Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Long time

Got some fresh pics?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Well got a call from the boys at S3, and surprise surprise the knife edged crank wont balance properly.

Luckily the machinist S3 uses has decades of experience and will be able to balance the crank, at the price of double the regular rate.

Wish I kept the stock crank...butt fuck it as long as they can balance the bitch and let me get to that magicsl 8k redline

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Why the f are the knife edge cranks having issues? It should be fully balanced after edge'd ???

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Why the f are the knife edge cranks having issues? It should be fully balanced after edge'd ???
Man.....they were cheaper than stock crankshafts...
Guess that should have tipped the community off :dunno:

Definitely some bullshit.
Serious bullshit.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
"Available only at 2JR, built and designed for racing but now available for the street. Acceleration is paramount, and every extra pound of crankshaft the engine has to spin is just that much more power that's robbed from the front wheels. We start with a B16 SpecV Fully Counterweighted Crank, already a huge upgrade over the B15 crank. Way less vibrations and able to spin to 7800rpm with upgraded valve springs and over 8K with a harmonic dampener.

Normally reserved for racing applications, a knife edged crankshaft can help the engine produce more horsepower. Removing this material and bringing it to a sharp edge does a couple of things. First, knife edging can often remove pounds of weight. Less weight equates to a rotating assembly that spins with less resistance, and this in itself is responsible for some gains in horsepower.

The counterweights on a Stock Nissan crank is flat on the ends. As the crankshaft rotates, these counterweights come into direct contact with the engine’s oil. This contact creates friction and splashes oil all over the bottom end of the engine. A knifed edged crankshaft actually glides through the oil much easier and encounters far less friction. Anytime friction can be reduced in an engine’s rotating assembly or valvetrain, additional horsepower gains are realized. Excellent for turbo or NA applications."

I don't know Barry, description sounds pretty good for wanting it in my car, without any exceptions you listed...

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
just experience speaking

take note,
even my mild build does not use this crank

but he knows me a little too well
drag racing launches do break cranks

and he was a bit disturbed at what happened with the last engine he built for me

i also use the h beam 700 hp rods
even though it barely makes 360whp

so far so good, up to about 13,000 miles on this engine, mostly track miles

have no fear i believe shanover uses that crank in his 400whp build and i think he has a bunch of miles on it

i just have seen this crank is not as strong as the stock b16 crank nor does it balance as well.
and i feel it is not appropriate for high hp turbo or n20 builds where racing or severe use is involved
imo

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Heard back from S3 and the crank was out 46 grams on the front and 71 grams on the rear.

Luckily the place S3 uses knows what the fuck they are doing and they were able to balance the crank to 1 gram by welding in mallory...whatever the fuck that is.

Anyway, first even 2J knife-edged crank that was balanced?

#3isbetterthan2

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Needs maor green wheels...

Hi Alen <3

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Scares me is all. I got my block assembled at a machine shop and not sure if the balance was checked. Assumed it was plug and play. Why should it have to be checked and why is it out by that much? Pretty critical part is all..

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
the crank itself is not balanced from 2jr
you must balance the rotating assembly

after talking with shanover who uses this crank in a sleeved build
and hearing your machine shop easily balanced it

i feel much better, and my concern is greatly lessened

needless to say, my concern was due to past experience
and the new cranks do seem different in the stories i hear back

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
the crank itself is not balanced from 2jr
you must balance the rotating assembly

after talking with shanover who uses this crank in a sleeved build
and hearing your machine shop easily balanced it

i feel much better, and my concern is greatly lessened

needless to say, my concern was due to past experience
and the new cranks do seem different in the stories i hear back
The crank was not easily balanced, they called me saying that there was a problem with the crank on the first round, and that it could have been balanced, but not at the original price.
I highly doubt most shops are going to be capable of balancing this crank given the fact that so many people have said their shops werent able to balance them.

Doable, yes. Easy, no.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Knife edged OEM cranks oddly priced under the price of stock......

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
What other sites are people using, besides photobucket, to get their images onto the forum?

Photobucket is now officially unusable unless you pay them monthly...

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
What other sites are people using, besides photobucket, to get their images onto the forum?

I post all my pics threw tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts

See...I dont understand....there is an obvious site to use....

www.b15u.com

That you can upload directly to the forum is one of the greatest things about our forum.

481 - 500 of 509 Posts