A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I recently bought a 2016 nissan sentra S and have been having trouble getting the car to pass smog as the EGR is not ready. Ive driven hundreds of miles with no luck and I cant seem to find an EGR on this car. I was wondering if anyone has any insight or is able to show me where the EGR is on the 2016 nissan sentra so that I can try cleaning it out. Thank you in advance for any help!

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
You shouldn't have an EGR, give us the code and we can go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car actually has no check engine light on, all the monitors are complete and ready for smog besides the EGR so I assumed it did have one. I’m not sure if it’s an electrical issue or if there is something else I can clean out/replace that would help get the EGR monitor ready.

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
It won't as there is no EGR, you can't ready something that's not there and if the tester fails you for that then there are other issues. If you are not throwing a code, even a soft code, then there is no issue as an improperly working EGR would throw a code.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Yes one monitor for every state EXCEPT California. The fact that its not ready is a mystery. EGR is continuously not ready?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the insight. I thought I was crazy when I couldn't find the EGR but its relieving to hear that it doesn't have one. I'm really unsure of where to go from here, maybe its an electrical issue or maybe there's a backstory with the car that im not sure of because I had bought the car off craigslist a year prior and haven't had to smog it until now. If anyone has had a previous issue in the past or can give me any suggestions on where to go from here that would be of great help. Yes i am in California and the only monitor that can be not ready is the EVAP montior system, EGR must be ready in california. Heres a picture of the smog readiness that my scanner is showing, ive used two different scanners and they both show that the EGR isnt ready. The car also only has 25k miles so im really unsure of where to go from here.

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
I don't understand how it says it's not ready if it doesn't have one... I'm familiar with the MR motors as there was one in my wife's versa... weird.

·
Registered
399 Posts
From a bit of googling, there seems to be problems with the EGR Not Ready if you have a high flow cat or antifouler installed on the 2nd O2 sensor. Is this your case ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you for the insight Kev, I have personally not done any modifications to the car and have just done routine maintenance, but the previous owner may have done one of those so I will do some further investigating and see if there is anything off with those. thanks again! If you dont mind, would you be send me where you had found that information? ive done a good deal of googling but can not find anything inregards to the EGR with this generation sentra.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It wasn't a Sentra but could still be something to check because it would be similar.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
That's weird that it doesn't have EGR marked as unavailable. IIRC the engine will adjust the camshafts valve overlap to leave a bit of exhaust gas in the combustion chamber instead of using a physical EGR valve. Then again I have never checked readiness monitors on that gen sentra before. Typically EGR would most in use at or just off idle. Maybe let the car get to operating temp and let idle for 20-30 min with no loads i.e. radio, hvac, defroster, heated seats, ect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's weird that it doesn't have EGR marked as unavailable. IIRC the engine will adjust the camshafts valve overlap to leave a bit of exhaust gas in the combustion chamber instead of using a physical EGR valve. Then again I have never checked readiness monitors on that gen sentra before. Typically EGR would most in use at or just off idle. Maybe let the car get to operating temp and let idle for 20-30 min with no loads i.e. radio, hvac, defroster, heated seats, ect.
Just tried that after reading your comment with no luck. I was hoping that having no load and it being much colder right now than the past several weeks in California may have helped but the EGR is still showing as incomplete. Thanks for the input though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts