A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking because I'm thinking of going down that road. I'm fully aware that my engine doesn't have the capability of the QR or the VQ. It never will. I'd just like to give my car a little kick in the pants and be faster than half the Hondas in my area

·
39,045 Posts
Why not just boost it?

That should give you more power than you'll need with adjust-ability.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine has 106k miles on it. I fear if I boost it, the engine will quit on me faster

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
turbo that little guy it fast then all those dumb Hondas (and don't cheat out on the oil lines to the turbo you don't see it going KABOOM!! like the cartoons sorry i just been reading Street Turbochargering By HP books)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for your advice guys. I could realistically turbo it. Shogunsentra in Florida did it before he sold the car. If I take care of it and not cheap out on parts, maybe the engine could last.

*EDIT*
After some thought, I'm gonna turbo the QG. I think it'd be fun, having a built car instead of a bolted one. Plus my sentra friend Raider is gonna help me gather parts and install them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Turbo it, but don't use one of those older style t3 type turbos.

The best turbo for the qg18 without a doubt is the gtx2860r @ 12psi it's operating bang smack in its optimum efficiency range.

I've Turboed my qg18de powered n16 pulsar. It's an 04 model.

As for engine management, I'm the first and I think only qg18 in the world using uprev, and I couldn't rate it highly enough.
You can use something like a SAFC but realistically speaking, while under boost, you need to add fuel, but retard timing. The safc has no timing control. Any DECENT tuner will advise you of this.

·
39,045 Posts
Glad you're boosting.

As mentioned earlier, don't cheap out on the parts and take your time.
Also, make sure and tune it properly, so don't cheap out with that either.

Shogun might have a 'boosted qg parts' thread on here basically listing all the parts needed to boost a qg.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Glad you're boosting.

As mentioned earlier, don't cheap out on the parts and take your time.
Also, make sure and tune it properly, so don't cheap out with that either.

Shogun might have a 'boosted qg parts' thread on here basically listing all the parts needed to boost a qg.
yea ask shogun he had a nice boosted qg
or....VQ swap lol.

·
39,045 Posts
I remember when he was building it.

He was the QG Lord here.....LOL

·
39,045 Posts
Jr95 is going to take over.

I hope 95 isn't his birth year...LOL.. :ugh:

·
Registered
232 Posts
yea ask shogun he had a nice boosted qg
or....VQ swap lol.
Is he still even active on the forums??

I've gotten 187hp out of my qg18de+t using a t25 @ 10psi on an extremely safe tune.

Check out my build thread.

There's area's where shoguns how to I'd good, but other areas where I'd opt for better quality gear etc.

Also, while the extra power is great, think about how you'll get that to the ground.
Look at better tyres and an lsd while your at it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info guys. I'm definitely not gonna cheap out on parts, cheap and fast isn't reliable. I was thinking a T3 turbo cause it's in Shogun's Turbo Guide thread, but if there are newer and better parts out there nowadays, that's great!

I think the first parts I'm going to buy are gauges and pods from Glowshift. AFR, Boost PSI and Oil PSI gauges sound good

·
Registered
232 Posts
Chimmike was the old qg18de guru.

He stated the best turbo for the qg18de was the gt2860rs with a .64 rear housing, and I couldn't agree more. Well that was before the gtx mid frames were released.

The t3 style turbos are cheap and inefficient.

But take what me, shogun and any others have said as gospel and do your own homework. Understand how a turbo works, how to read compressor maps and how to select the correct turbo for your application.

Andrew(username llsaw) has a built qg18de+t pushing over 300whp using some type of Borg Warner turbo. He's using a full stand alone ecu.

Different products and different needs will give you different results.

·
6,543 Posts
Chimmike was the old qg18de guru.

He stated the best turbo for the qg18de was the gt2860rs with a .64 rear housing, and I couldn't agree more. Well that was before the gtx mid frames were released.

The t3 style turbos are cheap and inefficient.

But take what me, shogun and any others have said as gospel and do your own homework. Understand how a turbo works, how to read compressor maps and how to select the correct turbo for your application.

Andrew(username llsaw) has a built qg18de+t pushing over 300whp using some type of Borg Warner turbo. He's using a full stand alone ecu.

Different products and different needs will give you different results.
You beat me to the punch. Chimmike was the guru. I think he may still hang around b15sentra.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts