A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 nissan Sentra has a hard time starting and once started it idles fine in park and neutral but as soon as shifted into gear my rpms drop down to 200 or so then sputters out and dies. Not sure what could be causing this. Any suggestions?

·
6,603 Posts
Is this an automatic? It might be a problem with the torque converter lockup. Can you drive the car and it will drive normally? If you just put it on drive and give it some gas? Does it stall if you come to a stop? If so, that's your converter lock up not releasing. Might need to bring it to a mechanic if you don't know what to look for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this an automatic? It might be a problem with the torque converter lockup. Can you drive the car and it will drive normally? If you just put it on drive and give it some gas? Does it stall if you come to a stop? If so, that's your converter lock up not releasing. Might need to bring it to a mechanic if you don't know what to look for.
It's an automatic and if it's in drive or reverse no matter how much gas I give it it still won't go past a couple mph

·
6,603 Posts
Try pulling codes. The SES light might not be on, but you might have codes on the TCM, if your reader can read those.

If you have codes, post them up just so we can hone in where the problem might be. Does the engine rev freely even when you have it on D or R? Or does it only rev freely on P and N? It's possible that the trans is stuck on P. It could be a shift solenoid or something internal. When was it last serviced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed my fuel pump and got it to drive now I just have trouble getting it to start

·
6,603 Posts
Trouble getting it to start? What do you mean? Does it have a long crank before it starts? If so, that is a common problem with the fuel pressure regulator check valve on most oem canisters, but you said you just replaced the pump that may not be your issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts