A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok....this is not in my car at the moment, so anyone with this installed please post your opinions.

2j sent me one, so I will post what I think. Thanks Joe ;)
DSC_0746.jpg

For starters, since many people wonder, I weighed the knob.
It weighs ~120 grams (just Under 8oz or half a pound)
Much Heavier than I expected, but not super heavy. No clue if heavier than stock, but I would assume so no matter which stock knob you have. V1 2j knob weighs ~300 grams, for comparison.

The machine work looks decent enough. About what I expected. It is not 100% perfect if you are completely anal about these things, but pretty close. Mine may be a second or blem, as I did not purchase it (again Thanks Joe for sending me this). And any small imperfections seem easy to clean up in no time if they bother you

The knob feels pretty nice. Feels quality. Nothing at all cheap feeling about it. Onto shape. While it doesn't seem to want to fit into my palm (no biggie), it does fit quite nicely in my hand from a top grip between the top two knuckles of my index and middle fingers and the thumb and ring finger kinda tucks in and grips on the groove machined around the knob. With a pistol grip, the groove machined around it seems perfect for index or middle finger and thumb grip. I don't think your hand would slip off either way you hold it. Which is good. Better than expected feel for sure.

Seems pretty good. I like it more than I thought I would. Seems worth the current asking price if you're a fan of the design.

I don't think anything about it would particularly bother me. Big bonus that it won't get hot or cold unlike V1 or v2 knobs. And it has the shift pattern as well unlike those. And says 2j and SE-R of course :)

Again, it is not currently installed in my car. So I can't give a worthwhile opinion at the moment of pros or cons vs my stock SE-R 6 speed knob. And honestly I am a big fan of that knob and very accustomed to it, so my opinion may be biased there anyway. Also I can't really give a totally worthwhile opinion of functionality at the moment either without it being installed. But, I do like it, and do like it more than I expected to. So sharing what I can. Also many people wondered what they weigh.

Anyone with this knob installed, PLEASE feel free to add you opinions on this product.

I need to paint this thing. Maybe will update later. Post your painted pics!!!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I also got my 2JR V3 knob in the mail yesterday. Also just like Dave I have not installed it yet, but will do so tomorrow.
The knob feels great, although I wish it were heavier. I love how it's designed: SER logo, shift pattern on top, looks like a piston, 2J Racing on the bottom. It's the perfect shift knob for SER enthusiasts.
I also want to paint it, I'm thinking of using Silver & Red paint for the shift pattern, SER logo, and the 2J logo. But I need to find a way of making it perfect, lol.

Here are some pictures of how other people painted there's (from FaceBook):
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449355154.968355.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449355202.754718.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449355210.222386.jpg

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice. Thanks for the pictures.

Also I forgot to add that it doesn't actually feel at all like plastic, not really like rubber either. Kinda in between. In case anyone was worried about a cheap plastic feeling, that's not an issue. Delrin was a good idea.

:thinking: I actually have red touch up paint that matches the car perfect :)
Need white or silver too. Probably silver. Or both

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I never got to put mine to use since my car's still on jack stands for brake work T~T but I'll have to agree, it does feel nice in the hand. @shanover said the shape doesn't make resting your hand on it comfortable since the top is flat. unfortunately for me, I'm one of those people who likes resting my wrist on top of my shift knob. . .this might make me break the habit, lol.

personally, I love how light the thing is. heavy knobs make shifting easier, sure, but I like that light knobs make shifting snappier. might help if my trans was a lil smoother, but it feels just like the stock 02-04 gooseneck knob in terms of shifting feel, imo. quick and snappy shifting.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock SE-R 6 speed knob is 50 grams. 3.2 ounces.

So V3 knob is more than twice as heavy

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock SE-R 6 speed knob is 50 grams. 3.2 ounces.

So V3 knob is more than twice as heavy

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
;) Post what you think about it after you try it out.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I did try it out for 2 days before deciding to paint.
I like it. The groove I painted orange (color of my car) serves as a grip of sorts when shifting fast.
It is lighter than the aftermarket ball knob that came on the car from previous owner. But it feels substantial and made of quality.
Takes a little time to get used to, but eventually feels good and meaty in the palm.
Coupled with the sts, it sometimes acts as a simple lever for me, where I can flick it rather than grip it in my palm and move my entire arm.
I really like the SE-R exclusive recessed logo and reverse R
My only complaint, I blame my stubby fingers. Although the knob appears a little tall, it does thread down the shift rod all the way down to the lockout. After install, it really isn't that tall. But in order for me to reverse, I need to place my thumb on top and use my middle and ring fingers to fork the lockout and pull up. That's apposed to palming it and pulling up on reverse lockout.
To me, that's a small nuisance, not quite a complaint. I'll love this shift knob.
Sts + this shift knob + 2j bushings = easy to drive.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Does anyone else have an issue with this shifter twisting? I haven't found a proper way to tighten it well. When spun all the way tight, it's upside down. So I've lived with making it snug, facing forward. This works out well most of the time until I drive spiritedly. So I find myself adjusting it continuously.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

this is how mine looked after today's autox event - a full 1¼ twist, lol. only thing I can think of would be to add a washer or two underneath to space it out and keep it from turning any more than it already can.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That's a good idea Neko. I wondered if this would be an issue since it's Delrin and also I noticed mine isn't threaded all the way inside the hole. So I figured it was a decent possibility this would happen.

Probably can use something like you suggest. Would just need to find stuff that equalled just the right thickness.

Also this is why V1 and v2 knobs have a decal instead of engraving. Because there's no way to "set" the knob exactly without either some kind of screw or something like lots of knobs have. Sometimes inserts and/or screws etc

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if some kind of Loctite would help. Idk how well that'll work with Delrin.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I just measured the lip on the bottom side. You've got about 5/8" to play with adding spacers before they'd be visible.

Added bonus......more weight ;)
Only downside...a tad taller, but some people prefer tall so...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts