A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

New member here. Couple questions for you guys. So I bought a one owner silver 2006 Spec back in 2013 and got lucky as it was one of the 2006 spec V's which had still been sitting on the lot and I assume Nissan pulled it during this time and replaced the engine before they sold it to the guy I bought it from. I know the engine was replaced because I got the paper that is stuck on the window talking about mpg's and all of that when you buy the car new and it described having the engine replaced by Nissan prior being sold. Thankfully, assuming because of this I've had very few issue with the car no pre-cat, butterfly screw or oil consumption problems. I did install a header as soon as I got the car though.
  • What exactly did this engine replacement by Nissan before being sold as new on my car entail? Was it an entire complete engine replacement, portions of it? Maybe one of you guys has more info on this.
  • I am looking at another 2006 Spec which I found. Looking at the carfax report for this other car I can kind of tell the engine was not replaced on this one before being sold as new while sitting on the dealer lot based on it being bought much earlier in 2006 and because I see they did some of the recall work after they guy had the car instead. The car fax report shows "Vehicle serviced- Engine/powertrain computer/module"reprogrammed-Oil and filter changed" on 08/07/2007 and "Engine idle/timing adjusted-Engine/powertrain computer/module checked" on 01/10/2008. From what I have read this was done to cars as a remedy or engine recall work for the 2006 spec v once the owner already had the car? How would this work affect or benefit the car as far as avoiding the pre-cat, butterfly screw and over oil consumption issue? And is it as good or anywhere near as good of a remedy as having the engine completely replaced like car I am driving now (highly doubt it)? Finally, having this work done do you guys think this this car is at much less risk at having an engine that is no good burns tons of oil? Car has 87 thousand miles on it. Would really like and appreciate you guys input. Sorry for the long post!

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
I'm going to have to reread that later but you should be able to give the dealer the vin and they might have better details on the notes if they made any annotations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to have to reread that later but you should be able to give the dealer the vin and they might have better details on the notes if they made any annotations.
Thanks for the reply. I actually called a couple dealers with VIN and they said they could not find any info on past recall work that had been done. One guy at the actual dealer the ECU reprogram was done at said it was kind of weird since he can usually see other work that has been done in the past and at other dealers. Also called called a 1800 Nissan number and the guy did not want to give me any info on past recall work due to privacy or some other crap. Maybe will try again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the timing cover there is usually a sticker certifying its a Nissan reman engine. its black and square with silverish letter.
Thanks. Pretty sure I've seen the sticker. Also just did some more reading and read Nissan replaces everything except the block and head castings on their remanufactured engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts