A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Good People,

After 247,000 miles of good service, my beloved Spec died an untimely death, and did so almost immediately following a nearly-complete overhaul. I have owned this car since new, and loved it more than words can tell. I’ll give you the rundown of the extensive work I did to the car first, along with some pictures of components, receipts, etc. I got to drive my newly refreshed Spec ~100 miles before a 17 year old kid hit my parked Spec in front of a family member’s house.

The original motor still ran until the day I pulled it in the garage to perform the heart transplant, but it devoured coolant and Mobil 1 at absurd rates owing to the leaking head gasket. The original clutch and flywheel seemed fine, but I decided to replace those while I was at it, along with the clutch master and slave cylinders.

I replaced the original QR25DE with a low mileage (yes I know....”low mileage”....the fact that the shop only claimed 20k-50k, not the tried-and-true, “30k” made me feel a little more confident in their claims) JDM QR25DE. I’m already anticipating the chorus of, “It’s probably a QR20.....” so I’ll post pictures of the motor as I got it, along with pictures of the receipt from the shop I got it from (good rep locally, research as you see fit....). Anyone purchasing the vehicle is of course welcome to verify the progeny of the new motor.....😁

Original Motor Out......

Original Clutch and Flywheel (note the condition of the original clutch after 247,000 miles....just in case anyone was wondering how gently it was driven)

New OEM Dualmass Flywheel, Clutch Disc, Pressure Plate, Throw-Out Bearing on New Motor

New motor with new bits mounted

I’ve got a shit load of pictures of this overhaul; but it looks like I’m nearing my picture limit for this post now. So let me detail the pertinent information about what I replaced while overhauling the car:

-JDM QR25DE
-OEM Dual-mass flywheel
-Nissan Clutch Kit (Note: Nissan Value Advantage-Parts Manager, who I’ve known for 20 years, says they haven’t had any quality/performance issues with these. They are also the only clutch kits Nissan still makes for these cars)
-New LUK clutch master and slave cylinders
-New clutch hydraulic line
-Nissan 75-85W manual transmission fluid
-New Nissan Axle Seals
-New RR wheel bearing hub assembly
-New brake pads and rotors (FRONT)
-New Nissan Seals/Gaskets
•Intake and Exhaust Manifold
•Thermostat Housings (Upper and Lower)
•Valve Cover
•A veritable shit-ton of o-rings throughout the motor
•New drain and fill plugs, washers
-Nissan OEM Shifter Cable Assembly
-New thermostats
-Wire-wheeled and repainted the cross member
-Nissan Front and Rear Motor Mounts (the two on the subframe fore and aft)
-RR Brake Caliper

I’m sure I’m missing a few things as I type this, but to be clear, ANYTHING that was broken or worn got replaced as I went through the car. A few more notes on less recent repairs, I replaced the front lower control arms two years ago (carparts.com specials on these, but they’re still tight and holding up after 20k), and the OEM struts that are on it are good (I pulled these from an ‘02 Spec I parted out a few years ago; one with ~120k on the odometer).

Last bit of pertinent info....After everything was back together, the car fired on my second attempt (first with starter fluid). I drove across town to show my friend who had helped me pull the original motor. I pulled in and left it idling as we checked for leaks-all good there. I headed back across town to the garage I worked on the car in, and developed a misfire about a half mile from there. Pulled in, popped the hood, and can see I’ve got a number 3 coil pack smoking. I disconnected it and pulled it out; it had started to melt. I’m freaking out, wondering what happened, when I realize the two 10mm bolts securing the ECM harness ground eyelets on the cam phaser/timing cover are installed but not tightened.

I replaced the coil pack on the No. 3 with a junkyard spare, tightened the grounds, and all was well. For six days that is. On the way to a family member’s house the car started misfiring again. I manage to get there, pop the hood, and find that now the No. 3 AND No. 2 coil packs are smoking. I replace them with some more coil packs from the yard, now it cranks but doesn’t start, AND smokes both of THESE coils in the failed attempt. At this point I’m realizing I need a new ECM and will likely need to replace all the power and ground wires on the ignition circuit in the engine loom. Grabbed an entire ‘06 Altima look from the yard, and had just found a non-Nats, ‘06 Spec ECM online when this happened:

She’s gone....Had two good friends in the auto body business give me estimates, both were between $5-$6k. Some notes on the condition of the car following this untimely and surreal death (a teenager hit this car so hard he knocked it 10ft.....on a sunny day, in a 25mph residential neighborhood, no other cars or obstacles in the road, “I guess I was looking at my phone”):

-All four doors open and close without incident and are undamaged
-All power accessories work as before
-Truck lid is perfectly intact and un-damaged
-The left rear wheel seems good (didn’t sustain any impact itself), but the rear axle beam is bent
-Likely the beam pickup points, as well as the left, rear wheel suspension pick-up points and components are toast

Other notable points about the car:
-Has a nice, crispy red interior I harvested from the ‘02 Spec V I parted out a few years back (door cards, seats, steering wheel with red stitching, split folding rear seat back)
-I still have the original QR25DE on a pallet for spares
-New Iridium spark plugs
-Still have the plastic intake manifold and throttle body that came on the JDM engine
-I have an AEM air intake tube (The half-y, not a WAI or CAI, it ends just behind the battery), as well as all of the original air box and tubing components
-One good set of SER floor mats in the car and one good spare set
-An extra “SENTRA” trunk floor mat in particularly crispy condition (the one in the car is good but reflects the 247k mileage)
-The transmission is in AWESOME shape. Let me give you some back story. When I got the car I noticed quickly that the car had a notchy 1-2 shift when cold. I bitched and moaned ceaselessly until Nissan replaced it at 5k. Y’all probably know what’s coming next....the new trans was better, but still a little balky when cold. Thereafter I started the car and warmed it up for at least 3 mins during summer season and 5 mins during cold months. Every...single....time. That’s likely why I got 247k out of a QR25DE (that and religious Mobile 1 changes every 3k...) and why the gearbox is as good as the day I got it. Have a look at that picture of the clutch that came off the old motor; I babied this car the whole time I owned it.

I’d like to sell the car as a whole to someone relatively local if possible. In the event I can’t find someone with the truck/trailer means to come get it, then I’ll consider parting it out myself. I simply can’t express how loved this car was. This was the first (and will likely be my only...) new car I ever owned and I fully intended to keep it for life. I’ve thought about finding another B15 (maybe a garage-kept, autotragic, granny-edition 1.8 GXE that rarely ventured out into the snow) and swapping everything over, but right now I’ve got other vehicles that are commanding my time and resources.

PM me for additional details, pictures, etc. I planned on putting more pictures in this post but realized I couldn’t. I’ve got $2,500 in receipts for the parts I put on this car over this past winter, and that’s with the notable discount I receive from Nissan. Clearly I’ll sell it as is for significantly less than I have in it over the past year alone, so this will be a nice find for someone with the means, venue, and mechanical aptitude to take advantage of purchasing it as a whole. Just to reiterate, someone would need to have the means to trailer the car from central KY in order to purchase it. If I can’t find someone interested in the whole, then I will re-list it as a part-out. Feel free to PM me with parts requests so that I have a chronological list of requests in the event I part it out (first to ask has dibs). I hope my Spec’s myriad new bits can go to a good home!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some receipts:

Not an exhaustive list by any means, but a few handy. The JDM motor shop is located just north of Cincinnati.

·
Premium Member
2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition
108 Posts
When I read the title, my brain made me think the 1 Owner of this Spec V Died by a Volkswagen Beetle…. 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Great job on the maintenance. The QR25 is a workhorse if taken care of properly. But im sorry to say it was never a JDM engine, and mostly likely you have a QR20de now, no matter what the engine seller told you. Would you believe a woman if she told you her age? Or how many bodies shes got 🤣. No. Sorry for yr loss and parting out might be beneficial since lots of parts are now discontinued.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Would you believe a woman if she told you her age? Or how many bodies shes got 🤣. No.
I can’t believe there was a time where I was so naive when it came to this…😆

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The QR25DE was made in Mexico for the North American markets, but was also standard in JDM Nissans. Whether the QR25DE’s that equipped JDM-model Nissan’s (during their assembly in Japan by the way...) originated from the engine factory in Mexico, or if said QR25DE’s came from a plant in Japan, I couldn’t tell you. Either way, pull a motor from a Nissan sold in Japan, equipped with a QR25DE, and what do you have? A JDM QR25DE. Granted, no better than a QR25DE that came standard in a USDM Altima or Sentra, but they where in fact placed in vehicles that were sold to Japanese customers, in the Japanese market. Hence JDM. Have a look at the QR Wikipedia page. Behold professor:

You’ll find the QR Wikipedia page here:

Here’s the rundown of each of the Nissan models that were sold in the Japanese domestic market equipped with (as either standard or optional equipment...) the very same QR25DE’s found in very own our North American market b15 Sentras (my bad....not your b15 Sentra’s guys...), 3rd Gen Altimas ,etc. Without further adieu........

Nissan Bassara (JU30) (1999-2003)

-Produced from 1999-2003 (Nissan Shatai) in Hiratsuka, Kanagawa Japan.
-The QR25DE replaced the KA24DE for the 2002-2003 model years as the standard gas engine offering.

2nd Gen Nissan Serena (2001-2005)

-Produced from 1999-2005 at the Opamma Plant in Yokosuka, Kanagawa Japan.
-Nissan offered Serena’s in the JDM equipped with the either the QR20DE or the QR25DE from the 2002 model year on.

1st Gen Nissan X Trail (2000-2007)

-Produced October 2000-2007 (Nissan Shatai) in Kanda, Fukuoka Japan.
-The QR25DE was the largest gas engine offered in Xtrail’s, which were also offered in QR20DE and SR20VET trim (sounds like a magically delicious swap for any and all of the b13-b15 Sentra SR20 aficionados out there....) in Japan.

1st Gen Nissan Presage (U30) (1998-2003)

-The Presage was produced from 1998-2009 (Nissan Shatai) in Hiratsuka, Fukuoka Japan.
-The QR25DE replaced both the YD25DDT and the KA24DE when both of those motors were discontinued in August of 2001.
-For the 2002 and 2003 model years, the QR25DE was standard equipment on Presages sold in Japan, with the VQ30DE (V6) being offered as an available engine option.

2nd Gen Nissan Presage (U31) (2003-2009)

-As mentioned above, these were produced in Hiratsuka, Kanagawa Japan.
-For this 2nd Gen model, the QR25DE was standard equipment for the Japanese domestic market, with the VQ35DE being the only other engine option available for this vehicle in Japan.

1st Gen Nissan Murano (Z50)

-Produced from May 2002 until October 2007 (Nissan Shatai) in Kanada, Fukuoka Japan.
-Initial vehicle production was dedicated to North American sales
-The Murano was introduced to the Japanese domestic market in September 2004.
-The Murano was offered in Japan equipped with either a QR25DE or a VQ35DE.

Funny thing, far from there being no such thing as a JDM QR25DE, it would seem that there are SEVERAL Nissan models that were sold in the Japanese domestic market equipped with 1st Gen QR25DE’s. Hell, in Japan Nissan was selling QR25DE-equipped versions of models we only saw with 6 cylinders here in North America (Murano). Huh....

Now riddle me this boys.....What US QR25DE came with this plastic intake manifold and throttle body?

1621961404484.jpeg

The answer? There aren’t any. 2005-2006 Frontiers were sold with QR25DE’s in North America, and they DO have plastic intake manifolds, but they ARE NOT shaped like the one above. In the Frontier, QR25DE’s are mounted longitudinally, and consequently the intake manifold is shaped differently. Specifically, like this:

Now, I’m sure you wizened veterans of the 1.8 liter, Hertz-spec GXE’s have much to teach me about the near-adequacy of rear drum brakes. You can smugly point to the fact that your own respective vehicles can accomplish, with a mere 4 gears, the task that us lowly Spec V folk have required 6 gears to perform for all these years.....Just think how much faster you’ll range through your 4 gears than 6, and how much quicker you’ll be on each of those shifts without the time-sapping task of depressing a clutch pedal.....Smart. Very smart.

I’m sure you have both have much knowledge to share from your time exploring the titillating limits of b15 Sentra’s with rental car-spec drivelines....A first hand testimonial of how putting larger diameter rims on your slow car made it even slower, perhaps? Maybe you could recount that one time you caught a half-drunk fellow b15 driver napping off the line in a street race, and how, for nearly 3 whole seconds, you weren’t looking at those SER badges on his ass as he pulled away from you?

I suppose rocking the 1.8L Sloth Edition Sentra would leave a man short on thrills in his life. No doubt some Nancy Drew-esque detective work on the mysterious provenance of other peoples larger motors may replenish the sense of excitement lost in the daily tedium of piloting an econobox around town. But hey Nancy, next time deign to perform that monumental task of using your Google before you start typing out of your posterior.

I find it more than a little amusing that a man happily rocking a 1.8 Sentra would take the time to randomly troll someone selling his Spec V. Nothing says loving more than a man professing expertise on a motor his car isn’t equipped with. The biggest irony is this-if ANYONE in the world needs a Spec V driveline in THEIR ride.....then it is most certainly you two. Something tells me that if you boys were rocking some Fox-body Mustangs, they would both be of the 4 cylinder and auto tragic variety, and that you would spend your time on Fox-body forums as the dynamic duo, dedicated to trolling anyone with the effrontery to own models with 3 pedals and 8 cylinders. And why not? All the extra time you have on your hands slothing between destinations leaves you ample opportunity to plot your next faux knowledge drop online. On subject matter with which you have no experience and (clearly...) no expertise. No bigger expert on the Ford 302 than the keyboard jockey who drives the 100 hp, 2.3l four banger every day, eh? Same lesson applies here.

Next time you think it wise to attempt to add insult to a strangers injury, you might consider whether or not you have any inkling about the subject matter you’re using for the attack. Clearly Richardw72, being a devoted 1.8L kinda guy, you weren’t interested in a QR25DE anyway. So I imagine you took the time to share your completely incorrect, “There’s no such thing as a JDM QR25DE, they didn’t sell them there...” statement purely in the sprit of gratuitous, petty trolling. Now I can say, unequivocally, that I wouldn’t go breaking a man’s balls about an engine that I didn’t want in any event. But if I somehow morphed into such a pitiable creature....and suddenly found myself just itching to embarrass a stranger, by insinuating that he’s so dense that he bought a JDM motor that was never sold in Japan.....I’d make damn sure I didn’t embarrass myself illustrating my own ignorance of the underlying subject matter.

As for you iichb, I think your breathless rush to pile on here confirms what most people with two eyes would suspect of you just looking at your car. Damn brrruuuhhh, I can’t believe how naive you are.....You believe your girlfriend (perhaps I’m assuming too much here....) when she tells you she isn’t embarrassed to ride in that thing? I’d give you hell in pointing out that a metric fuck-ton of stickers won’t encourage the world to take your rental car-spec GXE more seriously, but I imagine you’re too busy defending dub step as a serious musical form to take heed.....

WAIT JUST A SECOND.....I GET IT NOW! My mistake. You’re no mere all-show-and-no-go-kinda cat! Shit no, not you! In addition to the oodles of klass you project with that mid-2000’s, Candy Kid exterior aesthetic, you have clearly established your proper performance bona fides in dropping dough on high-end suspension parts for your GXE. You ARE serious about performance, it’s just that HANDLING is your bag, so you’re putting your chips down on those high-end suspension components. Your machine will remain slow as FUK, but GOOD LORD....SHE’S A WICKED HANDLER NOW.....Well, at least in as much as any front wheel drive car with a solid-beam axle rear suspension can be. Yours isn’t exactly a flawless plan, or even a particularly good one, nor is it a sensible or wise allocation of resources.....BUT DAMN.....you sure do have a whole lot of stickers man.....

Moral of the story.....for the love of God, don’t go trolling and acting gratuitously unkind for absolutely no good reason people. But if you do indeed feel the need to be that guy, and common decency and good manners won’t dissuade you from letting your inner-pettiness flow freely, then both of you should pause and do yourselves a favor- take the time to make damn sure you aren’t condescending to someone who knows better than you. That’s just embarrassing. Maybe not quite as embarrassing as the volume of stickers on that white rental car, but beaucoup embarrassing nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I love the rant. Pretty good stuff in there.

I honestly think anything QR25DE marketed as JDM is a travesty. It's not that the factual evidence you posted is invalid, cause frankly its not. Its the common misconception that a "JDM motor will give you more power (Honda's fault)" and that if you put JDM in front of anything Japanese and vehicle related, means it is far superior to our USDM counterpart. Per your argument, all QR25DE engines could come from Japan (sent to Mexico) and thus the only way the term JDM applies is that it actually came off a vehicle in Japan (That 30k mile tho). The only other issue, again through no fault of yours is that ALOT of branded "JDM QR25DE" engines have been QR20DE motors. So the tale of buyer beware is plausible. The only true way to determine what ya got there is to do the pull a spark plug and measure test which is totally your prerogative. I personally, would stay away from that motor due to that plastic manifold that screams QR20 to me, but if I was poking around for a new motor and someone did the measure test, I'd be happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absolutely right. The stroke is the determining factor, and really the only way to definitively know. If I’m buying a QR25DE from anyone who initially purchased the motor at a JDM shop, I’m checking the stroke. I’m also checking compression while I’m at it. Anyone interested in the motor is welcome to check both before long buying it. I know I would were the shoe on the other foot, and I certainly wouldn’t have any problem with anyone exercising the same caution. To your point, I agree wholeheartedly that there isn’t anything inherently superior about a QR25DE coming from Japan as opposed to one coming from Kansas. The power numbers for QR25DE’s sold in JDM are actually slightly lower, although that shouldn’t surprise anyone given the single, long runner intake manifold design of many they put in minivans. Also remember that USDM Altima’s are rated lower than Spec’s; the difference there is solely due to the intake manifold design (dual runners) and the way ECM is tuned to control the cam-phaser/timing on the intake side (which why Nissan calls for 91+ octane in Spec V’s).

The lure of “low mileage” is the only potential advantage for buying a QR25DE from a JDM shop, and this was completely and entirely my own rationale for buying the one I did. I cased all three yards located within a hundred miles of me for a good two months looking for an Altima or Sentra QR25DE. I must have physically inspected 150+ Altima’s, as well as 3 Spec V’s (all road hard and put away SKUNKED.....if ever there was a car that seemed to inspire mechanical cruelty on the part of some of its owners.....DAMN), looking for a car that appeared healthy and cared for before being wrecked, and I have to say my estimation of the QR dropped even further after that experience. You’ve never seen a higher ratio of unscratched to wrecked car models. Damn near every Altima I encountered was clearly there not on account of a wreck, but rather for some unknown mechanical malady. No doubt some may have been there for a transmission someone elected not to fix, or some other problem unrelated to the motor, but given these motors penchant for oil consumption......you see where I’m going with this. It could be that some of them were fine, that their owners merely donated their running cars and that charities just scrapped them. But that wasn’t a scenario I would have bet on with any that I saw. Hence the JDM shop, which I chose because they were the only place that I found selling QR25DE’s with “low miles” and a warranty.

The low mileage claims that JDM importers make are, of course, completely unverifiable. I know when I changed the valve cover gasket I was impressed with how clean the valve train and cams were, but that of course isn’t definitive. I can only say that it ran smoothly, popped no SES light in the scant time I had to enjoy it, and the car pulled better than it had at any point over the previous year with the original motor. I wasn’t hammering on it yet, as I was trying to properly break-in the new clutch/flywheel, but you better believe I made a few pulls in the name of scientific shakedown after I was satisfied that everything was properly back together and in good order. I was happy with it, and believe me, I went through all manner of trepidation getting myself mentally prepared for possible shite outcomes before I fired it initially. I read every thread on this forum in the run-up to buying a motor from a JDM shop, as well as every other resource I could find. I talked with the handful of folks I know who have who have bought from them (all the Honda cats reported good experiences with the motors themselves but rolled their eyes at the prices, another gave up on rotaries after receiving a 13B in running but dubious shape). I wasn’t stepping into any part of it unaware of reported QR20DE rip-offs, or of more general reports of people getting “low mileage” motors with bad head gaskets, burned valves, or assorted other maladies. That’s why I was so taken aback by those cat’s above posting that nonsense; hell, anyone diving through the series of threads on this forum alone would discover that there were in fact a veritable shit ton of QR25DE-equipped models in Japan. But it would seem, as I had learned long ago in the early 2k’s on the early Nissan forums but had forgotten, that anytime you gather a bunch of people together in the digital ether, you will inevitably encounter an equal mix of cool, knowledgeable people who want to help one another, and loud-mouthed ignoramuses with little mechanical aptitude and crusty examples of their respective cars.

I suppose the bad does serve the purpose of highlighting the good, but damn. It’s a pity that the dudes who haunt forums looking to rabble-rouse, to offer commentary on things they lack either experience and expertise with, are quickly becoming the death of the forums themselves. YouTube is handy as all hell, but it’s no replacement for the breadth and depth of knowledge that you would routinely find in forums not that long ago. I can’t tell you how much I learned from some of the gray beards on Altimas.net and maximas.org 20 years ago, when I first started wrenching on cars in earnest. My Spec was such a great car, for so long, that I didn’t even look at a forum for Sentra’s until a few years ago. There are plenty of good folk here in this community, my limited experiences leave me no doubt about that (recent encounters notwithstanding), but I am struck at how much quieter they are these days. I hope they don’t go the way of the dinosaur; we need more enthusiasm for cars these days, not less.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I agree 100%.

The forums are slowly making a comeback, as everything in FB land gets so lost so fast, and here well, the knowledge is always there. It is a tough one, cause alot of newbs don't know how to research and ask questions to which the answer is already there, but at the same time, people do come on here to speak with like minded individuals, and it can be jarring when a mod or experienced member tells them to fuck off and search. I do hope the forums stick around tho.

Good luck on the sale, That accident really really sucks. :(

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Soo funny for you to think the SER IS A JDM engine. You sound real fucking stupid, thats like saying a your well, my SER is JDM. And 1.8? Lmao bruh ive put so much money into my spec your piece of shit looks nothing like mine your piece of shit looks so fucking stock, its laughable you think you are anywhere near my level bruh. Enjoy wherever piece of small town you come from Chief, because obviously there is absolutely nothing JDM TO A SE-R 😂😂😂😂😂😂 whats even more laughable the amount of response and trigger, with poor emotional regulation you have😂😂😂, bruh who the fuck comes on here to spam records, of every purchase and records . No one cares, no one will buy ur piece of broke shit BDSO . Its done, go on and buy an Elantra or whatever ur Najavo do

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
First off, as a Native American, lets keep race out of this. There is no need for that.

Secondly, I absolutely enjoyed the fine level of detail this guy put into his maintaining HIS vehicle. I wish more people go to this level of repair. I admit I used the cheapest art sometimes, but as of late, I've been hunting rare seals and door tape and can appreciate new/old oem stock.

Lastly, he never said SER is JDM, he stated that there are jdm 2.5L (qr25de) motors, and not all are qr20de's. That's all he stated, and then listed factual information to back up said claim.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts

Reactions: Sus Spec

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many thanks to Revhead Kev for positively identifying the intake manifold that came on my suddenly very-contentious QR25DE! Were it not for our Aussie brethren not a one of us would have any inkling how to pronounce “Nissan” correctly (although in typically US fashion, I bet every American on this forum still pronounces it “Nee-San, myself included...😁). And I dare say that, collectively, we would have never placed my giraffe plastic manifold definitively without your ID. So thank you homie! Hats off to you and all the Nissan aficionados from down under, and to all that Aussie car culture has done for enthusiasts the world over. Here you’ve definitely lifted the stubborn veil of ignorance from some Yanks’ eyes on this particular topic.

Speaking of ignorance....It should go without saying that nothing reveals a person’s moral fiber more quickly than bigotry. Frustrating as it is to deal with your evident dumbfuckery, iichb, the mental midgetry that underlies it isn’t on you. Being born dumb was nature’s curse, not an elective choice your made. The same can’t be said of bigotry or racism, however, because that kind of reprehensible shit is purely elective. You weren’t afforded the opportunity to choose the caliber of your mind, but you sure as hell have free reign to determine the content of your own character, starting with what kind of vibes you’re sending out into the world. Racism is prima fascia evidence of limited emotional and intellectual intelligence as far as I’m concerned, but that doesn’t mean everyone who is stupid need be a racist. In this instance, I’m just hoping that your bullshit outburst about Navajo’s had more to do with your frustrated attempt to find ballast for your own strained arguments, rather than any real antipathy towards any racial groups or cultural heritage. Either way you’re quite clearly an asshole.

Concerning the rest of the assorted weirdness I’m hearing from iicbh above......

I notice you’re not addressing any of what I stated about the QR25DE being sold in a slew of models in Japan. Seems like, having positively identified yourself as equal parts loud and ignorant, you want to change the topic to some sort of debate on the relative “JDM-ness” of the QR25DE? Sorry homie, I was perfectly clear about having no idea where the QR25DE itself was originally produced; I simply stated that there were a number of cars sold on the Japanese market with this motor. Truthfully, I don’t care whether the JDM shop imported my motor from Japan, New Zealand, Australia, or Singapore, nor did I care when I bought it. My sole concerns where that it had good compression, no bottom end or valve train noise, and that it was the proper (1st Gen...) QR25DE variant.

My best friend bought a what was supposed to be a plain FWD “JDM” SR20DE in the early 2000’s for his B13 four door swap and wound up with a high compression version of the motor that was only available in early 90’s-era Primera’s sold OUTSIDE of the Japanese domestic market. I believe it was in England that Primera’s were sold with this particular motor, but possibly might have been sold in Australia and/or New Zealand as well, given the RHD configuration. Maybe Revhead Kev might know-it’s a FWD SR20DE variant, doesn’t have the VVT head, I believe it’s a high port early ‘90’s motor,10:1 or 10.5:1 compression ratio instead of 9.5:1? In any event, his car idled like shit and stumbled on acceleration below 2,000rpm for years because he was using a ‘94 USDM SER ECU and 87 octane fuel with that motor, unaware that neither were well-suited that SR20 variant. I remembered his experience vividly and did plenty of research to make sure I wasn’t setting myself up for a similar experience. That’s how I knew before I bought one that, provided I got a 1st Gen QR25DE (and not a QR20DE or a QR25DD), it didn’t make a damn bit of difference where it can from. I never properly understood what MCM were riffing on when they’d bemoan the multitudes of knobs on the internet shrieking about “JDM-ness”, but I think I’ve now experienced that first hand, in full-frontal caricature. Credit where credit’s due, at least you got that one spot-on iicbh.

Concerning the rest of the charges you’re leveling, or at least that I think you’re leveling in that syntactically-challenged bit of word salad, I’ll just say the following:

-I’ve got all the paper copies of the receipts I’ve shown in pictures, and those will go with the car if I sell it whole, or with their respective components if I part it out. If someone from the forum comes to grab the car or buys one of said components, then you can personally ask them about the provenance of my receipts Inspector Doucherot. I’m sure any person of conscience would be eager to assist you in your enlightened quest for truth and justice. Your self-evident unquenchable thirst for knowledge being such an inspiration to us all, I’m sure the world awaits with baited-breath the opportunity to assist you in a thorough and comprehensive review of the documents....So I’m going to take your semi-literate thumbspeak as some sort of Columbo-esque subterfuge designed to keep your brilliance veiled until such time as you can put a proper Scooby Doo ending on me. Unfortunately for you, Brave Sir Rice-nificient, I am every bit as honest as I am verbose, so you needn’t keep up the idiot charade on my account.

-I hate to disappoint you further, dearest iicbh, but alas, I must inform you that I did not purchase the Elantra of my dreams. Despite my deep fondness for all things Jafromobile, I instead bought the black ‘91 SW20 turbo manual, slick-top I’ve been trying to get my friend to sell me for the last five years. Aside from the driver’s-side fender, the car is an all numbers-matching original, my friend is only the second owner, and he has alternately kept it in his garage and his fathers garage for the last 20 years. He let me spend six hours going over the car with it up on stands, and it is straight as an arrow and rust-free.You may or may not dig them (and I don’t care either way), but a 2nd Gen MR2 turbo has been my obtainable dream car for two decades now. Short of getting a super-low mileage California car off of Bring A Trailer for $30k, this is literally the nicest example I could have gotten my hands on in this part of the country, and I just picked it up for about what I spent in parts refurbishing my Spec last winter. It is literally the ONLY car that could make my losing my beloved Spec a net-positive situation. So.....sorry to disappoint you here as well Col. Stinkmeaner. 😁

-As you pointed out.....yes my Spec is stock at present, but it wasn’t always so. My Integra certainly isn’t. I too have experience spending some dough making my car handle, but in my instance it’s devoted to a platform with double wishbone, 4 wheel independent suspension. You want to conjecture a guess as to how much cheaper nice suspension bits are for DC’s than B15’s? Compare any brand, any model of suspension components available for both the B15 and DC2 platforms.....Guess what? You’ll get infinitely more bang for your buck modding an Integra, and keep in mind that those cars are in ANY conversation of the best handling FWD platforms EVER. And that’s STOCK. I won’t claim kinship with the broader Honda street car culture, but I won’t lie and say I hate the lower prices and larger selection that the larger Honda community affords you when you go to buy aftermarket parts.

I’ll grant you that my Spec is bone stock at present, but not long ago I did have 2J lowering springs and a 4-2-1 header/2.5” exhaust. From my perspective the I/E only served to make the car louder and to shift the powerband upward, without gaining you anything but decibels and vibration. The 2J springs were a solid addition, in that they sharpened up initial turn-in, but it sure made that ass want to hop sideways even more on mid-corner bumps than it had previously stock form. Don’t want to retread the same ground with you on the sub-optimal rear suspension design of these cars, or the dubious value proposition that the few aftermarket performance parts you can get for these cars often represent, but I can tell you this much straight-up.....after buying it new and spending 15 years and 250k with my Spec, and owning my Integra for only 3 years and driving it a little over 20k this far, there isn’t any question about which of the two cars has vastly better handling dynamics. Money on suspension mods can only ameliorate, not fix, the relative limitations of the B15’s suspension design.

Truth be told, that is my biggest complaint about my Spec. They are GREAT cars out of the box, and while they can certainly be made even better through modifications, the money you have to lay down to produce even modest enhancements is pretty shocking to me. That said, they start off great, and there’s no denying that low end torque and short gear ratios feel magically delicious. Hats off to any amiable person who has the passion, and is willing to commit the necessary resources, required to really make these cars better in spite of the limited aftermarket support.

All right good people, my penchant for verbosity has me waxing lengthy as is, so I’ll take my leave on that note. If anyone does have interest in taking the Spec as a whole, or just wants to get first dibs on something as this slides towards a possible part-out, just PM me. Right now I’ve got takers for the factory cat-back exhaust and the red interior should it come to a part out, everything else is still in play.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The SR20DE was a standard fit to our 1991-1995 N14 Nissan Pulsar in the SSS version and an option in the Q and Ti versions. I think they were also in the next N15 model as well.
It had 10:1 compression, developed 108kW and 179Nm.
It was also fitted to the 180SX and Silvia from 1991 - 2000 odd which are cars of choice amongst some of the post-turbo performance enthusiasts over here.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
There is nothing JDM about the ser spec v. It was made for the U.S market. Sure maaaybe the qr25 is Japanese, but would you call the Altima SER ,JDM? No. I rest my case. And as far as race? Nothing was said to imply race, maybe some implicit bias, by calling him/they chief or "native" its not like i called him a ******* unless he or him/they/them her take offense, Id like to know that I hurt his feelings, so i may understand his delicate ambivance and ill apologize.I can clearly understand his frustration tho, his Spec was his GTR to him, and his JDM engine is now a paperweight, because well it is, it has zero value, its not like he has nismo lips, projectors, led tails, nismo intake, header, exhaust he can part out? Maybe, just maybe he can salvage it, its only $2k and he be proud of that JDM engine, in fact it seems that that engine is his only protective factor. Good job mate, you have a mighty fine JDM engine. So sorry ur spec is done. Maybe you can find another spec and do another JDM engine swap later chief

1 - 20 of 25 Posts