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
As far as headers go, I'd stay away from an eBay one. Obnoxiously loud, and the runners overlap inside, defeating the improved exhaust flow. 2JRacing's building up a new header, looks promising. Looks like a menacing bag of snakes.
As far as the rebuild, I wouldn't know, hopefully someone can chime in and help

·
Registered
190 Posts
*Header (there is only one)
just gut the stock one and wait for 2J to come out with theirs

·
Registered
190 Posts
sounds like a bad head-gasket to me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it is the head gasket. The oil was recently changed and although turned black way before it should have it does not have that milky color which normally means a head gasket. I wonder if maybe the piston rings and in shit shape but that doesnt explain the blueish smoke when i hit 4k or above that come from the engine bay. i will have to take a close look to see where the smoke is coming from maybe give me a better clue as to whats up with it. Is there any way other than tearing it apart to tell if it is the valves or the rings or if the cylinder walls and just F'ed

·
Registered
889 Posts
rebuild. :reporter::tumbleweed:

·
Registered
391 Posts
As far as headers go, I'd stay away from an eBay one. Obnoxiously loud, and the runners overlap inside, defeating the improved exhaust flow. 2JRacing's building up a new header, looks promising. Looks like a menacing bag of snakes.
As far as the rebuild, I wouldn't know, hopefully someone can chime in and help

I agree. The ebay headers are garbage. Im fairly sure most, if not all, of the headers on ebay come from the same Chinese crap making factory.

I used one in the past on a different engine and it did not take very long for hairline cracks to start forming. Not to mention the fitment issues I encountered upon install...

The stock one is certainly better all around if your on a budget, gutted of course. If not you want to go with a proven one.

Side bar: If for whatever reason you want the ebay one then you *MUST* brace it if you want it to last longer than a coupe weeks of daily driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Updated So it seems the precat has completely f'ed its self. It seems to have clogged itself i suppose from the oil i have been burning and now the car will barley run and takes up to 30 min to get started because the exhaust has no where to go. I have parked the car until the megan header i order gets here and i can install it. I hope this will get the car up and running. I imagine it will still burn oil and that the engine does need to be rebuild but unfortunately i dont have the money to do that now. So i will install the new header and drive like grandma until i can get the engine rebuild and finish the rest of the exhaust system. I am thinking of using the treadstone rebuild kit but if my cylinder walls are messed up will that kit resolve that problem? and i noticed it uses a 8.5:1 compression piston (correct me if i am wrong). With that kind of compression would i be able to turbo the car later or would i have to get new pistons? would rather take the head off as little as possible. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts