A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Picked up these washers at Home Depot today, hopefully this will work on my SE as well. I know my bushings are shot because I can still feel the motor rocking when shifting.

How bad are the vibrations though? similar to motor mount inserts or worse?

Someone mentioned metal on metal noise so what I did was make some plastic washers to go between each washer to avoid that problem. Basically I just cut up a table placemat from the dollar store to make the washers.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ok so it turns out that my issue is not with the crossmember bushings. Apprently it's the stock motor mounts flexing too much which is what's causing the motor to rock. The crossmember doesn't even budge. None of the mounts are ripped but they do stretch too much when letting out the clutch.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was gonna do this but ended up with a stripped bolt. Does anyone know what the thread pattern is for the long bolts that go through the motor mount bracket and through the motor mount itself? I need to visit Home Depot racing tomorrow..

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Less talking, more doing :D

On a side note, anyone know if Rob still sells his UHMW bushings? If not I may start to do so... Not a fan of the metal washers at all.
This is what is holding me back from doing so, I want a diff material washer or something so the vibrations and/or noise isn't bad.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Less talking, more doing :D

On a side note, anyone know if Rob still sells his UHMW bushings? If not I may start to do so... Not a fan of the metal washers at all.
why yes, yes i am.
fail on my part, i thought i has a for sale thread on this forum but i dont.
i'll get my lazy ass on that asap.

i got 2 standard sets (4x1/2" thick) ready to go and a whole wack load of the low clearance sets (8x1/4" thick).

still $7.50 shipped for standards and $10.00 shipped for the low clearance.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
why yes, yes i am.
fail on my part, i thought i has a for sale thread on this forum but i dont.
i'll get my lazy ass on that asap.

i got 2 standard sets (4x1/2" thick) ready to go and a whole wack load of the low clearance sets (8x1/4" thick).

still $7.50 shipped for standards and $10.00 shipped for the low clearance.
I def need a set of the ones for this mod.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
yesterday i went to get some work done on the car, while the car was lifted I noticed one set of washers weren't tide, you could move them, is this normal?? I bought the car with the washers already, so I'm just wondering

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
not enough washers. those bolts have a big shoulder on them so they bottom out before acually clamping down on the crossmember. the washer/spacers i make are 1/2" thick so the bolt will clamp down on the crossmember before the shoulder on the bolt hits the chassis.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I just did this mod but my bolts are all spinning when tightened all the way. Is this safe or should I do something about it
Sounds like they are stripped. motor wont fall out or anything but definitely not safe. You may be able to remove halve of the washers and grab a few more clean threads but if they are entirely stripped out the repair is far from easy.

Best case scenario would be if you could buy new bolts and just run a tap through the threaded holes.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I dont think there is enough material in the chassis to use helicoils as you would first have to drill out a much larger hole in order to use them. I was thinking just running a tap of the same thread pitch as the original in hopes you can just clean up the original threads.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.