A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again. Suggestions on making this car, mainly engine, last a couple more months. I get the timing clatter on morning startup then not again that day. 5w40 was suggested I saw. Once I get this one through a couple months, I'm getting a newer better car and keeping this one for my project car. Unless someone is selling a b15, decent miles, and better shape than mine. Have not searched yet. Never have luck searching here. Sorry if this has a thread I did not find.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem is, into i get another vehicle, I can't do that work between 6:30ish in the evening and 5 a.m. next morning😒 is it hard to do?

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
No, should take less than an hour.

At some point you need to check valve lash/clearanceand that takes some time.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So since this is "general", I'll ask here. I've searched all over here and on the interweb. When I'm up to around 40ish then let off the gas and coast, I get what sounds like an electric motor whine. Most people can't hear it but i hear it everytime. Sounds like making the letter z sound and holding it out. I've gotten varying answers on this. Is this something you know about?

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
Probably the tranny during engine braking

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Bruh 206k on the QR engine is a milestone. You should be proud its gone this long and far.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Im almost at 160k and Ive beat on it for the last 70k. Still no knock of any kind.

Just get the oem phaser and take ur time with the timing. 5w40 will help but wont fix the bleeding out of the cam phaser on startup.

Reactions: Richardw72

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
206,645 currently. I thought my right front caliper was sticking because of the noise I was hearing and being busy i couldn't take a quick look. When I finally got to it, it was scraping on the backing plate. So I put the old caliper back on with new pads and rotor. Original Nissan stamped caliper. 19 year old 206,645 miles Original caliper. The struts are Original too. Keep in mind, I've only owned this car for 2 years roughly, paid $800, was supposed to be my work car(24 miles round trip daily for work) but instead, I'm addicted to this car and I want to get another car so I can fix this one up!! OR, for another, better shape b15 to work on. A LOT of Original parts on this car! That says a lot for Nissan!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more thing, they do make an oil pan gasket even though it is silicone from factory. Would anyone recommend a gasket or just stick with silicone? While I was checking out my brakes, I noticed I have a significant gap between my oil pan and block. I'm most likely gonna get a new pan with permatex black. Not sure if you can tell by either of these pics but I consider that BAD😬

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
206,645 currently. I thought my right front caliper was sticking because of the noise I was hearing and being busy i couldn't take a quick look. When I finally got to it, it was scraping on the backing plate. So I put the old caliper back on with new pads and rotor. Original Nissan stamped caliper. 19 year old 206,645 miles Original caliper. The struts are Original too. Keep in mind, I've only owned this car for 2 years roughly, paid $800, was supposed to be my work car(24 miles round trip daily for work) but instead, I'm addicted to this car and I want to get another car so I can fix this one up!! OR, for another, better shape b15 to work on. A LOT of Original parts on this car! That says a lot for Nissan!!
241k here, one-owner and original everything except 2J performance or upgrades. Never have I owned another vehicle that just keeps running, that needs only minor troubleshooting here and there. You take care of the minor issues you have with the above instructions, you'll enjoy that car for many more miles/years. Good Luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
seems like the QR25 is actually decently reliable if you can avoid the pre-cat failure or butterfly screws and stay on top of maintenance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts