A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having issues with my rev lockout on my specV since i bought it. It wont go into reverse or it's hard to go into reverse. When going over 70 and putting it into 6 it'll grind and my bro was following me when it happened and he said my rev lights came on. When pushing the shifter over to between 5/6 and pulling the lockout it doesnt "unlock" that over and back groove for reverse that's supposed to be there. If anyone has driven other nissan's with 6-speed and reverse lockouts you know the feeling i'm talking about. It's like that slot doesnt exist until you push in (350z) or pull up (sentra/altima/maxima) the lockouts. When i pull the lockout up i've gota feel for it pushing against the far right end of the shift radius. I'm thinking the shifter assy is going bad. Anyone seen this before? i know it's more common on the maxima's and altimas with rev lockout by 1 but never seen this on this one with reverse by 6.

· Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Pull up your shift boot and see what's going on under there. There are a few different issues associated with the lockout, but you won't know for sure until you take a look at it.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took the boot out today. Super easy. There's a slide on both sides of the shifter like a box that prevents moving too far to the left or right. The lockout rod will prevent you from pushing too far. The lockout rod had separated from the spring loaded lever (what you pull on) It looks like it's just cheap plastic that's very thin. I assume the lockout got stuck at one point and snapped the lever's retainer. I put a ziptie on the lever and tied that to the lockout rod and it works great so far. You can't glue them because the lockout pivots inside the lever. I'm going to get with my parts department tomorrow and see if i can get just a new shift lever with the lockout built in. Nissan lists it separate at about $40 my cost but it may service file to a whole " control device assembly" Also i noticed that the actual 6th gear isnt lined up with the "box" in the shifter i mentioned earlier. There's about 1/4" gap between the lockout stopper and the plastic that prevents movement. Im wondering if there's a way to adjust that because if i hold the shifter and push it goes into 6 no problem but if i push it all the way against the plastic box it'll be half way between 6 and R and not do anything and most of the time it'll go into reverse. I'll have to play with that some. Maybe the lockout in the new shifter will be longer preventing this.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
priced it at work today. Whole shifter assy including knob my cost is $105. I'll be getting a new one in the next week or 2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts