A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2013 Sentra SL and have been experiencing a very highly annoying issue for the past 6 months. I have taken the car to the dealership 5 times, a friend who is a mechanic, and another local shop to have it inspected, but literally no one can tell me what is wrong. I paid $2,300 to have the control arms, sway bar links, tie rod ends, and new strut assembly's installed, and the issue is still there! I take excellent care of my vehicle, and take a-lot of pride in it even though it is 8 years old. Plus it only has 105k miles on it.

The issues I am having is when I go over bumps, I hear a popping/clunking noise coming from the drivers side wheel, and a rattling coming from under the middle front of the vehicle under my feet when one wheel is lifted, and the other is flat ( Going over a speed bump and keeping the left wheel in the center flat part and the right wheel over the bump). It is a very loud rattle like metal on metal and sounds like something is loose just clunking under there when going over bumps. I had everyone check out the entire suspension and they all state nothing is loose, and since I had practically everything replaced, almost everything in there is brand new.

If I drive really slow, and turn the steering wheel left and right really fast, you can hear a very loud clunking/rattle coming from the same part of the drivers wheel. I am at a loss for words and have no clue what it could be. My last guess would be the sway bar bushings, or maybe something to do with the brakes?? The caliper? It literally only makes the sound when under pressure, so you cant even hear it when you jack the car up and try and turn the wheel really fast to see what's loose. I am so frustrated and plan on driving my car for a long time. It is in great shape other than this annoying issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id say look at your axels and CV joints. Your ball joints could be worn too.
That's what I was thinking too but every person has supposedly inspected them and nothing looks bad. I just dont want to keep throwing money at it and not get it fixed. It's a nice car, but not worth throwing thousands into.
I am getting a vibration/rubbing coming from the front wheel and a pop coming from the wheel every time I go over a bump. Would a bad CV joint cause that? It seems like something is just loose and rattling around going over bumps. I know something is wrong but everyone swears there isnt lol

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Hub bearings is the only thing other than the axles and needs to be with no load on the wheels to check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hub bearings is the only thing other than the axles and needs to be with no load on the wheels to check.
Yea I’m thinking it’s the CV axle or hub. Just didn’t know the CV axle would clunk and pop over bumps if it was bad.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cant trust some of these "technicians". Always ask for the inspection and note sheets or they might just be poking a light at it and a scan tool lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cant trust some of these "technicians". Always ask for the inspection and note sheets or they might just be poking a light at it and a scan tool lol
Lol this is true..I’m going to put it up and take a look at it myself. Should I be looking for something loose in the CV Axle? Never really messed around with one of those before.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Outer CV problems are usually found by turning tight corners at low speed and hearing continuous clunks as the wheel rotates or steering wobble at moderate speeds.
Inner CV joint problems can be found by listening to clunking noises when sharply accelerating or decelerating but make sure you don't have the clunking noise when turning sharp corners at low speed first to know it is not an outer CV joint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Outer CV problems are usually found by turning tight corners at low speed and hearing continuous clunks as the wheel rotates or steering wobble at moderate speeds.
Inner CV joint problems can be found by listening to clunking noises when sharply accelerating or decelerating but make sure you don't have the clunking noise when turning sharp corners at low speed first to know it is not an outer CV joint.
I’m not experiencing either of those symptoms. I get the clunking when turning and going over dips or bumps in the road. Especially when going over speed bumps at an angle. I get a bad clunking then. I just get the rubbing/vibration under my feet and through my gas pedal. I have the car lifted right now and don’t feel anything loose. I am turning the outer CV axle and it has play and sort of a clicking noise when turning it. Is that normal? It goes through the hub obviously too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts