A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Akcarlsonfam5's Build Thread

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Akcarlsonfam5 
#1 · (Edited)
Some of you know I recently bought my first car... A red 02 spec v with only 87k miles for only 2900! First thing I did was change the oil(full synthetic), then I did the butterfly screws a couple weeks later. Then the car has sat for the last few weeks due to snow. After we did the screws I went for a spirited drive, and noticed a strange noise on partial throttle. My friend thought it was the exhaust, I whish it was. Yesterday I was going to check the exhaust out but I read I thread about rod knock... So I checked the oil, AND THERE WASN'T ANY! I put 3 quarts in it! Oil only has 500 miles On it! So I got down to the buttom of the car while someone reved it a little and low and behold, ROD KNOCK!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! @#$%&+#$%$?!!!!!?!@#!!!

I've only had the car a month! It is now parked for a while as I save up money for a rebuild since it has a loan on it and I don't think I can get what I paid for with a "blown" engine... (Not blown, still runs good but not going to so I can salvage the crank)

So, now the question is what should I replace? I'm very good with cars and think I can rebuild it myself... Is it a hard engine to rebuild? Also, what caused the oil to be so low? Its not leaking and I couldn't tell from the exhaust that I'm burning any...

I know that I'm gonna get new bearings... And head gasket, ARP studs... So there is already about 300 plus getting the head and block machined... What kind of adjustment is used for the valves? My friends supra'S engine uses shims, does ours?
And keep in mind the engine only has 87k on it! So should I do rods and pistons as well? Anything to get better mpg and power... 1000k budget...
Your feedback would be appreciated!!!

(That smiley face on the title is bugging me lol, forgot to change that)

See less See more
#5 ·
I just checked my spot and there is still no oil on ground, and when I drove it for the first few days I always checked the exhaust and it wasn't burning it, so idk where it went! I just wished I would have actually checked the oil... :( so you think I can have a shop replace my bearings for under 1000?

#7 ·

Really there is only 3 outcome if you're low on oil

1-leak

2-went into the exhaust

3-mixing with antifreeze(but if that's the case usually the antifreeze will go in your oil)

Really, just have a shop put bearings? What about the rest? 1000$ is gone fast rebuilding an engine, believe me. It's not just taking everything out and outing it back

Head gasket set 100$
New engine oil/filter 40$
New tranny oil 60$
Connect bearings 60$
Main bearing 70$
Antifreeze 30$
Other gasket/o-rings u need 50$
Machine shop labour (if they don't pull the engine out) 500-600$

There goes your 1000$

And there's more to it

#9 ·
OK, have an update...
Got around 11-1200$$$ to spend, I've decided to just get it fixed as soon as I can cause I am really hating using my parents minivan, anyways I have two options

1. Buy a replacement engine, found one on eBay for 1250 and has 36k miles on it

2.Buy a short block for 800 plus ship as well as gasket kit 70, and oil pump 80, and get the head machined 50. So total around 1000 plus the shipping so again around 1200 probably...

Which one would you guys recommend? 1. Pro- less time for repair, won't have to break motor in as long...(will do a short breakin just to make sure) Also will have a spare qr25 if anyone wants it with 88k miles or i could save it and over time build it up for turbo or high comp( but dont really have plans on doing that, just want a fun dd). Con-not new engine internals
2. Pro- new internals and built by a professional shop. Con- $300 core deposit, have to disassemble my engine, send the head off to get machined, buy other parts, and re assemble with new short block, lots of time!!! (Compared to just the swap)

What would you do?

#10 ·
I have an 02 that was burning about 1 quart every 100 miles and let me tell you there is no way you wouldn't notice it. By the time I would get out of the neighborhood it looked like they had fogged for mosquitoes. It seems strange to me that you have no signs of a leak and no smoke. I would suggest a 3rd option call Joe at 2jracing . He will lead you in the right direction. If you are going to take the time to rebuild it yourself use quality parts, take your time and plan for the future.

#14 ·
Hey yogi, thanks for the help... I'm thinking now that imma replace the valve cover, and I'll still have to take the motor out and replace the bearings since I can tell one is knocking. I wouldn't lose 3qts of oil from just a valve cover would It? (Well maybe, my Buddie had loose valve cover and his oil went away fast...)
Now that I know my car isn't burning it I don't think I will need to replace the engine... (Only has 88k on it)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.