A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all heard the stories, or experinced them. I worked in Dealerships for a lot of years, and have several stories about then, but let me start out with this:

Dealership story:

I actually went to a 'squeak and rattle' (noise vibration and harshness) school. not long after, had a truck come in, owner said it was buzzing, ok, test drive, no noise. could not hear anything abnormal, owner insisted, it buzzed when he went home, but no other time. ok.. lets figure this out, ride with owner... no noise, owner finally turns down his road, buzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!? have owner stop, get out, look at vehicle, could find nothing wrong, have owner drive again, 'BUZZZZZZ" Really confused now... lol, then glance to drivers side of the windshield. see the trim vibrating. owner lived near a large lake, when he drove home, it was into a headwind, the headwind caused a loose piece of windshield moulding to vibrate. since he was basically never driving into a headwind anywhere else, when he went home his truck would buzz...

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll add another one, or two:

I worked heavy line at a Ford dealership, that meant I rebuilt engines, transmissions, differentials, etc, the dirty work.

One truck came in for a rebuilt engine, No problem, we worked flat rate, book says it takes 6 hrs to swap an engine in an F150, I know I can do it in 4, and get on to other jobs.

I swap the engine, test every thing out, get him on his way.... um... now he has a warranty...

two days later, back in the shop, oil leak, appears to be rear main seal. no problem, drop the tranny, 2 hrs tops (which I DO NOT get paid for, since its a come back....)
Change the rear main, send him on his way...
two days later... back in the shop, apparent rear main seal leak... this time I spray the whole area with brake cleaner and with the truck running on a lift, can find zero leaks, none, nothing....
two days later... back in the shop, rear main seal leak, he actually took the shop supervisor out into the parking lot, and they both layed under the truck for at least an hour and a half, until there was a hint of a drop of oil at the bottom of the bellhousing...
pull the tranny again.. replace rear main, send him on his way.

two days later... I'm getting pissed, I have done 8 hrs of free labor on this thing by now, so I decide I'm gonna go all in, seal one valve cover vent, pressurize the other with about 15psi. the whole block is now under 15 pounds of pressure
Grab a spray bottle from the detailing section and piss them off when I dump the contents down the drain. put half hand soap, and half water in the spray bottle and spray the block.

found a casting flaw in the block, about 1/2 inch above the rear main. very slowly drips oil, or in this case, blew bubbles when I sprayed it with the soap mixture.
issue found, new block on order, about a week later rebuild the new short block and reinstall in the owners truck...

two days later....

owner shows back up at the shop
locates me
hands me a $50 tip, and a bottle of jack, says he knew I did a lot of work that wasnt my fault, and wanted to help me out a bit!!!
Not all customers are dicks, lol

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and now, for a non maintenance adventure in maintenance, same Ford dealership...
the Taurus
Some models had air bag suspension
watched one come in to the service bay
riding very low
very low
I figured it had a problem with the bagged suspension
wonder who's gonna get this one?
Driver gets out
She must have gone at least 600lbs on a diet day
passenger gets out
she's about the same...
Taurus is now at proper ride height...
I chuckle, and make a comment to the lube guy..
(early 80's, everyone is aware of the famine in Ethiopia...)
Hey, I bet they could feed everyone in Ethiopia on ONE of those thighs!!!
(I was young, I didnt give a fuck)
Lube guy looks at me and says....
Mother Fucker!!! Thats MY wife and her sister!!!

I step back and say DAMN!!!
You're a bigger man than I am!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,213 Posts
Military maintenance related to Humvees:

Working as a contractor, sometimes around soldiers and their units(some share motor pools). Humvee maintainers are having an issue with a Humvee stalling after it starts up, runs for a little while stalls and can't start it again unless a fuel line is disconnected from the injector. Soldiers bring it over to show what its doing then me and the mechanic over me start looking into it. Initially I wanted to look at the fuel filter, boss man wanted to look else where. Blew some air in the lines, I wasn't paying attention and blew air in a tranny vent line and had dextron shoot me in the head from the tranny dip stick tube(funny shit). 2 or 3 days go by and I say fuck it, I'm checking the fuel filter, about 1/4 of an inch (give or take) of the bottom of the filter has nothing but dirt in it; swap out the filter(s) runs like a champ...wish I was a fly on the wall of the room those guys was in when they was getting their asses hand to them.

Pulled up to an auto parts store, IIRC a Miata was idling like shit misfiring and what not with the hood up and two guys trying to figure out whats up. Decide to walk over, looked and ask one of the spectators whats going on, said that they have been trying to figure out whats wrong with it for like 30 minutes or so. I look at the motor again and asked they guys if the spark plug wires was in the right locations....fuck light bulbs, nuclear explosions went off...swap wires, runs like champ, I walk into the store.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Haha I love these stories but hate actually dealing with them.

I have a few myself Ill post up when I can later!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts