A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2004 Nissan sentra ser spec-v 2.5L that has 165,952 miles on it and it has been a really reliable car until recently. When starting it acts like it is going to die. Yesterday I was merging onto the freeway and the car died. The hazard lights were still working but it took a few minutes before my car would start again. I've changed all of the spark plugs and wires and the throttle position sensor as well as the crank shaft sensor and the check engine light came on after it lost power on the free way. The diagnostics tool gives a code that says cylinder 3 misfire. When I took a live data scan it showed the "Fuel sys 1 CL", the SHRTFT1 jumps from 1.6 to 0.0 to -1.6. I noticed recently when I start the car there is a gasoline smell and possibly antifreeze smell coming through the vents. I am truly at a loss as of what is going on so if anyone has any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it. I'm at the point where I'm about to give up on this car to try to find something more reliable. I care for my elderly Grandmother since my Grandfather just recently passed away and I absolutely need a reliable vehicle in case of an emergency.

·
Administrator
7,175 Posts
Misfire on cylinder 3 sounds like a head gasket failure, check your coolant level.

It dying on the highway the way you describe sounds like a charging issue and both alternator and battery needs to be replaced.

These are what come to mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been losing any coolant, it's full. I just replaced the battery two months ago but the alternator has never been replaced as far as I know. Is there a way to test it to see if it is bad? Sorry, I'm really learning how to do all of this myself because I've always had a guy around that would do the mechanic stuff and now that I don't have anyone to do it I've had to learn how to do it myself. So I may ask questions about things that would be common knowledge for most but I'm just learning all of this stuff on my own.
Thank you for your advice and input. It really helps me out.

Misfire on cylinder 3 sounds like a head gasket failure, check your coolant level.

It dying on the highway the way you describe sounds like a charging issue and both alternator and battery needs to be replaced.

These are what come to mind.

·
Administrator
7,175 Posts
I can't remember if the auto parts store can test the alternator while still on the car, if not it would have to come out, think there is a how to on that but depending on what tools you have as well.
If you have a multimeter, you can check the amps and voltage coming from it.

Try moving the number 3 coil pack to another cylinder, see if the misfire follows, at some point do a compression test on the cylinders to see if cylinder 3 is reading lower than the other ones.

Could double check the security of your electrical connector to the charging system, and I can't think of anything that would cause the coolant and fuel smell outside of exhaust leaks, overheating or head gasket issues...I know there's other answers but drawing blanks right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts