A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,694 Posts
I believe you. Never looked at Tanabe gauges

My Prosport and Innovate both say to periodically free air them. Both have the same Bosch sensor you have. But the actual electronics of the systems are different from PLX and I would assume also different than your Tanabe if you don't have to calibrate periodically.
I think the tanabe polls the sensor to check for its health, the gauge itself takes several seconds to 'boot' and have a display of the afr's. maybe 10-15 seconds from gauge on to display

·
6,536 Posts
Not true. The first bung is closer than recommend. Plus if he had a leak it'll show up no matter which header bung he uses.

PLUS depending on his header. Likely his top bung is on a single runner. Soooo....he'd only be monitoring 1 cylinder.

Lower bung is better!
That's of course assuming the op would follow the directions on his actual wideband. Also, we don't really have a individual cylinder monitoring for the ECU anyway so all cylinders will be firing and getting the same amount of fuel. That is of course given that the engine and all the components are healthy. The AF sensor would still read the same thing even if it's only sampling 1 cylinder. That's why most headers have the primary o2 sensor placement at cylinder 3. The lower bung IS better on the header like you said, I just mentioned that it needs to be closer because he mentioned about the midpipe placement which is pretty far and a potential leak location.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
That's of course assuming the op would follow the directions on his actual wideband. Also, we don't really have a individual cylinder monitoring for the ECU anyway so all cylinders will be firing and getting the same amount of fuel. That is of course given that the engine and all the components are healthy. The AF sensor would still read the same thing even if it's only sampling 1 cylinder. That's why most headers have the primary o2 sensor placement at cylinder 3. The lower bung IS better on the header like you said, I just mentioned that it needs to be closer because he mentioned about the midpipe placement which is pretty far and a potential leak location.
I agree with having it on the header or, if turbo, the downpipe. You definitely don't want extra places that leaks are likely possible between the head and the sensor.

And yes. If your motor is healthy then having the sensor on a runner is perfectly fine. Only disadvantage is if that cylinder gets hurt it can jack up the tune for the other cylinders, or if another cylinder is having trouble you may likely not see it if you're mainly monitoring a different cylinder. Putting the stock upstream sensor on a runner is convenient. Stock it's in the top of the catso it can monitor all cylinders. With a header it typically won't reach to where the runners merge so they put it on a runner. Which for the most part is fine.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts