A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2J Delrin motor mounts for about 2 months now (3000 KM of Driving). This is what I think of them from beginning until now.

Initially, I thought the mounts to be quite harsh. I didn't mind the vibrations and how the car feels but I mind the rattling tin can sound in the cabin. I can't even listen to music. However, I liked the way the car feels. I feel a sense of "connectedness" with my machine and the road. I can take turns harder and launch harder. My shifting also feels very precise. There is less movement with my shifter. After a week of daily driving this thing however, the initial happiness wore off and I started to think, "man wtf was I thinking?" I can't listen to music and I can't stand this thing on long drives. My gf was also not very happy lol... Eventually pieces of my dash fell off while I was driving her and her mom around. Her mom also drives a 2015 Mercedes-Benz C350, so I was quite embarassed drivng her in my car. She didn't say anything however. Also for a good while I was wearing ear plugs because the drone and rattling on the highway was bothering me.

After the first month, I decided maybe I should tone it down a bit so I ordered some polyurethane motor mounts. I got shipped the wrong mounts and I had to resend so I could get shipped new ones. The whole sending and resending took almost a month. I got the polyurethane mounts just two days ago but something changed. I don't know if I lost some of my hearing (lol) but the 2J Delrin Mounts are now tolerable. I don't wear any ear plugs anymore either. I am thinking about not even installing these polyurethane mounts to calm down some of the vibes.

So basically I don't know what happened. Maybe the mounts settled in or maybe I lost some hearing but the delrin mounts, after about 2 months became a lot more tolerable. I can say I am happy with my purchase and I give these mounts a solid 10/10 but it takes some getting used to for me. I can also say that the 2J Delrin mounts are streetable to an extent.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
This is exactly why I backed away from both polyurethane/delrin mounts, didn't want to have to deal with all the vibrations on a daily driver. So I ended up just purchasing some motor mounts inserts and installing them, very minor vibrations.
Although your not the first to say they basically calm down after a bit, so I'll probably give them a shot whenever my mounts are due for a change. Thanks for the review sleepisyummy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 2k2SpecV. I still want this car to be streetable since I still do some daily driving stuff with it. Also I installed bluetooth in my car when I first got it and I thought that installing the mounts would make it hard for people to hear me. Despite the rattling cabin, my friends and gf say they can hear me all the same with or without 2J Delrin Motor Mounts.

I am thinking that if I put a turbo in there, I can quiet down the drone my car has on the highway and the car will be quieter overall. I don't expect for the vibes to completely go away but to be honest it really doesn't bother me much now.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
I've also had mine installed for about 2 months at first same as u. Why the hell did I do this. My car was like a massive vibrator lol. But after a while it seemed to calm down. Now it only vibrates from about 1k to 2k which I hardly notice unless I'm in a high gear but low rpms but then it just massages my back n ass lol. No regrets on doin it and would do it again. But I've still yet to do the bsr. On a side note I also have tdmi solid bushing in my control arms

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the BSR removed. I remember when I had stock mounts with BSR there were only vibes around 1900-2000 rpm when I go up a hill. Other than that it was very quiet.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Nice good to know

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Accurate account of what riding on the Delrins is like for the first couple months, lol. still a bit vibey, but they do feel like they settle after a couple weeks. I'm genuinely thinking of going back to OE mounts and installing MMIs, like @2k2SpecV, but I still like these. The only comments I've gotten so far about my car after the mounts were about how loud the inside of my car is, lol. everything just rattles inside. . .

I was thinking of pulling out my dash and installing little O-rings with pieces of foam between the dash and the car body to try to reduce the dash vibes. I know my cluster and passenger airbags rattle like crazy. . .

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
No BSR

When I finally had my MMIs installed I was instantly glad I didn't go more extreme. The vibrations don't bother me at all, but it also only vibrates at idle. I'd maybe switch to solid mounts sometime in the future, idk, maybe not if I do BSR. But anyway my point is that I would of had no idea what to expect doing a mod like solid mounts if I hadn't done the inserts first.

Thanks for the review. Helpful information

PS: my MMIs were used when I got them. So...if they break in at all like solids seem to, they were broken in already by the previous owner

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
nice honest review
thank you

i have struggled with this for years
certain combos almost shook the car apart, literally destroyed the alternator, shook it apart

i have been thru 6 setups like this
mmi's [no pic]
travis super hard mts

ES red motor mounts

1st gen 2j mts [no pic]
2nd gen 2j mts [pic below]
shock mounted engine and stock rubber mounts [pics below]

two set ups worked for me with very limited vibes
my interior is stripped so any droning is amplifeid

the 2nd gen 2j mounts, i have been using for about 3 years now
and for a strip /street car these imo are best

the engine shock mount and orig rubber mounts also worked well on the street, but not track

the travis mounts were too hard
the 1st 2j mounts had the wrong resonance factor
the es mounts did not work for track use, too soft,, and no advantage in vibes, they actually shook more than the resonance tuned 2nd generation 2j mounts

mmi's for the mostly street, occasional track use ok
constant track use produces very short life, they wear out quickly and don't work as well as solid mounts for track or hard street use
still shake too

IMO

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
I didn't get a chance to ride in your car. 2002blackspec_v rode in your car.

I didn't ride or sit in v_2's car either ever unfortunately. But from just standing by his car with the 2j mounts I could say it had way more vibrations than MMIs. But that should be expected.

Not sure what mounts 2002blackspec_v had when I drove his car. They weren't bad.

The VQ I drove I am pretty sure had solid mounts. And it wasn't bad at all IMO

Solids don't seem to be crazy ridiculous. It depends on your car. They don't all rattle to the same degree. But people definitely should not expect "regular" non car people to think it's tolerable. You kinda have to be a car person to understand why you'd do such a thing. That goes for MMIs as well

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
sorry dave

i agree this is a serious step
mmi's are much easier to remove, if you don't like them

the shock mount requires removal of the strut bar, and tended to pivot the car to the left side,
when track hard braking [just before lock up]

overall i have had the best experience with the 2j delrin motor mounts

if you prefer luxury cars, GT cars, and a long distance 9hr cruiser
solid mounts will be a bruiser

use it to shop with the mate, or carry your fishing bait
if goods sounds and isolation from the traffic commuter gait

is what you want, let me set you straight

stay with oem mounts

IMO

·
Registered
257 Posts
The VQ is a much better balanced engine. People that have ridden in my car in both 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder form can't believe I have the same solid mounts.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I am on the poly bushings, I have the front rear and trans bushings done. I also have the newer altima crank so it is more balanced then stock. It also depends on what crank u have as well. I believe Tim is stock crank with no balance shafts

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
thanks, i forgot

lets separate some things out
i love built and balanced motors for more than power

the comments above concern the na engine, not the balanced turbo motor

presently, i'm using the b16 crank and 2j rods with wiseco pistons
BSR as well
the ringer, is this rotating assembly was balanced, by proline racing engines. for high rpm

this is the smoothest 4, i have ever seen

the NA engine used the stock b16 rotating assembly [crank, rods, and pistons] as they came from the factory
both engines lack the balance assembly

running the NA engine on the mounts mentioned
is what i am talking about a few posts back

the new engine on the same 2j mounts as the NA motor
is a totally different experience
v6 like

1st it runs under pressure at much lower rpm
and 2nd, is so much smoother to begin with

so what this means is

a built balanced vq is glass smooth
a stock vq is very smooth

a built, balanced qr is about the same

a stock qr to get where the above are,
needs rubber mounts and the balance weight assembly

point is:
the smoothness of the engine must be accounted for
when choosing motor mounts

IMO

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
it is more balanced but not fully

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
the stock b16 crank is also 8lb heavier than the b15 crank
and though the rods are lighter, it's still a vibrating weight gain

dropping the stock b16 assembly into the b15 block will imo increase the vibration level
unless balanced more precisely at the rpm you run than oem

imo

assuming 6500 rpm [6800 tops] red line
above there i feel the b16 crank [rods too] is required
or turbo and/or n2o

you have seen the taco pics
pistons holy, holy and pitted too
rods elongated, bearings shot

but the crank shines on
photo1 by Barry, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 27 Posts