A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I need some help with my 94 sentra with ga16de, auto trans, and 156,xxx on the odometer.

So I had to replace my water pump a few months back and read about the tensioners going bad so I decided while I was in there I would replace them as well. I took the timing chest cover off the motor replaced both tensioners and left chain guide and water pump and put it all back together with the motor still in the car. this was a pain in the butt due to the little room you have between the front of the motor and the passenger side fender. I got it back together and ever since then I heard a rattle when it first started, sounded like a diesel or a tractor sometimes. It sounded like the timing chain not getting tension or oil, and would go away within a few seconds but still not good. I drove it a total about 4 hours like that just too see if anything would change and while it seemed to get better, as in it didnt do it for as long when i started it it would still do it for a split second. So i stopped driving the car. I double checked both tensioners and found nothing wrong. I put them back in and same thing. It will do it when it first starts and then it goes away until it warms up. Once the oil warms up and thins out you can hear the chain noise again but it is pretty quite...but you can hear it. I checked oil pressure with a psi gauge at the oil sending unit and it read 30+ so I think the old pressure is fine.

all this happened back in june. I just got around to working on it again and decided to just pull the motor/trans as i figured I probably got a seal in wrong or something when I was trying to put the timing cover back on since I had no room with it in the car. I was really hoping that once I tore the timing cover back off I would see what was wrong and be able to fix it so I could get it back together sooner rather then later. Well I pulled it apart today and I can not see anything out of place. The two little round seals were right where they were suppose to be and everything looks normal to me?!

Only thing I can come up with is that I am guilty of over doing the rtv sometimes so maybe a piece fell off into the engine and blocked one of the oil passages? I uploaded several pictures with it torn apart onto photobucket so please view the pics and tell me if you see anything at all that looks out of place. I really need to get this car going ASAP as my datsun pickup is on its last leg(1/4" of play in the crank!!!)

The only thing i noticed when I tore it apart was that it looked like the front main seal was leaking...which i replaced when i did the tensioners but it looks ike a slow leak not enough to cause a reduction in oil pressure and timing chain rattle.

Any thoughts/suggestions??????
here are the pics

http://s725.photobucket.com/user/livndasticks/library/94 sentra ga16de motor?sort=3&page=1

dont mind the blue lines in all the pics...my camera has a couple scratches in the lens

thanks for any and all help!!!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
This might be normal...

I changed my upper tensioner recently, and it reduced the noise some, but even on cold starts if I start to drive immediately I hear a loud tick which eventually goes away. If I wait 1min after starting it the noise is not as prevalent.

I don't know about the lower tensioner, but the upper was pretty straight forward.
http://www.b15u.com/threads/41343-A-must-for-all-GA16DE-powered-B14-s

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts