A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 and was wondering to install a wideband which 02 sensor do i either replace or hijack a wideband gauge to. Im not having any luck finding that answer and i dont have that much time to keep looking

·
39,069 Posts
I would use another wide band sensor rather than use the stock.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
I have an 06 and was wondering to install a wideband which 02 sensor do i either replace or hijack a wideband gauge to. Im not having any luck finding that answer and i dont have that much time to keep looking
You should have an empty bung in your header you can use. If for some reason you do not, have a shop weld in a bung somewhere on your header or midpipe.

An 06 has a factory wideband. So.....you probably could replace it with an aftermarket wideband and also send a signal to the ECU from it as well as to a gauge. But you're probably better off just adding the additional sensor like you were planning. ECU is picky about sensors, so I'd probably choose not mess with the factory setup.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you that answers it perfectly i do have an extra bung on my header but wasn't sure if it would work with that one or had to use the one in the midpipe

·
6,695 Posts
You'd really want to use the one closest to the head that you have available. That way you don't have bad readings from contaminated samples in case you have a leak or anything.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'd really want to use the one closest to the head that you have available. That way you don't have bad readings from contaminated samples in case you have a leak or anything.
Will do thanks you probably just saved me some headache

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Not true. The first bung is closer than recommend. Plus if he had a leak it'll show up no matter which header bung he uses.

PLUS depending on his header. Likely his top bung is on a single runner. Soooo....he'd only be monitoring 1 cylinder.

Lower bung is better!

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
May not apply to your situation, but the data sheet for most O2 sensors also contains info on temperature ranges, while I agree, closer to the cylinders is better, with a turbo I just wonder if the heat would be too high for them in the top bung of the downpipe

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
May not apply to your situation, but the data sheet for most O2 sensors also contains info on temperature ranges, while I agree, closer to the cylinders is better, with a turbo I just wonder if the heat would be too high for them in the top bung of the downpipe
I was kinda wondering that for turbo set up. I have 2 bungs up top of my DP. But don't know if it'd work having both my o2 and wideband up top

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
If you guys look at the install instructions of your widebands you'll see the recommended installation distances for the sensors from the head.

The first bung is WAY WAY closer than recommend.

Put aftermarket widebands where recommend. While yes, your factory sensor is probably in a bad place in most situations, as long as your aftermarket sensor is in a good location and is properly calibrated and replaced when recommend it will let you know when your factory sensor starts to go bad. Your AFR will change if your factory sensor is going bad.

Make sure the wideband is where it's supposed to be and it will do ITS JOB and let you know if you have any issues to attend to with anything else. Whether that's a leak or a bad factory sensor or tuning issue or numerous other possible things will all show themselves on your gauge. That's the the point of the gauge.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
If you guys look at the install instructions of your widebands you'll see the recommended installation distances for the sensors from the head.

The first bung is WAY WAY closer than recommend.

Put aftermarket widebands where recommend. While yes, your factory sensor is probably in a bad place in most situations, as long as your aftermarket sensor is in a good location and is properly calibrated and replaced when recommend it will let you know when your factory sensor starts to go bad. Your AFR will change if your factory sensor is going bad.

Make sure the wideband is where it's supposed to be and it will do ITS JOB and let you know if you have any issues to attend to with anything else. Whether that's a leak or a bad factory sensor or tuning issue or numerous other possible things will all show themselves on your gauge. That's the the point of the gauge.
the only issue I can see with all of the posts about widebands, sensors, etc, is there is really no hard recommended change interval. I have seen everything from every 50K, to every 200K, and others that have well over 300K and are still on the factory unit. Most places I have checked recommend it every 100K or so. and I know, that if you check it with a volt meter to check the voltages it will give you a better picture of weather or not its time, but that wont tell you if the sensor is getting 'lazy' and responding slowly. On my car, over the last few months, my afr's have been tending to the rich side, so I ordered up some replacements. Thats when I started looking for a change interval. as far as distance from the head, actual piping distance, the upper bung of a turbo downpipe is still further from the head than the factory sensor (for distance traveled). My concern with the upper bung is the temperature from the turbo may cause its lifespan to decrease.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
I don't want to go hunting for my wideband documentation.

But the replacement interval is Less than 100k miles iirc. And the calibration interval is OFTEN.

Lemme see if I can find it online. I think my documentation is at work. And even if it's here at home somewhere in one of my vehicles it's too cold to go hunting for it lol

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
I don't want to go hunting for my wideband documentation.

But the replacement interval is Less than 100k miles iirc. And the calibration interval is OFTEN.

Lemme see if I can find it online. I think my documentation is at work. And even if it's here at home somewhere in one of my vehicles it's too cold to go hunting for it lol
calibration interval is based on the sensor, some sensors dont require calibration, the bosch 4.6 that my wideband uses does not require periodic calibration. other models may. I dont believe the factory wideband O2 sensor requires calibration as well.

Make that a Bosch LSU 4.9 that my wideband display uses, the factory O2 sensor is a Bosch LSU 4.2. Neither of which are supposed to require calibration

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
It doesn't say when tp replace it.

But here's the install location stuff
And the calibration interval

Screenshot_2016-12-16-10-17-47.jpg Screenshot_2016-12-16-10-17-47.jpg Screenshot_2016-12-16-10-19-19.jpg Screenshot_2016-12-16-10-19-19.jpg

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
calibration interval is based on the sensor, some sensors dont require calibration, the bosch 4.6 that my wideband uses does not require periodic calibration. other models may. I dont believe the factory wideband O2 sensor requires calibration as well.
That's incorrect. I have that same sensor and the directions are above. It still requires periodic calibration.

However you're correct your PLX doesn't require it. It also has a feature to check sensor health so you know when to replace the sensor. Because the PLX gauge is pimp shit.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
That's incorrect. I have that same sensor and the directions are above. It still requires periodic calibration.

However you're correct your PLX doesn't require it. It also has a feature to check sensor health so you know when to replace the sensor. Because the PLX gauge is pimp shit.
I have the plx wideband and you can check reaction time, health of sensor and other things

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts

no, its not PLX, it is however, Tanabe Revel OLED display, and directions for it dont mention calibration, they do, however, state that periodic calibration is unnecessary.

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
no, its not PLX, it is however, Tanabe Revel OLED display, and directions for it dont mention calibration, they do, however, state that periodic calibration is unnecessary.
I believe you. Never looked at Tanabe gauges

My Prosport and Innovate both say to periodically free air them. Both have the same Bosch sensor you have. But the actual electronics of the systems are different from PLX and I would assume also different than your Tanabe if you don't have to calibrate periodically.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts