A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first off, I have searched the forum for over and hour and keep recieving contradicting answers, and instructions with very little information. My problem? Ive owned my car for 2 years and I have replaced about 7-8 alternators. At first I believed it was because I was running subs, but now not even running subs I am just about to loose my second alternator since removing them as it is whining and releasing a burning smell. Now I know, I should go and check my grounds, but there's one problem with that...I have no idea where to look. If anybody could upload some pictures of where to look that would help extremely. I have no idea why I keep loosing my alternators so much, a bad tensioner? Bad battery? Bad belt? Shoulđ I just take it to somebody who specializes in electrical and call it a day? Please help, thanks.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Guarantee you you have rusted ground wires which maybe/prob are causing problems make sure you brush them of rust when installing new alternator

look for a wiring diagram or take it to a mechanic if hes honest hell prob inspect your wires for you for not that much cause its a pretty easy fix to brush off some ground wires

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Maybe they are working overtime to charge the battery? Could probably get the battery tested for free somewhere to confirm but I would suspect if the battery was this bad you would have starting issues in the winter ect.

Besides the subs is there anything else non stock electrical related, hid's or something? Turbo downpipe or exposed header getting the alt too hot?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Grounds are easy to find on this car.....

Look for transaxle to chassis ground on drivers side under the battery tray - since you live in Nova Scotia, I'd bet they use salt on the roads in the winter, and it's probably either corroded the ground where it meets the chassis or possibly corroded it almost in half. A good indication is if the car drags when you try to start it and you smell electricals getting hot. Also, clean the ground from the battery to the chassis up in the drivers side fenderwell.

If possible, it might not be a bad idea to try and make a second ground somewhere between the engine and chassis and the engine and the negative side of the battery. Never hurts to have too many grounds......:biggrin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how to upload a photo but my battery ground connecting connecting to the tranny is completely corroded a bright blue in the wiring anf halfway up the mounting plate

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Not sure how to upload a photo but my battery ground connecting connecting to the tranny is completely corroded a bright blue in the wiring anf halfway up the mounting plate
Bingo! now you know what you have to do, if that ones bad im sure the rest are creating havoc on you electrical system too.

PB Blaster is good for loosing rust then brush clean with a metal wire brush you want bare metal to b touching the wires

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
new ground wires r cheap on rockauto i believe if you need to replace any

1 - 7 of 7 Posts