A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got this 2j SS catback dual tip in the summer, its a good system, but im just starting to get rust on the muffler part and tips, i live in pa where they salt like crazy thats why i bought SS over just regular, hope it stays just surface rust or maybe i should paint the muffler with some sort or high temp coating?

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
I got mine this summer too.

Someone tried painting theirs and it chipped off bad.

I have some rust too. I saw rust on the muffler real quick. I was surprised. Mostly around the welds.

Think I might try plastidipping it. Not sure if it gets too hot for dip or not. I don't think it does.

No rust on the pipe or resonator, but there's some on the muffler. Not much. Some. Also just surface so far. Worth mentioning I drive threw water/puddles way more than the average person.

I'm not to worried about it pretty typical.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you buy SS or regular? and maybe only the pipe is the SS part and the muffler is same on both systems, I think the SS is warrantied for life (think?) hope so, it better not rust away for how much it was, in that case coulda got a ebay one that would last same amount of time, hope 2j chimes in with what he thinks, still a good system tho

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Stainless steel will still surface corrode over time, especially when exposed regularly to salts. I think Magnaflow uses 304 stainless on mufflers/tips/etc, which will corrode faster than higher grade metal. I think they use 400 series on piping. The corrosion shouldn't penetrate, though.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
I agree with what v_2 said.

And I doubt you'll find an exhaust, other than titanium, that won't surface rust in PA.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I agree with what v_2 said.

And I doubt you'll find an exhaust, other than titanium, that won't surface rust in PA.
What V_2 said about the material is correct. Surface rust is inevitable in PA. Coat the welds and other areas that have surface rust (after you clean it off) with POR15 - http://www.por15.com/ Its really the only way you can deal with the coating of salt.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Most of the time it's the welds that are rusting because they are welding the 409 SS pipe to 304 SS muffler with the wrong welding material. Almost all muffler shops weld with MIG welders and steel wire (which then rusts), instead of using TIG with the proper 306 SS or 309 SS rod for dissimilar SS metals (using 306 SS or 309 SS depends on if 316 SS is welded to 304 SS or 409 SS is welded to 304 SS). This especially applies to the 304 SS headers, which is also why they tend to crack since the wrong rod was used and they typically don't preheat before welding as is required for the proper welding process. I have NEVER seen any muffler shop ever use the correct welding rod yet, that's why I take all of my exhaust system components to a specialty welding shop that uses the correct rod!! Unfortunately, Joe's catback system has a shop already weld the dual tips onto the muffler which is using the wrong weld material, thus the rusting issue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone ever use por15 on exhaust, just wondering if regular would work or high temp, searched and couldn't find anyone using it on heated surface?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts